Behavioral factors which can influence preservation of young people's health
M.A. Gruzdeva, A.V. Korolenko
Vologda Research Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 56A Gorky Str., Vologda, 160014, Russian Federation
Young people play a most important role in society's life as they possess significant intellectual, creative, labor and reproductive potential. However, this potential might not find its implementation in reality due to both inevitable reduction in number of people belonging to this population category and deteriorating quality of it. And a key issue here is preservation of young people's health. Contemporary young people have poorer health than the previous generations and we can observe a so called "social ill health funnel". There is another acute issue related to demographic losses caused by mortality among young people; they die due to outer causes, circulatory system diseases, malignant neoplasms, and digestive organs diseases, and this mortality is to a great extent determined by behavioral factors. The paper dwells on the analysis of basic self-preservation behav-ioral parameters determined via a sociological questioning performed among people living in Vologda region. We revealed that those respondents who were younger than 30 tended to evaluate their health as being "good" and "very good" more frequently than older ones; chronic diseases were significantly less frequent among people from younger age groups. We detected that 74 % young people pursued certain health-preserva¬tion practices while the remaining 26 % did nothing to preserve their health. Young people explain their striving for health preservation mostly by a desire to have healthy children, to look well, and to achieve their life goals. They don't often visit a doctor with prophylaxis in mind; they tend to do sports. But still, there are young people who indulge in self-destructing behavior. Young people drink low alcohol beverages more often than people from older age groups. 36 % of them smoke but 51 % of smokers wish to give this bad habit up. Fast food is also more popular with young people: 39 % eat it several times a week. And sometimes it is a desire to overcome a stress that makes young people smoke, drink alcohol or eat unhealthy food.
- Chislennost' naseleniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii po polu i vozrastu [The RF population as per sex and age]. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoi statistiki. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/pub... (14.03.2018) (in Russian).
- Demografiya: Demograficheskii prognoz do 2035 goda [Demography: Demographic forecast up to 2035]. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoi statistiki. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/pop... (14.03.2018) (in Russian).
- Molodezh' sovremennoi Rossii – klyuchevoi resurs modernizatsii: monografiya [Young people of modern Russia are the key resource for modernization: monograph]. In: A.A. Shabunova ed. Vologda, ISERT RAN Publ., 2013, 148 p. (in Russian).
- Rimashevskaya N.M. Social'naya politika sberezheniya naroda: radikal'noe izmenenie negativnogo trenda zdorov'ya rossijskogo naseleniya [Social policy of nation preservation: drastic change of negative health trend of the Russian population]. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial'nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz, 2010, no. 4 (12), pp. 48–61 (in Russian).
- Deti reform [Children of reforms]. In: N.M. Rimashevskaya ed. Moscow, Institut ekonomicheskikh strategii Publ., 2011, 304 p. (in Russian).
- Chislo umershih po prichinam smerti, po polu i vozrastu po Vologodskoj oblasti v 2006 godu: statisticheskii sbornik [Death cases in Vologda regions in 2006 as per causes, sex, and age: statistic data collection]. Vologda, Vologdastat Publ., 2007, 150 p. (in Russian).
- Chislo umershih po prichinam smerti, po polu i vozrastu po Vologodskoj oblasti v 2015 godu: statisticheskii sbornik [Death cases in Vologda regions in 2015 as per causes, sex, and age: statistic data collection]. Vologda, Vologdastat Publ., 2016, 300 p. (in Russian).
- Gardner J.W., Sanborn J.S. Years of potential life lost (YPLL) – what does it measure? Epidemiology, 1990, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 322–329.
- Novgorodova A.V. Poteryannye gody zhizni – indikator zdorov'ya naseleniya [Years of life lost as the indicator of population health]. Narodonaselenie, 2015, no. 2, pp. 74–86 (in Russian).
- Lisicyn Yu.P. Obshchestvennoe zdorov'e i zdravoohranenie [Public health and health care]. Moscow, GEHOTAR-MED Publ., 2002, 520 p. (in Russian).
- Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2014. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2014, 302 p.
- Sommer I., Griebler U., Mahlknecht P. [et al.]. Socioeconomic inequalities in non-communicable diseases and their risk factors: an overview of systematic reviews. BMC Public Health, 2015, vol. 15. Available at: https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-015-22.... DOI: 10.1186/s12889-015-2227-y (07.05.2018).
- Wu F., Guo Y., Chatterji S., Zheng Ya. [et al.]. Common risk factors for chronic non-communicable diseases among older adults in China, Ghana, Mexico, India, Russia and South Africa: the study on global AGEing and adult health (SAGE) wave 1. BMC Public Health, 2015, vol. 15. Available at: https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-015-14.... DOI: 10.1186/s12889-015-1407-0 (07.05.2018).
- Nakitanda A., Shvireb G., Armstrong T. Rastushchee bremya neinfekcionnyh zabolevanij i rol' fizicheskoj aktivnosti [The increasing burden of non communicable diseases and the role of physical activity]. Profilakticheskaya medicina, 2014, no 1, pp. 12–17 (in Russian).
- Rezapkina V.G. Samorazrushitel'noe povedenie: prichiny i profilaktika [Self-destructing behavior: causes and prevention]. Akademicheskij Vestnik Akademii social'nogo upravleniya, 2017, no. 2 (24), pp. 18–24 (in Russian).
- Shabunova A.A., Korolenko A.V. Sovremennaya model' zdorovogo obraza zhizni: mesto profilaktiki v povsednevnyh praktikah naseleniya regiona [Contemporary model of healthy lifestyle: prophylaxis in the daily routines of the region's population]. Demograficheskij potencial stran EAEHS: sbornik stateiVIII Ural'skogo demograficheskogo foruma. Ekaterinburg, Institut ehkonomiki UrO RAN Publ., 2017, pp. 489–497 (in Russian).
- Korchagina P.S., Shabunova A.A. Cennostnye ustanovki i povedencheskie praktiki kak znachimye faktory samosohranitel'nogo povedeniya molodezhi [Value orientations and behavioral practices as significant factors in self-preservation behavior]. Social'noe prostranstvo, 2015, no. 1. Available at: http://sa.vscc.ac.ru/article/1641 (20.03.2018) (in Russian).
- Shabunova A.A. Zdorov'e naseleniya v Rossii: sostoyanie i dinamika [Public health in Russia: state and dynamics]. Vologda, ISEHRT RAN Publ., 2010, 408 p. (in Russian).
- Miller M.A. Samosohranitel'noe povedenie naseleniya kak ehlement demograficheskogo razvitiya [Selfpreservation behavior of the population as an element of demographic development]. Aktual'nye voprosy ehkonomicheskih nauk, 2009, no. 8-1, pp. 167–171 (in Russian).
- Sugars intake for adults and children. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2015, 49 p.
- Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2003, 149 p.
- Buhtiyarov I.V., Rubcov M.Yu., Kostenko N.A. Sovremennye psihologicheskie faktory riska i proyavleniya professional'nogo stressa [Modern psychological risk factors and manife stations of the professional stress]. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk, 2014, vol. 16, no. 5–2, pp. 773–775 (in Russian).
- Gruzdeva M.A. Instrumenty formirovaniya samosohranitel'nyh praktik naseleniya: social'nye seti i blogosfera [Tools for shaping people’s self-preservation practices: social networks and the blogosphere]. Social'noe prostranstvo, 2017, no. 4. Available at: http://sa.vscc.ac.ru/article/2378 (27.03.2018).