Imbalance in lymphocyte composition and cytokine profile as a risk factor of vibration disease
E.V. Boklazhenko, G.M. Bodienkova
East-Siberian Institute of Medical and Ecological Research, 3 12А mikroraion, Angarsk, 665827, Russian Federation
To provide consistent functioning of the immune and nervous systems, both in normal conditions and in case of any pathology, is among the most significant functions performed by the cytokine system. It seems important to examine mechanisms underlying the well-coordinated working of the immune system since such studies can give grounds for developing certain criteria applied to assess risks of developing vibration disease (VD) and making prognosis for it. Our research goal was to identify peculiarities related to the balance in the phenotypic composition of lymphocytes and cytokines as risk factors of developing vibration disease.
We estimated the phenotypic structure of lymphocytes by indirect immunofluorescence using monoclonal antibodies to CD3+, CD4+, CD8+, CD16+, CD20+, CD25+, and CD95+ molecules. IL-2, IL-4, IL-8, and INF-γ cytokines were determined in blood serum with the solid-phase ELISA method.
We analyzed cytokine contents in patients with VD and established a statistically significant growth in levels of IL-8 and INF-γ and a decrease in IL-2 contents against the reference group. We also found certain differences in the correlations between lymphocytes and cytokines in patients with VD and healthy people. Thus, in patients with VD, there was a positive correlation between the absolute number of CD3+-lymphocytes and the level of the immune-stimulating IL-2 and a positive correlation between the quantity of CD4+-lymphocytes and IL-4 concentration. At the same time, having examined healthy people from the reference group, we detected a negative correlation between IFNγ and the absolute quantity of CD3+ and CD95+-lymphocytes. Therefore, the risk of developing and progressing vibration disease is to a certain extent associated with its pathogenetic peculiarities based, among other things, on complex functional relationships between lymphocytic phenotypes and pro-anti-inflammatory cytokines. In future this will allow substantiating new biomarkers in the additional VD diagnostics.
- Popova A.Yu. Working conditions and occupational morbidity in the Russian Federation. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 3, pp. 7–13 (in Russian).
- Onishchenko G.G. Actual problems of hygiene science and practice in the preservation of public health. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 5–9 (in Russian).
- Dolgikh O.V., Starkova K.G., Krivtsov A.V., Bubnova O.A. Variability of immunoregulatory and genetic markers in conditions of the combined effects of industrial environmental factors. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 45–48. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2016-95-1-45-48 (in Russian).
- Zheglova A.V., Fedina I.N. Modern approaches to carrying out preventive examinations of workers of vibration-dangerous occupations. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. 1048–1064. DOI: 10.1882/0016-9900-2016-95-11-1048-1051 (in Russian).
- Saarkoppel' L.M., Kir'yakov V.A., Oshkoderov O.A. Role of contemporary biomarkers in vibration disease diagnosis. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 2, pp. 6–10 (in Russian).
- Simbirtsev A.S. Tsitokiny v patogeneze i lechenii zabolevaniy cheloveka [Cytokines in the pathogenesis and treatment of human diseases]. St. Petersburg, Foliant, 2018, 512 p. (in Russian).
- Maslyanskiy A.L., Penin I.N., Cheshuina M.D., Trichina I.N., Novikova A.N., Kolesova E.P., Lazareva N.M., Mazing A.V. [et al.]. Common consistent patterns of the cytokine and chemokine production in patients with diffuse connective tissue diseases, inflammatory arthropathies and atherosclerosis]. Tsitokiny i vospalenie, 2014, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 9–21 (in Russian).
- Aksu I., Topcu A., Camsari U.M., Acikgoz O. Effect of acute and chronic exercise on oxidant-antioxidant equilibrium in rat hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatum. Neurosci. Lett., 2009, vol. 452, no. 3, pp. 281–285. DOI: 10.1016/j.neulet.2008.09.029
- Savchenko A.A., Zdzitovetsky D.E., Borisov A.G., Luzan N.A. Peculiarities of the cellular and humoral immunity status and the levels of concentrations of cytokines in patients with extensive purulent peritonitis. Sibirskoe meditsinskoe obozrenie, 2013, no. 1, pp. 24–28. DOI: 10.20333/25000136-2013-1-24-28 (in Russian).
- Petrov R.V., Khaitov R.M., Chereshnev V.A. Physiology of the immune system: cellular and molecular-biological mechanisms. Vestnik Rossiiskogo fonda fundamental'nyh issledovanii, 2017, no. S1, pp. 96–119. DOI: 10.22204/2410-4639-2017-094-02S-96-119 (in Russian).
- Kurchevenko S.I., Bodienkova G.M., Lakhman O.L. Comparative characteristics of the subpopulation composition of lymphocytes and heat shock protein in patients with vibration disease. Rossiiskii
immunologicheskii zhurnal, 2019, vol. 13, no. 2–2, pp. 846–848. DOI: 10.31857/S102872210006677-9 (in Russian).
- Zakharenkov V.V., Kazitskaya A.S., Mikhailova N.N., Romanenko D.V., Zhdanova N.N., Zhu¬kova A.G. Influence of occupational hazards on human immune state. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 12, pp. 19–23 (in Russian).
- Koval'chuk L.V., Gankovskaya L.V., Khoreva M.V., Sokolova E.V. Sistema tsitokinov, komplementa i sovremennye metody immunnogo analiza [The system of cytokines, complement and modern methods of immune analysis]. Moscow, RGMU Publ., 2001, 158 p. (in Russian).
- Chernii V.I., Nesterenko A.N. Narusheniya immuniteta pri kriticheskikh sostoyaniyakh: osobennosti diagnostiki [Immune disorders in critical states: diagnostic features]. Vnutrennyaya meditsina, 2007, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 11–14 (in Russian).
- Serebrennikova S.N., Seminsky I.Zh. The role of cytokines in the inflammatory process (Part 1). Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal (Irkutsk), 2008, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 5–8 (in Russian).
- Voronina M.S., Shilkina N.P., Vinogradov A.A., Butusova S.V. Interleukins 4, 6, 8 in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis and its complications. Tsitokiny i vospalenie, 2014, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 5–10 (in Russian).
- Ketlinskii S.A., Simbirtsev A.S. Tsitokiny [Cytokines]. St. Petersburg, Foliant, 2008, 552 p. (in Russian).
- Eivazi S., Bagheri S., Hashemzadeh M.S., Ghalavand M., Qamsari E.S., Dorostkar R., Yasemi M. Development of T follicular helper cells and their role in disease and immune system. Biomed. Pharmacother., 2016, vol. 84, pp. 1668–1678. DOI: 10.1016/j.biopha.2016.10.083
- Jiménez E., Sacedón R., Vicente A., Hernández-López C., Zapata A.G., Varas A. Rat peripheral CD4+CD8+ T-lym¬phocytes are partially immunocompetent thymus-derived cells that undergo post-thymic maturation to become functionally mature CD4+ T lymphocytes. J. Immunol., 2002, vol. 168, no. 10, pp. 5005–5013. DOI: 10.4049/jimmunol.168.10.500
- Singh R., Kumar A., Creery W.D., Ruben M., Giulivi A., Diaz-Mitoma F. Dysregulated expression of IFNγ and IL-10 and impaired IFNγ mediated responses at different disease stages in patients with genital herpes simplex virus-2 infection. Clin. Exp. Immunol., 2003, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 97–107. DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2249.2003.02183.x
- Drannik G.N. Klinicheskaya immunologiya i allergologiya [Clinical immunology and allegro¬logy]. Moscow, MIA, 2003, 604 p. (in Russian).
- Cousins W.S., Espinosa-Heidmann D.G., Miller D.M., Pereira-Simon S., Hernandez E.P., Chien H., Meier-Jewett C., Dix R.D. Macrophage activation associated with chronic murine cytomegalovirus infection results in more severe experimental choroidal neovascularisation. PLoS Pathog., 2012, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. e1002671. DOI: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1002671