On issues related to national risk-based system for control over food products distributed on the market
N.V. Zaitseva, I.V. May, D.А. Kiryanov, V.М. Chigvintsev, N.V. Nikiforova
Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
This research is vital given great significance of food safety for population and bearing in mind that food products are an independent object of sanitary-epidemiologic control as it is stipulated by the legislation.
We suggest approaches to creating a risk-based model for control over food products distributed on the market. These ap-proaches involve categorizing food products as per potential health risks for consumers; building up risk profiles of food products; optimizing laboratory support provided for control and surveillance activities taking into account food products safety management.
When categorizing food products, risk is assessed as a combination of probable violation of obligatory requirements to safety and severity of consequences these violations might have. Food products that are assigned into extremely high, high and considerable risk categories are subject to systemic control once a year, every two years or every three years accordingly. In case a surveillance object seems “law-abiding’, its category and intensity of control procedures may be changed. Programs for laboratory control over food products are suggested to be based on risk profiles, spotting out priority indicators that make major contributions into risks. Also the approach involves using mathematical models that describe a relation between a number of observations and an expected answer (as a reduction in quantities of deviating samples at the next stage in the control cycle). This model determines how many samples of priority indicators should be tested in order to achieve a target risk level. It also allows predict an expected number of violations and health risk rates at the next stage in the control cycle given the present number of observations.
85 regional registers of food products were created and categories were determined as per health risks for all groups of food products under surveillance. It was shown that in some cases it was necessary to increase a number of observations over priority (“risky”) indicators in order to detect hazardous products and withdraw them from the market. Certain examinations seem redundant as they don’t play any role in making control procedures more efficient.
The suggested approaches are universal and dynamic. Basic trends in the model development may include more targeted selection of products for control; risk profiles creations and systemic actualization; further development of laboratory support for control (surveillance) given that the food products market is changing dynamically in the country.
- Yamashkin Yu.V., Filippova I.V. Kachestvo i bezopasnost' pishchevoi produktsii v Rossii: problemy i perspektivy [Food quality and safety in Russia: problems and prospects]. Finansovaya ekonomika, 2018, no. 5, pp. 1145–1147 (in Russian).
- Kees J., Burton S., Andrews J.C. Government efforts to aid consumer well-being: Understanding federal health warnings and disclosures. In: M.I. Norton, D.D. Rucker, C. Lamberton eds. The Cambridge handbook of consumer psychology. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2015, pp. 530–563. DOI: 10.1017/CBO9781107706552.020
- Alomirah H.F., Al-Zenki S.F., Sawaya W.N., Jabsheh F., Husain A.J., Al-Mazeedi H.M., Al-Kandari D., Jukes D. Assessment of the food control system in the State of Kuwait. Food control, 2010, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 496–504. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2009.07.015
- Bovay J. Demand for collective food-safety standards. Agricultural Economics, 2017, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 793–803. DOI: 10.1111/agec.12375
- Efremova I. Fighting for quality and safety of the products: experience of the Byelorussian colleagues. Molochnaya promyshlennost', 2019, no. 11, pp. 27 (in Russian).
- Stepanova L.I. Kachestvo i bezopasnost' produktsii – osnova doveriya potrebitelei [Product quality and safety is the basis of consumer trust]. Pererabotka moloka, 2018, no. 4 (222), pp. 10–11 (in Russian).
- Gorina E.A. Kachestvo i bezopasnost' kak klyuchevye trebovaniya potrebitelei k pishchevoi produktsii [Quality and safety as main consumer requirements to food products]. Nauchno-tekhnicheskie vedomosti Sankt-Peterburgskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Ekonomicheskie nauki, 2009, no. 5 (85), pp. 243–247 (in Russian).
- Dubois-Brissonnet F., Guillier L. Les maladies microbiennes d'origine alimentaire [Microbial foodborne diseases]. Cahiers de Nutrition et de Dietetique, 2020, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 30–38. DOI: 10.1016/j.cnd.2019.12.001 (in French).
- Osipova N.I. Moloko i molochnye produkty kak faktory riska peredachi infektsionnykh zabolevanii [Milk and milk products as risk factors of communicable diseases transmission]. Veterinariya. Referativnyi zhurnal, 2006, no. 3, pp. 625 (in Russian).
- Sjölund J., Kull I., Bergström A., Järås J., Ludvigsson J.F., Törnblom H., Simrén M., Olén O. Allergy-related diseases in childhood and risk for abdominal pain-related functional gastrointestinal disorders at 16 years—a birth cohort study. BMC Med., 2021, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 214. DOI: 10.1186/s12916-021-02069-3
- Berketova L., Khristinina E. Allergens in food products. Bulletin of Science and Practice, 2018, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 197–207 (in Russian).
- Baranovskaya M., Tutarishcheva S., Tseeva S. On the importance of the application of HACCP in the sphere of food products. Colloquium-journal, 2019, no. 24–10 (48), pp. 82–84. DOI: 10.24411/2520-6990-2019-10870 (in Russian).
- Williams M.S., Ebel E.D., Saini G., Nyirabahizi E. Changes in salmonella contamination in meat and poultry since the introduction of the pathogen reduction and hazard analysis and critical control point rule. J. Food Prot., 2020, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 1707–1717. DOI: 10.4315/JFP-20-126
- Rosak-Szyrocka J., Abbase A.A. Quality management and safety of food in HACCP system aspect. Production Engineering Archives, 2020, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 50–53. DOI: 10.30657/pea.2020.26.11
- Kho J.S., Jeong J. HACCP-based cooperative model for smart factory in South Korea. Procedia Computer Science, 2020, vol. 175, pp. 778–783. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2020.07.116
- Popova A.Yu. Risk analysis as a strategic sphere in providing food products safety. Health Risk Analysis, 2018, no. 4, pp. 4–12. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2018.4.01.eng
- Eliseeva L.G., Makhotina I.A., Kalachev S.L. Ensuring government control over food safety in Russia. Natsional'naya bezopasnost' / nota bene, 2019, no. 2, pp. 1–14. DOI: 10.7256/2454-0668.2019.2.29063 (in Russian).
- Vyaznikov A.V., Tsareva G.R. Risk-based approach as effective model of control and supervision activities. Upravlenie kachestvom v obrazovanii i promyshlennosti: sbornik statei Vserossiiskoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi konferentsii, 2020, pp. 497–500 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V. Risk-Based surveillance as a strategic tool to improve food safety in the Russian consumer market. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2020, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 1398–1406. DOI: 10.47470/0016-9900-2020-99-12-1398-1406 (in Russian).
- Smith J., Ross K., Whiley H. Australian food safety policy changes from a “command and control” to an “outcomes-based” approach: Reflection on the effectiveness of its implementation. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 2016, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1218. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph13121218
- Usmanova D.R. Kazamirov A.I. The risk-oriented approach in control and oversight activities. Evraziiskii yuridicheskii zhurnal, 2016, no. 6 (97), pp. 69–70 (in Russian).
- Bogdanova O.G., Molchanova O.A., Tarmaeva I.Yu., Efimova N.V. Assessment and classification of food products as per health risks caused by chemical and microbiological contamination. Health Risk Analysis, 2021, no. 1, pp. 57–67. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2021.1.06.eng
- Kriga A.S., Ovchinnikova E.L., Boiko M.N., Men'shikova Yu.V., Vinokurova I.I. Rezul'taty otsenki riska zdorov'yu naseleniya Omskoi oblasti ot khimicheskogo zagryazneniya sredy obitaniya i ikh ispol'zovanie v planirovanii kontrol'no-nadzornoi deyatel'nosti [The results of assessing the population health risks in Omsk region caused by chemical pollution of the environment and using them in planning control and surveillance activities]. Aktual'nye voprosy analiza riska pri obespechenii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya i zashchity prav potrebitelei: Materialy VIII Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. In: A.Yu. Popova, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Perm, 2018, pp. 174–180 (in Russian).
- Koichubekov B.K., Sorokina M.A., Mkhitaryan X.E. Sample size determination in planning of scientific research. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamental'nykh issledovanii, 2014, no. 4, pp. 71–74 (in Russian).
- Frolova O.A., Karpova M.V., Makhmutova I.P., Musin R.A. Monitoring and assessment contamination of toxic elements food in Tatarstan. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 72–75 (in Russian).
- Kozlova A.B., Stokoz S.V. Estimation of the nitrate availability level in vegetables coming to the Blagoveschensk town market. Vestnik KrasGAU, 2009, no. 12, pp. 95–100 (in Russian).
- Fedorenko E.V., Likhashva V.N. Methodological approaches to health risk management associated with viral contamination of food products. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda, 2019, no. 29, pp. 81–84 (in Russian).
- Osk M., Park B., Park H., Oh I.-H., Yoon S.-J., Cho B., Jo M.-W. Disability Weights Measurement for 289 Causes of Disease Considering Disease Severity in Korea. J. Korean Med. Sci., 2019, vol. 34, suppl. 1, pp. e60. DOI: 10.3346/jkms.2019.34.e60
- Nikiforova N.V., May I.V. Formirovanie profilei riska produktsii dlya optimizatsii kontrol'no-nadzornykh meropriyatii na primere stroitel'nykh i otdelochnykh materialov [Creation of product risk profiles to optimize control and surveillance activities using the example of construction and finishing materials]. Aktual'nye voprosy analiza riska pri obespechenii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya i zashchity prav potrebitelei: Materialy IX Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Perm, 2019, pp. 36–41 (in Russian).