Toxicological evaluation of nano-sized colloidal silver in experiments on mice. behavioral reactions, morphology of internals
N.V. Zaitseva1, M.A. Zemlyanova1, V.N. Zvezdin1, A.A. Dovbysh1, T.I. Akafyeva2, I.V. Gmoshinski3, S.A. Khotimchenko3
1 FSBI "FNTS health-care technology risk management to public health", Russian Federation, Perm, 82 Monastyrskaya St., 614045
2 Perm State National research university, Russian Federation, Perm, 15 Bukireva St., 614990
3 FSBI "Institute of Nutrition", Russian Federation, Moscow, 2/14 Ustinsky Passage, 109240
The results of toxicity studies of nano-sized colloidal silver (NCC), the most widely used in medicine, food and life, are given. When evaluating safe doses of silver NP (using commercially available NCC solution stabilized with polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), with the size of silver NP at the range of 5-80 nm) when orally administered to male mice, BALB/c mice at doses of 0.1; 1.0 and 10 mg/kg of body weight per silver different effects from the motor and orienting-exploratory activity were revealed, for the part of them the dependence on the dose of the NCC was typical. The following peculiarities were found: reduction in motor activity to reduce the frequency of activities requiring physical effort, reduction of the execution time of these actions; increasing anxiety in terms of frequency and duration of attacks of orienting-investigative activity and animals washing. Morphological examination revealed a series of tissue changes of internal organs (especially liver and spleen, to a lesser extent – kidney, heart and colon) with increase of the spectrum and severity of structural changes with increasing doses of the NCC. From the combination of the data the conclusion was made that maximal ineffective dose (NOAEL) of this nanomaterial at subacute oral administration is no more than 0.1 mg/kg body weight.
- Buresh Ja., Bureshova O., Hyuston D.P. Metodiki i osnovnye jeksperimenty po izucheniju mozga i povedenija [Techniques and basic experiments on the brain and behavior]. Moscow: Vysshaja Shkola, 1991, 268 p. (in Russian)
- Buzulukov Ju.P., Gmoshinskiy I.V., Raspopov R.V., Demin V.F., Solovyev V.Ju., Kuzmin P.G., Shafeev G.A., Hotimchenko S.A. Izuchenie absorbcii i bioraspredelenija nanochastic nekotoryh neorganicheskih veshhestv, vvodimyh v zheludochno-kishechnyj trakt krys, s ispol'zovaniem metoda radioaktivnyh indikatorov [Study of biodistribution of nanoparticles and absorption of some inorganic substances introduced into the gastrointestinal tract of rats using the method of radiotracer]. Medicinskaja radiologija i radiacionnaja bezopasnost', 2012, vol. 57, mo. 3, pp. 5–12. (in Russian)
- Mayanskiy A.N., Mayanskiy D.N. Ocherki o nejtrofile i makrofage [Essays on neutrophils and macrophages]. Edit by V.P. Kaznacheev. Novosibirsk: Nauka. Sib. otdelenie, 1983, 256 p. (in Russian)
- Onishhenko G.G., Tutel'jan V.A., Gmoshinskij I.V., Hotimchenko S.A. Razvitie sistemy ocenki bezopasnosti i kontrolja nanomaterialov i nanotehnologij v Rossijskoj Federacii [Development of the safety assessment and control of nanomaterials and nanotechnology in the Russian Federation]. Gigiena i sanitarija, 2013, no. 1, pp. 4–11. (in Russian)
- Shumakova A.A., Smirnova V.V., Tananova O.N., Trushina Je.N., Kravchenko L.V., Aksenov I.V., Selifanov A.V., Soto H.S., Kuznecova G.G., Bulahov A.V., Safenkova I.V., Gmoshinskij I.V., Hotimchenko S.A. Toksikologo-gigienicheskaja harakteristika nanochastic serebra, vvodimyh v zheludochno-kishechnyj trakt krys [Toxicological-hygienic characteristic of silver nanoparticles introduced into the gastrointestinal tract of rats]. Voprosy pitanija, 2011, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 9–18. (in Russian)
- Buzulukov Yu.P., Arianova E.A., Demin V.F., Safenkova I.V., Gmoshinski I.V., Tutelyan V.A. Bioaccumulation of silver and gold nanoparticles in organs and tissues of rats studied by neutron activation analysis [Bioaccumulation of silver and gold nanoparticles in organs and tissues of rats studied by neutron activation analysis]. Biology Bulletin, 2014, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 255–263. (in Russian)
- Lee J.H., Kim Y.S., Song K.S. and etc. Biopersistence of silver nanoparticles in tissues from Sprague–Dawley rats. Part. Fibre Toxicol, 2013, vol. 10, no. 36. Available at: http://www.particleandfibretoxicology.com/content/10/1/36.
- Vejerano E.P, Leon E.C., Holder A.L., Marr L.C. Characterization of particle emissions and fate of nanomaterials during incineration. Environ. Sci.: Nano, 2014, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 133–143.
- Hong J.S., Kim S., Lee S.H. and etc. Combined repeated-dose toxicity study of silver nanoparticles with the reproduction/developmental toxicity screening test. Nanotoxicology, 2014, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 349–362.
- Van der Zande M., Vandebriel R.J., Doren E.V. and etc. Distribution, elimination, and toxicity of silver nanoparticles and silver ions in rats after 28-day oral exposure. ACS Nano, 2012, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 7427–7442.
- Blaser S.A., Scheringer M., MacLeod M., Hungerbühler K. Estimation of cumulative aquatic exposure and risk due to silver: contribution of nano-functionalized plastics and textiles [Estimation of cumulative aquatic exposure and risk due to silver: contribution of nano-functionalized plastics and textiles]. Sci. Total Environ, 2008, vol. 390, no. 2–3, pp. 396–409. (in Russian)
- Guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. Eighth Edition. Committee for the Update of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals; Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR); Division on Earth and Life Studies (DELS); National Research Council of the national academies. Washington: The national academies press, 2011.
- Lapresta-Fernández A., Fernández A., Blasco J. Nanoecotoxicity effects of engineered silver and gold nanoparticles in aquatic organisms. Trends Anal.Chem., 2012, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 40–59.
- Marambio-Jones C., Hoek E.M.V. A review of the antibacterial effects of silver nanomaterials and potential implications for human health and the environment. J. Nanopart. Res. 2010, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1531–1551.
- Demin V.A., Gmoshinsky I.V., Demin V.F., Anciferova A.A., Buzulukov Yu.P., Khotimchenko S.A., Tutelyan V.A. Modeling interorgan distribution and bioaccumulation of engineered nanoparticles (using the example of silver nanoparticles) [Modeling interorgan distribution and bioaccumulation of engineered nanoparticles (using the example of silver nanoparticles)]. Nanotechnologies in Russia, 2015, vol. 10, no. 3–4, pp. 288–296. (in Russian)
- Xiu Z.M., Zhang Q.B., Puppala H.L., Colvin V.L., Alvarez P.J.J. Negligible Particle-Specific Antibacterial Activity of Silver Nanoparticles. Nano Lett., 2012, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 4271–4275.
- Park E.J., Bae E., Yi J. and etc. Repeated-dose toxicity and inflammatory responses in mice by oral administration of silver nanoparticles. Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol., 2010, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 162–168.
- Savage N., Diallo M.S. Nanomaterials and water purification: opportunities and challenges. J. Nanopart. Res., 2005, vol. 7, no. 4–5, pp. 331–342.
- Platonova T.A., Pridvorova S.M., Zherdev A.V., Vasilevskaja L.S., Arianova E.A., Gmoshinskij I.V., Hotimchenko S.A., Dzantiev B.B., Popov V.O., Tutel'jan V.A. Identifikacija nanochastic serebra v tkanjah slizistoj obolochki tonkoj kishki, pecheni i selezenki krys metodom prosvechivajushhej jelektronnoj mikroskopii [Identification of silver nanoparticles in the mucosal tissues of the small intestine, liver and spleen of rats by transmission electron microscopy]. Bjulleten' jeksperimental'noj biologii i mediciny, 2013, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 204–209. (in Russian)
- Fabrega J., Luoma S.N., Tyler C.R., Galloway T.S., Lead JR. Silver nanoparticles: behaviour and effects in the aquatic environment . Environ. Int., 2011, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 517–531.
- Philbrook N.A., Winn L.M, Afrooz A.R., Saleh N.B., Walker V.K. The effect of TiO(2) and Ag nanoparticles on reproduction and development of Drosophila melanogaster and CD-1 mice. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol, 2011, vol. 257, no. 3, pp. 429–436.
- Stensberg M.C., Wei Q., McLamore E.S., Porterfield D.M., Wei A., Sepúlveda M.S. Toxicological studies on silver nanoparticles: challenges and opportunities in assessment, monitoring and imaging. Nanomedicine (Lond), 2011, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 879–898.
- Kim Y.S., Kim J.S., Cho H.S. and etc. Twenty-eight-day oral toxicity, genotoxici-ty, and gender-related tissue distribution of silver nanoparticles in Sprague-Dawley rats. Inhal. Toxicol, 2008, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 575–583.