Health disorders in workers associated with health risks at workplaces in mining industry in the Arctic (Analytical review)
А.G. Fadeev1, D.V. Goryaev1, N.V. Zaitseva2, P.Z. Shur2, S.V. Redko2, V.А. Fokin2
1Krasnoyarsk Regional Office of the Federal Service for Surveillance over Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing, 21 Karatanova Str., Krasnoyarsk, 660097, Russian Federation
2Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
The review analyzes a range and prevalence of health disorders in workers employed at mining enterprises in the Arctic and exposed to heterogeneous occupational factors. We revealed that working processes typical for basic occupations in under-ground mining involved exposure to a set of heterogeneous harmful and (or) hazardous occupational factors such as intense occupational noise; elevated vibration; aerosols with predominantly fibrogenic effects, dusts and chemicals; high hardness and intensity typical for physical work; non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation. It was shown that diseases of the ear and mastoid, vibration syndrome, diseases of the musculoskeletal system, respiratory diseases and diseases of the nervous system prevailed both in the structure of general morbidity and in occupational one typical for miners. To create proper working conditions and to minimize effects of harmful and hazardous occupational factors as well as occupational health risks, it is advisable to perform comprehensive hygienic assessment of introduced equipment, machinery and mechanisms; to establish levels and doses of occupational factors. Engineering and technical, technological, medical and preventive and treatment and health-improving activities should be developed on this basis with special emphasis on such occupational groups as drift miners, drill-operators, blasters, timbermen, operators of cargo handling machinery, drilling unit operators, miners in mining outputs and faces, repairmen, and electric gas welders. It seems extremely vital to apply risk assessment methodology to assess occupational health risks for workers employed in mining operations in the Norilsk industrial region considering climatic features of the Arctic. This assessment is important for substantiating relevant activities aimed at managing such risks and protecting workers’ health.
- Dmitrak Yu.V., Tsidaev B.S., Dzaparov V.Kh., Kharebov G.Kh. Mineral'no-syr'evaya baza tsvetnoi metallurgii Rossii [Mineral resource base of non-ferrous metallurgy in Russia]. Vektor GeoNauk, 2019, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 9–18. DOI: 10.24411/2619-0761-2019-10002 (in Russian).
- Kuznetsov S.K., Burtsev I.N., Timonina N.N., Kuznetsov D.S. Mineral resources of the Russian North. Izvestiya Komi nauchnogo tsentra UrO RAN, 2022, vol. 54, no. 2, рр. 72–83. DOI: 10.19110/1994-5655-2022-2-72-83 (in Russian).
- Moscicka-Teske A., Sadtowska-Wrzesinska J., Najder A., Butlewski M. The relationship between psychosocial risk and occupational functioning among miners. Int. J. Occup. Med. Environ. Health, 2019, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 87–98. DOI: 10.13075/ijomeh.1896.01162
- Chebotarev A.G. Working environment and occupational morbidity of mine personnel, 2018, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 92–95. DOI: 10.30686/1609-9192-2018-1-137-92-95 (in Russian).
- Shaikhlislamova E.R., Karimova L.K., Volgareva A.D., Muldasheva N.A. Occupational health of workers in un-derground occupations producing polymetalliccopperzinc ores. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2020, no. 5, pp. 9–23. DOI: 10.33920/med-08-2005-01 (in Russian).
- Gorlenko N.V., Murzin M.A. Comparative analysis of occupational risks for mining employees in Irkutsk region. XXI vek. Tekhnosfernaya bezopasnost', 2018, vol. 3, no. 4 (12), pp. 23–31. DOI: 10.21285/1814-3520-2018-4-23-31 (in Russian).
- Gorbanev S.A., Syurin S.A. Occupational diseases in workers of copper and nickel industry in the Kola Arctic (1989–2018). ZNiSO, 2020, vol. 331, no. 10, pp. 22–27. DOI: 10.35627/2219-5238/2020-331-10-22-27 (in Russian).
- Skripal B.A. Health state and morbidity of underground mines in mining chemical enterprise in Arctic area of Russian Federation. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2016, no. 6, pp. 22–26 (in Russian).
- Siurin S.A., Shilov V.V. Features of health disorders in miners employed at northern copper-nickel mines. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 455–459. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2016-95-5-455-459 (in Russian).
- Kurenkova G.V., Lemeshevskaya E.P. Hygienic characteristics of working conditions in underground structures and their impact on the health of workers. Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal (Irkutsk), 2015, vol. 136, no. 5, pp. 98–105 (in Russian).
- Strashnikova T.N., Oleschenko A.M., Surzhikov D.V., Kislitsyna V.V. Assessment of working conditions for the workers of iron ore mining enterprise. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2018, no. 8, pp. 23–30 (in Russian).
- Shlyapnikov D.M., Shur P.Z., Alexeev V.B., Uhabov V.M., Novoselov V.G., Perevalov A.Ya. New potential of MTHFR gene variations application as an individual sensitivity marker in evaluation of occupational risk of arterial hypertension under exposure to nose. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2016, no. 8, рр. 6–10 (in Russian).
- Ilkayeva E.N., Volgaryoua A.D. Diagnosis, expert examination and prevention of occupational neurosensory deafness in workers of oil producing and petrochemical industries. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2008, no. 10, рр. 9–12 (in Russian).
- Oganov R.G. Importance of the epidemiologic studies and evidence-based medicine for clinical practice. Kardiovas-kulyarnaya terapiya i profilaktika, 2015, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 4–7. DOI: 10.15829/1728-8800-2015-4-4-7 (in Russian).
- Fedina I.N., Serebryakov P.V., Smolyakova I.V., Melent'ev A.V. Evaluation of arterial hypertension risk under exposure to noise and chemical occupational hazards. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 2, рр. 21–25 (in Russian).
- Suchkov I.A. Correction of endothelial dysfunction: current state of the problem (literature review). Rossiiskii mediko-biologicheskii vestnik im. akademika I.P. Pavlova, 2012, vol. 20, no. 4, рр. 151–157 (in Russian).
- Park S., Lakatta E.G. Role of Inflammation in the pathogenesis of arterial stiffness. Yonsei Med. J., 2012, vol. 53, no. 2, рр. 258–261. DOI: 10.3349/ymj.2012.53.2.258
- Steppan J., Barodka V., Berkowitz D.E., Nyhan D. Vascular stiffness and increased pulse pressure in the aging cardi-ovascular system. Cardiol. Res. Pract., 2011, vol. 2011, рр. 263585. DOI: 10.4061/2011/263585
- Pourabdiyan S., Ghotbi M., Yousefi H.A., Habibi E., Zare M. The epidemiologic study on hearing standard threshold shift using audiometric data and noise level among workers of Isfahan metal industry. Koomesh, 2009, vol. 10, no. 4, рр. 253–260.
- Jarup L., Dudley M.-L., Babisch W., Houthuijs D., Swart W., Pershagen G., Bluhm G., Katsouyanni K. [et al.]. Hy-pertension and Exposure to Noise near Airports (HYENA): Study design and noise exposure assessment. Environ. Health Per-spect., 2005, vol. 113, no. 11, рр. 1473–1478. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.8037
- Shliapnikov D.M., Shur P.Z., Vlasova E.M., Alexeyev V.B., Lebedeva T.M. Occupational risk of cardiovascular diseases in workers engaged into underground mining. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2015, no. 8, рр. 6–9 (in Russian).
- Shaikhlislamova E.R., Volgareva A.D., Karimova L.K., Valeeva E.T., Obukhova M.P. The role of work-related noise in the development of occupational and somatic pathology in miners. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2017, no. 7, рр. 21–27 (in Russian).
- Strzemecka J., Gozdziewska M., Skrodziuk J., Galinska M., Lachowski S. Factors of work environment hazardous for health in opinions of employees working underground in the ‘Bogdanka’ coal mine. Ann. Agric. Environ. Med., 2019, vol. 26, no. 3, рр. 409–414. DOI: 10.26444/aaem/106224
- Gorbanyov S.A., Syurin S.A. Formation of health conditions in underground miners in the polar regions of the Kola Peninsula. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2017, vol. 65, no. 4, рр. 12–19 (in Russian).
- Dedunov S.V. Osobennosti sochetannogo deistviya shuma i vibratsii na formirovanie professional'noi sensonevral'noi tugoukhosti [Features of the combined effect by noise and vibration on the development of occupational sensorineural hearing loss]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda: sbornik materialov mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. In: N.P. Zhukova ed. Minsk, 2019, рр. 179–180 (in Russian).
- Sukhova A.V., Kryuchkova E.N. Assessment of the status of bone tissue in the working vibration threatening occupa-tions. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 6, рр. 542–546. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2018-97-6-542-546 (in Russian).
- Syurin S.A., Gorbanev S.A. Production vibration and vibration-related pathology at enterprises in the Arctic. Rossi-iskaya Arktika, 2019, no. 6, рр. 28–36. DOI: 10.24411/2658-4255-2019-10064 (in Russian).
- Chebotarev A.G., Matyukhin V.V. Tyazhest' i napryazhennost' truda rabotnikov pri dobyche poleznykh iskopaemykh, mery profilaktiki [The severity and intense of work in mining operations, preventive measures]. Gornaya promyshlennost', 2013, vol. 110, no. 4, рр. 66–72 (in Russian).
- Syurin S.A., Shilov V.V. Occupational morbidity of miners in Kola polar region: factors of its growth and decline. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2016, vol. 60, no. 3, рр. 4–11 (in Russian).
- Syurin S.A., Gushchin I.V., Nikanov A.N. Occupational pathology of workers employed in different productions of copper-nickel industry in Far North. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2012, no. 6, рр. 8–12 (in Russian).
- Kasikov A.G. Particulate emissions from copper-nickel production and the consequences of their impact on human body in the Far North. Vestnik Kol'skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, 2017, vol. 9, no. 4, рр. 58–63 (in Russian).
- Casarett and Doulls Toxicology: The basic science of poisons. In: C.D. Klaassen ed. NY, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2001, рр. 649–650, 837–839.
- Grimsrud T.K., Berge S.R., Haldorsen T., Andersen A. Exposure to different forms of nickel and risk of lung cancer. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2002, vol. 156, no. 12, рр. 1123–1132. DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwf165
- Askarova Z.F., Askarov R.A. Morbidity parameters in mining industry workers of southern Urals. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2009, no. 10, рр. 22–27 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Chebotarev A.G. Gigienicheskie problemy uluchsheniya uslovii truda na gornodobyvayushchikh predpriyatiyakh [Hygienic problems of improving working conditions at mining enterprises]. Gornaya promyshlennost', 2018, vol. 141, no. 5, рр. 33–35. DOI: 10.30686/1609-9192-2018-5-141-33-35 (in Russian).
- Laney A.S., Petsonk E.L., Hale J.M., Wolfe A.L., Attfield M.D. Potential determinants of coal workers pneumoconio-sis, advanced pneumoconiosis, and progressive massive fibrosis among underground coal miners in the United States, 2005–2009. Am. J. Public Health, 2012, vol. 102, suppl. 2, pp. S279–S283. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300427
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Pneumoconiosis and advanced occupational lung disease among surface coal miners – 16 states, 2010–2011. MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly Rep., 2012, vol. 61, no. 23, рр. 431–434.
- Song Z.-F., Qian H.-Y., Wang S.-S., Jia X.-M., Ye Y., Ni C.-H. [Analysis on the incidence of coal workers pneumo-coniosis from 2003 to 2008 in a coal mining group]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi, 2011, vol. 29, no. 1, рр. 56–58. (in Chinese).
- Oleshchenko A.M., Strashnikova T.N., Surzhikov D.V., Kislitsyna V.V. Assessment of occupational risk to health of mining workers from exposure of ore and rock dust and toxic substances. Bulletin of medical science, 2019, vol. 14, no. 2, рр. 12–16. DOI: 10.31684/2542-1336.2019.2(14).12-16
- Elifanov A.V., Kovyazina O.L., Lepunova O.N., Shalabodov A.D. The impact of working conditions on indicators of cardiorespiratory system and blood in electric welders with different lengh of work. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2018, vol. 25, no. 3, рр. 27–32. DOI: 10.33396/1728-0869-2018-3-27-32 (in Russian).
- Borskiver I.A. Ognennaya duga. Vozdeistvie svarochnogo aerozolya na organizm elektrosvarshchika (ruchnaya dugovaya svarka). Rekomendatsii po izmereniyu [Fire arc. The effect of welding aerosol on the body of an electric welder (manual arc welding). Measurement recommendations]. Bezopasnost' i okhrana truda, 2011, vol. 47, no. 2, рр. 66–69 (in Russian).
- Krasovskiy V.O., Khalfin R.R., Galiullin A.R. To search of real concentration of the aerosol of the acting electric welder. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2017, no. 5, рр. 21–30 (in Russian).
- Obukhova M.P. Problems of ophthalmopathology in occupational health. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 4, рр. 175–181 (in Russian).
- Krasilnikova I.V. The effects of electromagnetic radiation to the organ of vision in the process of professional activity. Vestnik soveta molodykh uchenykh i spetsialistov Chelyabinskoi oblasti, 2016, vol. 4, no. 3 (14), рр. 46–47 (in Russian).
- Rudchenko I.I. Opasnosti i vrednosti, voznikayushchie pri vypolnenii svarochnykh rabot v stroitel'stve [Dangers and hazards that arise due to use of welding in construction]. Chrezvychainye situatsii: promyshlennaya i ekologicheskaya bezopas-nost', 2019, vol. 39, no. 3, рр. 38–47 (in Russian).