Parameterization of relationships between risk factors and public health under chronic exposure to complex ambient air pollution
D.A. Kiryanov1, M.R. Kamaltdinov1, M.Yu. Tsinker1, S.V. Babina1, S.V. Kleyn1,2, A.M. Andrishunas1
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Perm State Medical University named after Academician E.A. Wagner, 26 Petropavlovskaya Str., Perm, 614000, Russian Federation
The relevance of the present study follows from the necessity to establish parameterized cause-effect relationships that describe additional disease cases among population caused by chronic exposure to chemical factors.
In this study, our aim was to explore relationships within the ‘environment – public health’ system to quantify and predict chronic risks under exposure to chemicals in ambient air.
To achieve this, we collected statistical data on some municipalities located in the Russian Federation with different structures and levels of chemical pollution in ambient air. Data on population incidence and ambient air quality were coordinated at places where calculation points were located; these points were centers of residential buildings and their coordinates were applied in the study. Mathematical modeling of the relationships was conducted by using multiple linear regressions. Pollution indicators (chemical concentrations in ambient air) that met the requirements of biological plausibility and statistical significance of pair correlations were selected as independent variables. The obtained regression models contain 190 factors for 36 chemicals occurring in emission into ambient air from stationary and mobile sources, which allow calculating the frequency of additional disease cases for 29 diseases. The established factors make it possible to perform operative estimations of a number of diseases associated with ambient air quality at a place of residence relying on medical aid applications.
The resulting relationships can be used to predict chronic health risks. Establishing criteria for ranking chemical health risks in zones influenced by hazardous chemical objects can become a next step in development of the suggested approaches.
- Zaytseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., May I.V., Shur P.Z. Methods and technologies of health risk analysis in the system of state management under assurance of the sanitation and epidemiological welfare of population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 93–98 (in Russian).
- Gurvich V.B., Kuzmin S.V., Dikonskaya O.V., Gileva M.A., Boyarsky A.P. Methodical approaches, experience and perspectives of the implementation of the risk model of surveillance activities in the sphere of the assurance of sanitary and epi-demiological welfare of population, population’s health risk management and the consumer rights protection. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 104–108 (in Russian).
- Zaytseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., Onishchenko G.N., May I.V. Current problems of regulatory and scientific-medical support for the assurance of the sanitary and epidemiological welfare of population in the Russian Federation as the strategic government task. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 5–9. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2016-95-1-5-9 (in Russian).
- Onishhenko G.G., Kozovenko M.N. Ensuring the chemical and biological safety of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2025 and beyond COVID-19. Infektsionnye bolezni: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie, 2020, vol. 9, no. 3 (34), pp. 10–15. DOI: 10.33029/2305-3496-2020-9-3-10-15 (in Russian).
- Anan'ev V.Yu., Zhigaev D.S., Kislitsyna L.V., Kiku P.F. Otsenka vliyaniya atmosfernogo vozdukha na zdorov'e nase-leniya Vladivostoka i ee osobennosti [Assessment of the impact of ambient air on the health of the population of Vladivostok and its features]. Zdorov'e. Meditsinskaya ekologiya. Nauka, 2012, vol. 49–50, no. 3–4, pp. 79–82 (in Russian).
- Berezhnaya E.V. Assessment of risk to human health in Voronezh exposure to chemical pollutants in the air. Mod-elirovanie, optimizatsiya i informatsionnye tekhnologii, 2013, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2 (in Russian).
- Masnavieva L.B., Efimova N.V., Kudaeva I.V. Individual risks to adolescent health, caused by contaminating the air, and their relationship with the levels of specific autoantibodies. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 738–742. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2016-95-8-738-742 (in Russian).
- Sheveleva T.E. Assessment and minimization of non-carcinogenic risk for health workers of rubber goods on chemicals exposure polluting of working spaces. Vestnik novykh meditsinskikh tekhnologii (Elektronnyi zhurnal), 2016, no. 4, pp. 241–247. DOI: 10.12737/22054 (in Russian).
- Grigoriev Yu.I., Lyapina N.V. The impact of air quality on the health of the child population. Vestnik novykh meditsinskikh tekhnologii, 2012, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 112–113 (in Russian).
- Krupskaya L.T., Rastanina N.K. Otsenka riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya, svyazannogo s zagryazneniem atmosfernogo vozdukha v raione khvostokhranilishcha TsOF Solnechnogo GOKa [Assessment of the population health risk associated with ambient air pollution in the area of the COF Solnechnii GOK tailing damn]. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten', 2007, no. S15, pp. 318–323 (in Russian).
- Konshina L.G., Lezhnin V.L. Assessment of the quality of drinking water in the industrial city and risk for public health. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 5–10 (in Russian).
- Kiku P.F., Kislitsyna L.V., Bogdanova V.D., Sabirova K.M. Hygienic evaluation of the quality of drinking water and risks for the health of the population of the Primorye territory. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 94–101. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2019-98-1-94-101 (in Russian).
- Tsareva S.A., Krasnova V.P., Gryaznova M.V. Role of estimation of exposure of chemical contaminants polluting foodstuffs in environmental safety research. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2013, no. 6, pp. 26–32 (in Russian).
- Bhandari G., Zomer P., Atreya K., Mol H.G.J., Yang X., Geissen V. Pesticide residues in Nepalese vegetables and po-tential health risks. Environ. Res., 2019, vol. 172, pp. 511–521. DOI: 10.1016/j.envres.2019.03.002
- De Lima N.V., Granja Arakaki D., de Padua Melo E.S., Machate D.J., do Nascimento V.A. Assessment of Trace Ele-ments Supply in Canned Tuna Fish Commercialized for Human Consumption in Brazil. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 2021, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 12002. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph182212002
- Kukkoev S.P., Nikishina T.F., Nikolaevich P.N. The effect of air pollution in the city of Krasnodar on health. ZniSO, 2017, vol. 292, no. 7, pp. 22–25 (in Russian).
- Golikov R.A., Kislitsyna V.V., Surzhikov D.V., Oleshchenko A.M., Mukasheva M.A. Assessment of the impact of air pollution by heat power plant emissions on the health of the population of Novokuznetsk. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2019, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 348–352. DOI: 10.31089/1026-9428-2019-59-6-348-352 (in Russian).
- Plotnikova I.A., Kovtun O.P., Anokhina L.A. Clinical and hematologic abnormalities in children health, caused by ex-posure to lead. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2010, no. 2, pp. 29–35 (in Russian).
- Kopytenkova O.I., Levanchuk A.V., Tursunov Z.Sh. Assessment of health damage due to exposure to mineral wool fine dusts. Kazanskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2014, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 570–574 (in Russian).
- Petrov S.B. Ekologo-gigienicheskaya otsenka zabolevaemosti naseleniya raiona razmeshcheniya medeplavil'nogo pro-izvodstva [Ecological and hygienic assessment of the morbidity of the population of the area where the copper smelting production is located]. Vyatskii meditsinskii vestnik, 2006, no. 3–4, pp. 56–60 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Trusov P.V., Shur P.Z., Kiryanov D.A., Chigvintsev V.M., Tsinker M.Yu. Methodical approaches to health risk assessment of heterogeneous environmental factors based on evolutionary models. Health Risk Analysis, 2013, no. 1, pp. 15–23. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2013.1.02.eng
- Kiku P.F., Veremchuk L.V., Tatarkina N.D. Structural model of habitat factors influence on the prevalence of respiratory diseases in Primorsky krai. Byulleten' fiziologii i patologii dykhaniya, 2012, no. 43, pp. 107–111 (in Russian).
- Gorbanev S.A., Sarkisyan F.S., Devyatkina A.A., Redchenko A.V., Radilov A.S., Kombarova M.Y. Ecological and hygienic analysis of the impact of pollutant chemicals of industrial enterprises in Tikhvin on health. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2012, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 68–71 (in Russian).
- Sazonova O.V., Isakova O.N., Sukhacheva I.F., Komarova M.V. Habitat and incidence of respiratory organs diseases in the Samara population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Golikov R.A., Surzhikov D.V., Kislitsyna V.V., Shtaiger V.A. Influence of environmental pollution to the health of the population (review of literature). Nauchnoe obozrenie. Meditsinskie nauki, 2017, no. 5, pp. 20–31 (in Russian).