Assessing index of accumulated cytogenetic disorders in workers employed in metallurgy under exposure to adverse occupaitonal factors
N.V. Vlasova1, L.M. Masyagutova1,2, E.R. Abdrakhmanova1,2, L.A. Rafikova1, G.M. Chudnovets1
1Ufa Research Institute of Occupational Health and Human Ecology, 94 Stepana Kuvykina Str., Ufa, 450106, Russian Federation
2Bashkir State Medical University, 3 Lenina Str., Ufa, 450008, Russian Federation
Metallurgy is a major economic branch in Russia with more than 4000 enterprises operating in it and seventy percent of them being city-forming ones. This study focuses on cytological assessment of the oral mucosa and secretion from the middle meatus mucosa in workers employed in metallurgy.
The aim of this study was to investigate cytological laboratory indicators in workers employed in metallurgy under exposure to adverse occupational factors.
A clinical and diagnostic examination of workers employed at a metallurgical plant in Bashkortostan was performed in 2019–2020; it involved cytological studies of the oral mucosa (buccal epithelium) and the middle meatus mucosa (rhinocytogram). In this study, we applied the Index of cytogenetic disorders accumulation (Iac) that allows for cellular kinetics indicators.
The overall hygienic assessment of working conditions for workers employed at the analyzed metallurgic plant corresponds to the hazard category 3.2–3.3 in accordance with the criteria outlined in the Guide R (harmful, class 2 or 3). The research results revealed cytogenetic disorders of buccal epithelial cells in the workers who had contacts with adverse occupational factors. Low likelihood of cytogenetic disorders was established for 66.67 % of the workers; moderate, 9.2 %; high, 23.81 %. We assessed rhinocytograms of the workers exposed to adverse occupational factors and revealed some signs of allergic inflammation characterized with high eosinophil count.
The research results confirm high significance of diagnostic procedures for developing an algorithm for screening examinations of working population as well as indicators of health disorders under exposure to adverse occupational factors (noise, heating microclimate, industrial dust, gaseous chemicals).
- Egorova A.M., Zheglova A.V., Saarkoppel’ L.M. Analiz professional'nogo riska dlya zdorov'ya rabochikh metallur-gicheskogo proizvodstva [Analysis of occupational health risks for workers in metallurgical production]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu 2020 sovmestno s mezhdunarodnoi vstrechei po okruzhayushchei srede i zdorov'yu Rise-2020 i kruglym stolom po bezopasnosti pitaniya: materialy X Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem: v 2 t. In: A.Yu. Popova, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Perm, Perm National Research Polytechnic University Publ., 2020, vol. 2, pp. 142–147 (in Russian).
- VNII truda. Metallurgiya. Analiticheskaya spravka [Metallurgy. Analytical reference], 2019, 92 p. (in Russian).
- Kagiyan O.A. Vliyanie gradoobrazuyushchego predpriyatiya na ekonomiku i ekologiyu goroda Lipetska [The influence of the city-forming enterprise on the economy and ecology of the city of Lipetsk]. Aktual'nye problemy sovremennoi ekonomiki: ot finansovykh i sotsial'nykh institutov k marketing. St. Petersburg, April 13, 2018, pp. 194–200 (in Russian).
- Dyagtereva I.V., Sazykina M.Yu., Beschastnova N.V. Strategicheskie zadachi razvitiya metallurgicheskoi otrasli v Respublike Bashkortostan v kontekste rossiiskikh i mirovykh tendentsii [Strategic objectives for the development of the metal-lurgical industry in the Republic of Bashkortostan in the context of Russian and global trends]. Teoreticheskaya i prikladnaya ekonomika, 2016, no. 4, pp. 103–120 (in Russian).
- Tchebotaryov A.G., Prokhorov V.A. Contemporary work conditions and occupational morbidity in metallurgists. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2012, no. 6, pp. 1–7 (in Russian).
- Vlasova E.M., Shlyiapnikov D.M., Lebedeva T.M. Analysis of changes in characteristics of arterial hypertension occupational risk in workers of nonferrous metallurgy. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2015, no. 8, pp. 10–13 (in Russian).
- Masyagutova L.M., Abdrakhmanova E.R., Bakirov A.B., Gimranova G.G., Akhmetshina V.T., Gizatullina L.G., Gabdulvaleeva E.F., Volgareva A.D., Hafizova A.S. The role of working conditions in the formation of occupational morbidity of workers in metallurgical production. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2022, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 47–52. DOI: 10.47470/0016-9900-2022-101-1-47-52 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Shur P.Z., Klimenko A.R., Ustinova O.Yu., Lebedeva-Nesevria H.A., Kostarev V.G. Hygienic evalua-tion of risk factors on powder metallurgy production. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2011, no. 11, pp. 16–19 (in Russian).
- Bazarova E.L., Fedoruk A.A., Roslaya N.A., Osherov I.S., Babenko A.G. Assessment experience of occupational risk associated with exposure to industrial aerosols under the conditions of metallurgical enterprise modernization. ZNiSO, 2019, vol. 310, no. 1, pp. 38–45. DOI: 10.35627/2219-5238/2019-310-1-38-45 (in Russian).
- Ryazantsev S.V., Khmel'nitskaya N.M., Tyrnova E.V. Patofiziologicheskie mekhanizmy khronicheskikh vospalitel'nykh zabolevanii slizistoi obolochki verkhnikh dykhatel'nykh putei [Pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic inflammatory diseases of the mucous membrane of the upper respiratory tract]. Vestnik otolaringologii, 2001, no. 6, pp. 56–59 (in Russian).
- Potapov A.I. Hygiene: reality and perspectives. Zdravookhranenie Rossiiskoi Federatsii, 2003, no. 3, pp. 3–4 (in Rus-sian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Revazova Yu.A. Prenosological diagnosis in the environment-human health area. Gigiena i sani-tariya, 2004, no. 6, pp. 3–5 (in Russian).
- Appel’gans T.V., Chinyaeva N.S., Makhov V.A., Kuz’mina L.V. Znachimost' morfologicheskogo issledovaniya v di-agnostike rinosinusitov [The significance of morphological research in the diagnosis of rhinosinusitis]. Vrach-aspirant, 2006, no. 3, pp. 208–213 (in Russian).
- Barkhina T.G., Gusniev S.A., Gushchin M.Yu., Utesheva V.A., Chernikov V.P. Clinical and morphological characteristics of various forms of rhinitis. Morfologicheskie vedomosti, 2017, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 14–20. DOI: 10.20340/mv-mn.17(25).02.02 (in Russian).
- Zhuravskaya N.S., Vitkina T.I., Krukovskaya E.A., Nastavsheva T.A. Metod mazkov-otpechatkov so slizistoi nosa v diagnostike zabolevanii organov dykhaniya [The method of smear-imprints from the nasal mucosa in the diagnosis of respiratory diseases]. Klinicheskaya laboratornaya diagnostika, 2002, no. 2, pp. 40–42 (in Russian).
- Zimina V.A., Ptitsyna A.I., Sokolov I.I. Rinotsitogramma – diagnosticheskoe znachenie laboratornogo issledovaniya [Rhinocytogram – diagnostic value of laboratory research]. Fundamental'nye problemy nauki: sbornik statei Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii: v 2-kh chastyakh. Ufa, Aeterna LLC, 2016, pt 2, pp. 158–160 (in Russian).
- Hopf N.B., Bolognesi C., Danuser B., Wild P. Biological monitoring of workers exposed to carcinogens using the buccal micronucleus approach: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Mutat Res. Rev. Mutat. Res., 2019, vol. 781, pp. 11–29. DOI: 10.1016/j.mrrev.2019.02.006
- Fenech M., Holland N., Zeiger E., Chang W.P., Burgaz S., Thomas P., Bolognesi C., Knasmueller S. [et al.]. The HUMN and HUMNxL international collaboration projects on human micronucleus assays in lymphocytes and buccal cells – past, present and future. Mutagenesis, 2011, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 239–245. DOI: 10.1093/mutage/geq051
- Dhillon V.S., Aslam M., Husain S.A. The contribution of genetic and epigenetic changes in granulosa cell tumors of ovarian origin. Clin. Cancer Res., 2004, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 5537–5545. DOI: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0228
- Krishna L., Sampson U., Annamala P.T., Unni K.M., Binukumar B., George A., Sreedharan R. Genomic Instability in Exfoliated Buccal Cells among Cement Warehouse Workers. Int. J. Occup. Environ. Med., 2020, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 33–40. DOI: 10.15171/ijoem.2020.1744
- Sycheva L.P. Biological value, scoring criteria and limits of a variation of a full spectrum karyological indexes of exfoli-ated cells for estimation of human cytogenetic status. Meditsinskaya genetika, 2007, vol. 6, no. 11 (65), pp. 3–11 (in Russian).
- Tolbert P.E., Shy C.M., Allen J.W. Micronuclei and other nuclear anomalies in buccal smears: methods development. Mutat. Res., 1992, vol. 271, no. 1, pp. 69–77. DOI: 10.1016/0165-1161(92)90033-i
- Gelardi M., Tapaculo M., Cassano M., Besozzi G., Fiorella M.L., Calvario A., Castellano M.A., Cassano P. Epstein-Barr virus induced cellular changes in nasal mucosa. Virol. J., 2006, vol. 3, pp. 6. DOI: 10.1186/1743-422X-3-6
- Sycheva L.P. Cytogenetic monitoring for assessment of safety of environmental health. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 68–72 (in Russian).
- Deryugina A.V., Ivashchenko M.N., Ignatiev P.S., Samodelkin A.G., Belov A.A., Gushchin V.A. The evaluation of genotoxic effects in buccal epithelium under disorders of adaption status of organism. Klinicheskaya laboratornaya diagnostika, 2018, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 290–292. DOI: 10.18821/0869-2084-2018-63-5-290-292 (in Russian).