Experience of business community on how to detect and stop market distribution of juices not conforming to legal requirements
N.N. Ivanova, L.М. Khomich
“Russian Union of Juice Producers” (RSPS), a non-commercial organization, build 1, 3 Arkhangelsky Pereulok, Moscow, 1101000, Russian Federation
Since 2010 The Russian Union of Juice Producers (RUJP) have been examining quality of juices that are sold on the Russian market. The basic goal here is to prevent manufacture and distribution of products that don't conform to legal re-quirements; to build up and maintain trust of consumers into juice products manufactured in the country; to create better conditions for fair competition. Since then, a control system has been built; is covers most juice manufacturers that work on the Russian market, procedures for research and results processing have been worked out and tested, and there is tight interaction between manufacturers, retailers and wholesalers, and state authorities responsible for control (surveillance). Quality monitoring system (QMS) is a structure created by the Russian Union of Juice Producers for accomplishing quality monitoring. QMS of the RUJP is similar to European systems for control over juices quality, such as EQCS (European Quality Control System for Juice and Nectars for Fruit and Vegetables), and SGF (Sure-Global-Fair). Annually the RUJP experts plan examinations (tests) of juices and decide on types of products that should be examined, a number of samples to be examined, and sampling criteria. Products to be examined are usually bought in retail outlets and they can be either manufactured by companies that are RUJP members or by side organizations. Products are purchased taking into account risk criteria worked out by the RUJP. There is an Expert Council that operates within the RUJP; its basic functions are to draw up examinations (tests) programs as per quality and safety criteria, assessment of marking and organoleptic properties of a product, as well as results of physical and chemical research. If any examination reveal a product that doesn't conform to legal requirements, the RUJP take action to stop its manufacturing and distribution on the market.
- Potreblenie produktov pitaniya v domashnikh khozyaistvakh [Household food consumption]. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoi statistiki: ofitsial'nyi sait. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/con¬nect/rosstat_main/ros¬stat/ru/sta¬tistics/pub-lications/catalog/doc_1140095125312 (18.10.2018) (in Russian).
- Landon S. Fruit juice nutrition and health. Food Australia, 2007, vol. 59, pp. 533–538.
- Nicklas T.A., O’Neil C., Fulgoni V. Replacing 100 % Fruit Juice with Whole Fruit Results in a Trade Off of Nutrients in the Diets of Children. Current Nutrition and Food Science, 2015, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 267–273.
- Nicklas T.A., O’Neil C., Fulgoni V. Consumption of 100 % Fruit Juice is Associated with Better Nutrient Intake and Diet Quality but not with Weight Status in Children: NHANES 2007–2010. Int. J. Child. Health Nutri., 2015, vol. 4, pp. 112–121.
- Nicklas T.A., O'Neil C.E., Kleinman R. Association between 100 % juice consumption and nutrient intake and weight of children aged 2 to 11 years. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med., 2008, vol. 162, рp. 557–565.
- Clemens R., Drewnowski A., Ferruzzi M., Toner C.D., Welland D. Squeezing Fact from Fiction about 100 % Fruit Juice: Workshop Proceedings. Adv. Nutri., 2015, vol. 6, no. 6–2, pp. 236s–241s.
- Aschoff J.K., Rolke C.L., Breusing N., Bosy-Westphal A., Högel J., Carle R., Schweiggert R.M. Bioavailability of β-cryptoxanthin is greater from pasteurized orange juice than from fresh oranges – a randomized cross-over study. Mol. Nutr. Food Res., 2015, vol. 59, pp. 1896–1904.
- Aschoff J.K., Riedl K.M., Cooperstone J.L., Hogel J., Bosy-Westphal A., Schwartz S.J., Carle R., Schweiggert R.M. Urinary excretion of Citrus flavanones and their major catabolites after consumption of fresh oranges and pasteurized orange juice – a randomized cross-over study. Mol. Nutr. Food Res., 2016, vol. 60, pp. 2602–2610.
- Ivanova N.N., Khomich L.M., Perova I.B. Nutrientnyi profil' yablochnogo soka [Apple Juice Nutrient Profile]. Voprosy pitaniya, 2017, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 125–136 (in Russian).
- Ivanova N.N., Khomich L.M., Perova I.B. Orange juice nutritional profile. Voprosy pitaniya, 2017, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 103–113 (in Russian).
- Ivanova N.N., Khomich L.M., Beketova N.A. Tomato juice nutritional profile. Voprosy pitaniya, 2018, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 53–64 (in Russian).
- Ivanova N.N., Khomich L.M., Perova I.B., Eller K.I. Sour cherry juice nutritional profile. Voprosy pitaniya, 2018, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 78–86 (in Russian).
- Ivanova N.N., Khomich L.M., Perova I.B., Eller K.I. Nutrientnyi profil' greipfrutovogo soka [Grapefruit Juice Nutrient Profile]. Voprosy pitaniya, 2018, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 85–94 (in Russian).
- Souci S.W., Fachmann W., Kraut H. Food composition and nutrition tables, based on the 7th edition. Stuttgart, Medpharm GmbH Scientific Publishers, 2008, pp. 1198–1199.
- RSPS podvodit itogi raboty za 2017 god / Novosti [RSEF summarizes the work for 2017 / News]. Rossiiskii soyuz proizvoditelei sokov (RSPS). Available at: http://www.rsps.ru/news (18.09.2018) (in Russian) (18.09.2018).
- Cozzolino D. Recent trends on the use of infrared spectroscopy to trace and authenticate natural and agricultural food products. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews, 2012, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 518–530.
- Benjamin S.R., de Oliveira Neto J.R., de Macedo I.Y.L., Bara M.T.F., Gunha L.C., de Faria Carvalho L.A., de Souza Gil E. Electroanalysis for Quality Control of Acerola (Malpighia emarginata) Fruits and their Commercial Products. Food Ana-lytical Methods, 2015, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 86–92.
- Hosu A., Cimpoiu C. Thin-layer chromatography applied in quality assessment of beverages derived from fruits. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, 2017, vol. 40, no. 5–6, pp. 239–246.
- Nakonieczna A., Paszkowski B., Wilczek A., Szypłowska A., Skierucha W. Electrical impedance measurements for detecting artificial chemical additives in liquid food products. Food Control, 2016, vol. 66, pp. 116–129.
- Vinogradova I.V. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po samoregulirovaniyu kachestva produktsii. In-t nats. proekta "Ob-shchestv, dogovor" [Guidelines for self-regulation of product quality. Inst Nat project "Societies contract"]. Moscow, MakTsentr Publ., 2003, 73 p. (in Russian).
- Chudakova E.A., Kashirina N.A. Vysokoe kachestvo i bezopasnost' sokovoi produktsii kak rezul'tat primeneniya strukturirovannoi sistemy menedzhmenta na predpriyatiyakh pishchevoi promyshlennosti [High quality and safety of juice products as a result of the use of a structured management system at food industry enterprises]. Tekhnologii i tovarovedenie sel'skokhozyaistvennoi produktsii, 2014, no. 3, pp. 66–75 (in Russian).