Hygienic assessment of risk caused by application of graminis ke and rinkor vg herbicides
M.M. Vasileva, A.A. Popel, E.S. Yurkevich, I.I. Ilyukova
Scientific-practical Hygiene Center, 8 Akademicheskaya Str., Minsk, 220012, Republic of Belarus
Our research goal was to perform hygienic assessment of risks caused by Graminis KE and Rinkor VG herbicides for people working with them. We applied sanitary-hygienic and toxicological research techniques in our work in full conformity with valid technical regulatory documents and guidelines. We set the following research tasks: to analyze literature and information sources; to perform primary toxicological assessment of preparatory herbicides and study their acute toxicity together with sensitizing effects at intragastric introduction, cutaneous application, and inhalation exposure on laboratory animals; to examine herbicides cumulative effects and calculation their cumulation coefficient; to examine working conditions during a natural experiment when Graminis KE and Rinkor VG herbicides were applied and calculate risks for workers; to work out scientifically grounded recommendations on their safety application in agriculture.
The examined herbicides, Graminis KE and Rinkor VG, are classified as substances with the 3rd hazard degree as per their toxicometric parameters (moderately hazardous substances). Calculated risks of complex (inhalant and dermal) exposure to Gramins KE and Rinkor VG herbicides for workers (operators who refills them and those who spray plants with them) when they are applied in agriculture don't exceed acceptable levels (are less than 1). Our work results allow to enrich a set of plant protectors which are applied in the country and to use such preparations in agriculture which are the least harmful for health and the environment. Application of Graminis KE and Rinkor VG herbicides will help to increase crops productivity.
- Vasil'ev D.S. Primenenie gerbitsidov, desikantov i defoliantov na posevakh maslichnykh kul'tur [Applica-tion of herbicides, dessicants, and defoliants on oil-plant crops]. Maslichnye kul'tury: Nauchno-tekhnicheskii byulleten' Vserossiiskogo nauchno-issledovatel'skogo instituta maslichnykh kul'tur, 1967, pp. 83–85 (in Russian).
- Vasil'ev D.S. Rekomendatsii po bor'be s ambroziei polynnolistnoi [Recommendations on fighting against ragweed]. Krasnodar, 1970, 21 p. (in Russian).
- Gerbitsidy [Herbicides]. KhiMik: sait o khimii. Available at: http://www.xumuk.ru/encyklopedia/983.html (02.04.2017) (in Russian).
- Goncharov N.R., Kashirskii O.P. Velichina urozhaya, sokhranyaemogo blagodarya primeneniyu pestitsi-dov [Size of a crop which is preserved due to herbicides application]. Zashchita i karantin rastenii, 2004, no. 10, pp. 49 (in Russian).
- Izhevskii S.S. Negativnye posledstviya primeneniya pestitsidov [Negative consequences of herbicides application]. Zashchita i karantin rastenii, 2001, no. 5, pp. 16–19 (in Russian).
- Mel'nikov H.H. Pestitsidy. Khimiya, tekhnologiya i primenenie [Pesticides. Chemistry, technology, and application]. Moscow, 1987, 712 p. (in Russian).
- Metod otsenki riska vozdeistviya pestitsidov na rabotayushchikh: Metodicheskie rekomendatsii №2001/73 [A technique for assessing risks caused by exposure to herbicides on workers: Methodical guidelines No.2001/73]. Moscow, 2001, 18 p. (in Russian).
- Metodicheskie ukazaniya po gigienicheskoi otsenke novykh pestitsidov / utv. MZ SSSR 13.03.87 № 4263-87 [Methodical guidelines on hygienic assessment of new pesticides / approved by the USSR Public Healthcare Ministry on March 13, 1987 No. 4263-87]. Kiev, Minzdrav SSSR, Publ., 1988, 210 p. (in Russian).
- Milovanova Z.G. Chem propalyvat' podsolnechnik [How to weed a sunflower]. Zashchita i karantin rastenii, 2005, no. 3, pp. 44 (in Russian).
- Prozorovskii V.B., Prozorovskaya V.M., Demchenko V.M. Ekspress-metod opredeleniya srednei effek-tivnosti dozy i ee oshibki [Rapid test method to determine average dose efficiency and its error]. Farmakologiya i toksikologiya, 1978, no. 4, pp. 497–502 (in Russian).
- Greene S.A. Sittig's Handbook of Pesticides and Agricultural Chemicals. USA SciTech Publishing, Inc, 2006, 1213 р.
- Hamilton D., Crossley S. Pesticide residues in food and drinking water. J. Wiley, 2004, pp. 22.
- Kegley S.E., Wise L.J. Pesticides in fruits and vegetables: University Science Books. Great Britain, 1998, 78 p.
- Levine M.J. Pesticides: A Toxic Time Bomb in our Midst. Praeger Publishers, 2007, 265 p.
- Hond F. [еt al.]. Pesticides: problems, improvements, alternatives. Blackwell Science. Great Britain, 2003, 273 p.
- Tomlin C. The Pesticide Manual, 14th edn. London: British Crop Protection Council (BCPC), 2006, 1350 p.
- Ware G.W., Whitacre D.M. Pesticide Book. Great Britain: Meister Publishing Co, 2004, 488 p.