Hygienic assessment of ambient air quality and health risks to population of Krasnoyarsk region
D.V. Goryaev, I.V. Tikhonova
Administration of the Federal Supervision Service for Consumer's Rights Protection and Human Welfare in the Krasnoyarsk Region, 21 Karatanova St., Krasnoyarsk, 660049, Russian Federation
This study fulfills the hygienic assessment of ambient air quality in the populated areas of the Krasnoyarsk Region. It is shown that the total number of emission sources in the region is more than 23 600 units, what is higher than in previous years. Around 90.7 % out of them correspond to the set standards of permissible emissions. Air monitoring was carried by the establishments of Roshydromet, Rospotrebnadzor and by other organizations at 94 observation posts in eight urban districts and 2 municipal districts of the region. The status of the ambient air in a sequence of the populated areas of Krasnoyarsk region, namely in the cities Achinsk, Kansk, Krasnoyarsk, Lesosibirsk, Minusinsk, Norilsk, is characterized by the presence of certain pollutants, the level of which exceeds the hygienic standards. Prioritized pollutants are benzo(a)pyrene, suspended solids, nitrogen, and sulfur dioxide, formaldehyde and others. In the settlements the economic entities violate the legal requirements in the field of sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the population. The probability of the population’s health deterioration grows along with the growth of risk factors. The risks of respiratory diseases, immune system, blood and blood-forming organs and the additional mortality are assessed as unacceptable. Ensuring air quality of the urban residential areas and municipal districts of the Krasnoyarsk Territory requires the introducing the complex measures to improve it. The established levels of human health risk associated with exposure to polluted air are an additional criterion for selection of the priority objects when planning the implementation of risk-based model for supervisory activities in the field of sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the population.
- Dement'ev A.A., Lyapkalo A.A., Curgan A.M. Dinamika zabolevaemosti detskogo naselenija, prozhiva-jushhego v rajonah goroda s razlichnym kachestvom atmosfernogo vozduha [Dynamics of morbidity in children who lives in the city districts with different air quality]. Fundamental'nye issledovanija, 2014, no. 7–3, pp. 473–477. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Klein S.V. Optimizacija programm nabljudenija za kachestvom atmosfernogo vozduha selitebnyh territorij v sisteme social'no-gigienicheskogo monitoringa na baze prostranstvennogo analiza i ocenki riska dlja zdorov'ja naselenija [Optimization of programs for monitoring air quality in residential areas in the system of social and hygienic monitoring based on spatial analysis and risk assessment for human health]. Permskijmedicinskijzhurnal, 2010, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 130–138. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z. Aktual'nye problemy sostojanija sredy obitanija i zdorov'ja naselenija stran sodruzhestva nezavisimyh gosudarstv [Actual problems of inhabitancy state and health of the population in commonwealths of independent states]. Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk, 2012, vol. 14, no. 5-2, pp. 527–533. (in Russian).
- Zaryaeva E.V. Neobhodimost' upravlenija kachestvom atmosfernogo vozduha na territorijah riska Voro-nezhskoj oblasti [The need for quality control of atmospheric air at risk areas Voronezh]. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta, 2010, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 185–186. (in Russian).
- Ryzhakov S.A., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Alekseev V.B., Podluzhnaja M.Ja., Kiryanov D.A. Makrojeko-nomicheskij analiz poter' zdorov'ja, verojatnostno obuslovlennyh jemissijami zagrjaznjajushhih veshhestv v atmosfernyj vozduh [Macroeconomic analysis of health loss probability associated with emissions of polluting substances in the air]. Permskijmedicinskijzhurnal, 2009, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 139–143. (in Russian).
- Mishina A.L. Ispol'zovanie metodologii ocenki riska dlja upravlenija kachestvom atmosfernogo vozduha [The use of risk assessment methodology for air quality management]. Zdorov'e naselenija i sreda obitanija, 2009, no. 6, pp. 26–29. (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po ocenke riska dlja zdorov'ja naselenija pri vozdejstvii himicheskih veshhestv, zagrjaznja-jushhih okruzhajushhuju sredu R 220.127.116.110-04 [Guide to health risk assessment when exposed to chemicals pol-luting the environment R 18.104.22.1680-04 P]. Moscow: Federal'nyj centr Gossanjepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii, 2004, 143 p. (in Russian).
- Popova A.Ju., Bragina I.V., Simkalova L.M., Mitrohin O.V., Hmura M.V., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Kiryanov D.A., Chigvintsev V.M., Kamaltdinov M.R., Sedusova Je.V., Parfenov A.V., Romanenko K.V., Kuzmin S.V., Dikonskaja O.V., Gurvich V.B., Sboev A.S., Horoshavin V.A., Akimova L.N. [et al]. Risk-orientirovannaja model' kontrol'no-nadzornoj dejatel'nosti v sfere obespechenija sanitarno-jepidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchija. Klassifikacija vidov dejatel'nosti i hozjajstvujushhih subektov po potencial'nomu risk prichinenija vreda zdorov'ju cheloveka dlja organizacii planovyh kontrol'no-nadzornyh meroprijatij: Metodicheskie rekomendacii. MR 5.1.1. –14 [The risk-oriented model of control and supervisory activities in the field of sanitary and epidemiological welfare. Classification of activities and businesses on the potential risk of harm to human health for the organization of the planned supervisory activities: Guidelines. МР 5.1.1. –14]. Moscow, 2014, 71 p. (in Russian).
- Tuljakova O.V., Sizova E.N. Zabolevaemost' detej v zavisimosti ot vozrasta i nalichija ajerotehnogennogo zagrjaznenija [The incidence of children in dependence of age and the presence of man-caused contaminants in air]. Novyeissledovanija, 2012, no. 2 (31), pp. 47–55. (in Russian).
- James P., Ito K., Banay R.F., Buonocore J.J., Wood B., Arcaya M.C. A health impact assessment of a proposed bill to decrease speed limits on local roads in Massachusetts. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2014, vol. 11 (10), pp. 10269–10291.
- Heller J., Givens M.L., Yuen T.K., Gould S., Jandu M.B., Bourcier E., Choi T. Advancing efforts to achieve health equity: equity metrics for health impact assessment practice. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2014, vol. 11 (11), pp. 11054–11064.
- Chart-Asa C., Gibson J.M. Health impact assessment of traffic-related air pollution at the urban project scale: Influence of variability and uncertainty. Science of the Total Environment, 2015, рр. 506–507: 409–42. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.11.020.
- Kampa M., Castanas E. Human health effects of air pollution. Environmental Pollution, 2008, no. 151, pp. 362–367.
- Kumar N., Foster A.D. Air quality interventions and spatial dynamics of air pollution in delhi and its sur-roundings. International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, 2009, vol. 4, no. 1–2, pp. 85–111.
- Suther E, Sandel M. Health impact assessments. Rhode Island Medical Journal, 2013, vol. 96 (7), pp. 27–30.
- Haigh F., Baum F., Dannenberg A.L., Harris M.F., Harris-Roxas B., Keleher H., Kemp L., Morgan R., Ng Chok H., Spickett J., Harris E. The effectiveness of health impact assessment in influencing decision-making in Australia and New Zealand 2005–2009. MC Public Health, 2013. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-1188.