Risk of allergy and its immune phenotypes in children with MMP9 Q279R gene polymorphism
K.G. Starkova1, O.V. Dolgikh1, T.A. Legostaeva1, V.M. Ukhabov2
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Perm State Medical University named after Academician E.A. Wagner, 26 Petropavlovskaya Str., Perm, 614000, Russian Federation
Scientific research with its focus on allergic diseases relies on up-to-date molecular-genetic methods for identifying individual genetic variability; it seems an important stage in the implementation of programs with their aim to early detect and mitigate risks of such diseases.
In this study, our aim was to identify features of immune regulation associated with Q279R MMP9 gene polymorphism (rs17576) and benzene contamination in biological media in children with allergic diseases.
The test group included 33 children with allergic diseases; the reference group consisted of 40 relatively healthy children. CD-markers were identified with flow cytometry. Genotyping was performed with a real-time polymerase chain reaction.
The research revealed elevated levels of total IgE, IL-4 and TNFalfa under elevated benzene contamination in biological media that were by 1.2–4.2 times higher in the examined children with allergic diseases than in the reference group
(р = 0.006–0.03). Q279R MMP9 gene polymorphismin in children from the test group had authentically more frequent oc-currence of the GG and AG genotypes, by 1.7 times higher than in the reference group. This allows considering the allele G of the MMP9 gene as a sensitivity marker in children with allergic diseases (OR = 2.34; 95 % CI = 1.17–4.65). We established a growth by 2.8 times in total IgE level and greater IL-4 and TNFalfa expression, by 1.4 and 1.3 times accordingly, in carriers of the allele G against those carrying the homozygote AA genotype among the examined children with allergic diseases (р = 0.020–0.042). Logistic regression analysis established the adequacy of the dominant model (p = 0.01) and revealed a possible association between carriage of the AG and GG genotypes of Q279R MMP9 gene polymorphism and developing allergy (OR = 3.61; 95 % CI = 1.34–9.71).
A risk of developing allergy combined with benzene contamination in biological media and gene polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinase MMP9 (rs17576) is by 2.1 times higher for the allele G carriers against the AA genotype carriers (RR = 2.08; 95 % CI = 1.13–3.83). This allows considering the allele G of the MMP9 Q279R gene as a sensitivity marker in children with allergic diseases.
- Li J., Zhang Y., Zhang L. Discovering susceptibility genes for allergic rhinitis and allergy using a genome-wide associa-tion study strategy. Curr. Opin. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 2015, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 33–40. DOI: 10.1097/ACI.0000000000000124
- Long A., Bunning B., Sampath V., DeKruyff R.H., Nadeau K.C. Epigenetics and the environment in airway disease: asthma and allergic rhinitis. AEMB series. Epigenetics in Allergy and Autoimmunity, 2020, vol. 1253, pp. 153–181. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-15-3449-2_6
- Zaitseva N.V., Zemlianova M.A., Dolgikh О.V. Genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic technologies as a modern tool for diagnostics of health disorders associated with the impact of environmental factors. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2020, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 6–12. DOI: 10.33029/0016-9900-2020-99-1-6-12 (in Russian).
- Hao Y., Wang B., Zhao J., Wang P., Zhao Y., Wang X., Zhao Y., Zhang L. Identification of gene biomarkers with expression profiles in patients with allergic rhinitis. Allergy Asthma Clinical Immunology, 2022, vol. 18, pp. 20. DOI: 10.1186/s13223-022-00656-4
- Shadrina A.S., Tereshkina I.V., Plieva Ya.Z., Kushlinsky D.N., Utkin D.O., Morozov A.A., Filipenko M.L., Kush-linsky N.E. Matrix metalloproteinases: structure, functions and genetic polymorphism. Patogenez, 2017, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 14–23 (in Russian).
- Cui N., Hu M., Khalil R.A. Chapter One – Biochemical and biological attributes of matrix metalloproteinases. Prog. Mol. Biol. Transl. Sci., 2017, vol. 147, pp. 1–73. DOI: 10.1016/bs.pmbts.2017.02.005
- Minyaylo O., Starikova D., Moskalenko M., Ponomarenko I., Reshetnikov E., Dvornyk V., Churnosov M. Dataset of allele and genotype frequencies of the three functionally significant polymorphisms of the MMP genes in Russian patients with primary open-angle glaucoma, essential hypertension and peptic ulcer. Data in brief, 2020, vol. 31, pp. 106004. DOI: 10.1016/j.dib.2020.106004
- Shadrina A.S., Plieva Y.Z., Kushlinskiy D.N., Morozov A.A., Filipenko M.L., Chang V.L., Kushlinskii N.E. Classifi-cation, regulation of activity, and genetic polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinases in health and disease. Al'manakh klinicheskoi meditsiny, 2017, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 266–279. DOI: 10.18786/2072-0505-2017-45-4-266-279 (in Russian).
- Mikhylova I.V., Smolyagin A.I., Krasikov S.I., Karaulov A.V. Impact of benzene on the immune system and some of the mechanisms of its action. Immunologiya, 2014, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 51–55 (in Russian).
- Wang J., Guo X., Chen Y., Zhang W., Ren J., Gao A. Association between benzene exposure, serum levels of cytokines and hematological measures in Chinese workers: A cross-sectional study. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 2021, vol. 207, pp. 111562. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2020.111562
- Choo C.Y.W., Yeh K.-W., Huang J.-L., Su K.-W., Tsai M.-H., Hua M.-C., Liao S.-L., Lai S.-H. [et al.]. Oxidative stress is associated with atopic indices in relation to childhood rhinitis and asthma. J. Microbiol. Immunol. Infect., 2021, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 466–473. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmii.2020.01.009
- Simbirtsev A.S. Cytokines and their role in immune pathogenesis of allergy. Russian Medical Inquiry, 2021, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 32–37. DOI: 10.32364/2587-6821-2021-5-1-32-37
- Fingleton B. Matrix metalloproteinases as regulators of inflammatory processes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta Mol. Cell. Res., 2017, vol. 1864, no. 11, pt A, pp. 2036–2042. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2017.05.010
- Markelova E.V., Zdor V.V., Romanchuk A.L., Birko O.N. Matrix metalloproteinases: on their relationship with cy-tokine system, diagnostic and prognostic potential. Immunopatologiya, allergologiya, infektologiya, 2016, no. 2, pp. 11–22. DOI: 10.14427/jipai.2016.2.11 (in Russian).
- Bajbouj K., Ramakrishnan R.K., Hamid Q. Role of matrix metalloproteinases in angiogenesis and its implications in asthma. J. Immunol. Res., 2021, vol. 2021, pp. 6645072. DOI: 10.1155/2021/6645072
- Karakoc G.B., Yukselen A., Yilmaz M., Altintas D.U., Kendirli S.G. Exhaled breath condensate MMP-9 level and its relationship wıth asthma severity and interleukin-4/10 levels in children. Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol., 2012, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 300–304. DOI: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.02.019
- Ingram J., Kraft M. Metalloproteinases as modulators of allergic asthma: therapeutic perspectives. Metalloproteinases In Medicine, 2015, vol. 2, pp. 61–74. DOI: 10.2147/MNM.S63614
- Mori S., Pawankar R., Ozu C., Nonaka M., Yagi T., Okubo K. Expression and roles of MMP-2, MMP-9, MMP-13, TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 in allergic nasal mucosa. Allergy Asthma Immunol. Res., 2012, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 231–239. DOI: 10.4168/aair.2012.4.4.231
- Zhou Z., Meng L., Cai Y., Yan W., Bai Y., Chen J. Exploration of the potential mechanism of the common dif-ferentially expressed genes in psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. BioMed. Res. Int., 2022, vol. 2022, pp. 1177299. DOI: 10.1155/2022/1177299
- Grzela K., Litwiniuk M., Zagorska W., Grzela T. Airway remodeling in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma: the role of matrix metalloproteinase-9. Arch. Immunol. Ther. Exp. (Warsz.), 2016, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 47–55. DOI: 10.1007/s00005-015-0345-y
- Zou F., Zhang J., Xiang G., Jiao H., Gao H. Association of matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) polymorphisms with asthma risk: a meta-analysis. Can. Respir. J., 2019, vol. 2019, pp. 9260495. DOI: 10.1155/2019/9260495
- Bchir S., Nasr H.B., Hakim I.R., Anes A.B., Yacoub S., Garrouch A., Benzarti M., Bauvois B. [et al.]. Matrix metal-loproteinase-9 (279R/Q) polymorphism is associated with clinical severity and airflow limitation in Tunisian patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Mol. Diagn. Ther., 2015, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 375–387. DOI: 10.1007/s40291-015-0163-2
- Grzela K., Zagórska W., Krejner A., Litwiniuk M., Zawadzka-Krajewska A., Kulus M., Grzela T. Polymorphic vari-ants 279R and 668Q augment activity of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in breath condensates of children with asthma. Arch. Immunol. Ther. Exp. (Warsz.), 2016, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 183–187. DOI: 10.1007/s00005-016-0412-z
- Guryanova S.V. Integrated approaches in diagnostics and therapy of allergic diseases. Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Seriya: Meditsina, 2018, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 75–85. DOI: 10.22363/2313-0245-2018-22-1-75-85 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Zemlyanova M.A., Chashchin V.P., Gudkov A.B. Scientifiic principles of use of biomarkers in medi-co-ecological studies (review). Ekologiya cheloveka, 2019, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 4–14. DOI: 10.33396/1728-0869-2019-9-4-14 (in Russian).
- Dolgikh O.V., Zaitseva N.V., Nikonoshina N.A. Conditions of aerogenic exposition to benzol and genetic status as factors of formation of immune profile features in men with vegetative regulation impairments. 20th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference – SGEM 2020. Conference Proceedings, 2020, pp. 73–80.