Analysis of occupational risk factors causing diseases of the circulatory system in medical workers: Literature review
L.M. Karamova1, E.T. Valeeva1, N.V. Vlasova1, R.R. Galimova1, G.R. Basharova2
1Ufa Research Institute of Occupational Medicine and Human Ecology, 94 Stepana Kuvykina Str., Ufa, 450106, Russian Federation
2Bashkir State Medical University, 3 Lenina Str., Ufa, 450008, Russian Federation
The review focuses on analysis of domestic and foreign literature sources concentrating on influence exerted by occupa-tional factors and factors related to labor process on prevalence of diseases of the circulatory system (CSD) among medical workers. At present, specific features typical for occupational activities performed by medical workers are proven to be among major causes of high CSD prevalence among them. Experts have established most common occupational factors and labor-related factors that are able to induce and stimulate development of cardiovascular pathology. Labor intensity associated with neuro-emotional loads, high responsibility, round-the-clock working regime and night shifts (hazard category 3.2–3.3) is estab-lished to have a leading role among adverse labor-related factors for medical workers. Other significant contributions are made by adverse chemicals and biological agents, noise and ultrasound, laser exposure and ionizing radiation. Some authors showed that CSD prevalence was considerably higher among medical workers than among people employed in other industries. The highest CSD prevalence was detected among medical workers with the most adverse working conditions (hazard category 3.2–3.3).
A high degree of occupational conditionality for CSD is typical for surgeons, therapists, and phthisiatricians. Emergency doctors run the highest risk of CSD (RR = 3.1; EF = 67.7 %). Assessment cardiovascular risks according to the SCORE system revealed that approximately 15 % medical workers older than 40 ran moderate cardiovascular risks; medical workers older than 50, high (20.0–22.0 %) or extremely high (10.0–12.5 %) total risks of death due to CSD.
- Aver'yanova T.A., Poteryaeva E.L., Trufanova N.L., Chebykin D.V. Okhrana zdorov'ya meditsinskikh rabotnikov v usloviyakh modernizatsii zdravookhraneniya [Health protection of medical workers in the context of health care modernization]. Sibirskoe meditsinskoe obozrenie, 2012, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 79–83 (in Russian).
- Gimaeva Z.F., Karimova L.K., Zaharova R.R. Rol' periodicheskikh meditsinskikh osmotrov v vyyavlenii faktorov riska serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevanii u rabotnikov neftepererabatyvayushchikh i neftekhimicheskikh proizvodstv [Role of periodic medical examinations in identifying risk factors of cardiovascular diseases in oil refining and petrochemical workers]. Gigiena, profpatologiya i riski zdorov'yu naseleniya: materialy Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Ufa, 2016, pp. 408–412 (in Russian).
- Ford E.S., Capewell S. Proportion of the decline in cardiovascular mortality disease due to prevention versus treatment: public health versus clinical care. Annu. Rev. Public Health, 2011, vol. 32, pp. 5–22. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101211
- Begun D.N., Morozova T.A., Surikova A.V. Bolezni sistemy krovoobrashcheniya kak mediko-sotsial'naya problema [Diseases of the circulatory system as a medical and social problem]. Molodoi uchenyi, 2019, vol. 246, no. 8, pp. 25–28 (in Russian).
- Shalnova S.A., Konradi A.O., Karpov Yu.A., Kontsevaya A.V., Deev A.D., Kapustina A.V., Khudyakov M.B., Shlyakhto E.V., Boytsov S.A. Cardiovascular mortality in 12 Russian Federation regions – participants of the "Cardiovascular disease epidemiology in Russian regions" study. Rossiiskii kardiologicheskii zhurnal, 2012, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 6–11 (in Russian).
- Moskvicheva M.G., Belova S.A., Kremlev S.L., Karpova M.I., Samsonova N.A. Regional specifics of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Kardiovaskulyarnaya terapiya i profilaktika, 2016, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 66–69. DOI: 10.15829/1728-8800-2016-4-66-69 (in Russian).
- Tsalikova A.A., Tulatova O.V. Faktory riska razvitiya serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevanii i informirovannost' o nikh naseleniya [Risk factors for the development of cardiovascular diseases and the awareness of the population about them]. Molodoi uchenyi, 2015, vol. 95, no. 15, pp. 318–322 (in Russian).
- Kosarev V.V., Babanov S.A. Health or profession (revealing and preventive maintenance of professional diseases of medical workers). Yakutskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2009, no. 3, pp. 90–94.
- Yurt A., Cavuşoğlu B., Günay T. Evaluation of awareness on radiation protection and knowledge about radiological examinations in healthcare professionals who use ionized radiation at work. Mol. Imaging Radionucl. Ther., 2014, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 48–53. DOI: 10.4274/mirt.00719
- Vdovina D.M. Sindrom «emotsional'nogo vygoraniya» i konfliktnoe povedenie v professional'noi deyatel'nosti meditsinskikh sester [Burnout syndrome and conflict behavior in the professional activities of nurses]. Byulleten' meditsinskikh internet-konferentsii, 2014, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 137 (in Russian).
- Gatiyatullina L.L. The factors affecting medical professionals’ health. Kazanskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2016, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 426–431 (in Russian).
- Fedorovich S.V., Arsentyeva N.L., Rybina T.M. Ecology and health of medical staff. Problemy zdorov'ya i ekologii, 2004, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 93–105 (in Russian).
- Gorsky A.A., Pochtareva E.S., Pilishenko V.A., Kurkin D.P., Glushkova N.Yu. On the labor conditions and occupational diseases workers in the Russian Federation. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2014, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 8–11 (in Russian).
- Panyushova E.P., Kiryushin V.A. Hygienic evaluation of working conditions and health state of medical personnel of paraclinical units. Nauka molodykh (Eruditio Juvenium), 2019, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 129–138. DOI: 10.23888/HMJ201971129-138 (in Russian).
- Yezheleva M., Lastkov D. Analysis of morbidity and work conditions among therapeutic and surgical nurses. Vestnik gigieny i epidemiologii, 2018, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 8–13 (in Russian).
- Oborina S.V. Health assessment of healthcare workers of clinical and laboratory services depending on work environment and work process factors. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2018, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 22–27 (in Russian).
- Bakumov P.A., Zernyukova E.A., Grechkina E.R. The quality of life and the state of health in medical personnel. Organizatsiya okhrany zdorov'ya, 2012, no. 3, pp. 118–122 (in Russian).
- Yevstigneyev S.V., Vasilyev V.V. Social and hygienic aspects of health maintenance of healthcare workers in a large clinical hospital. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 4, pp. 114–120 (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F. Analiz vliyaniya professional'nykh faktorov na zdorov'e medikov [Analysis of the influence of occupational factors on the health of physicians]. Trud i zdorov'e medikov. Moscow, Real'noe vremya, 2005, 40 p. (in Russian).
- Karamova L.M., Hafizova A.S., Basharova G.R. Comparative characteristics of health professional’s emergency medical services and other medical institutions. Gigiena, profpatologiya i riski zdorov'yu naseleniya. Materialy vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Ufa, 2016, pp. 430–435 (in Russian).
- Malikova A.I., Chudnovez G.M., Valeeva E.T., Galimova R.R., Gazizova N.R., Karamova L.M., Shaikhlislamova E.R., Girfanova L.V. Health status of chrome compounds manufacture workers. Gigiena, profpatologiya i riski zdorov'yu naseleniya. Materialy vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Ufa, 2016, pp. 468–473 (in Russian).
- Bakumov P.A., Volchanskiy M.E., Zernyukova E.A., Grechkina E.R., Kovalskaya E.N., Ledovskaya T.I. Emotional burnout in doctors and medical nurses. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2018, no. 2, pp. 30–36 (in Russian).
- Krasovskiy V.O., Karamova L.M., Basharova G.R., Galiullin A.R. Сlinical and hygienic estimation professional risks to health of medical workers of stations fast medical aid. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2016, no. 2, pp. 121 (in Russian).
- Timerbulatov R.F., Zul'karnaev T.R., Timerbulatov F.D., Timerbulatov I.F., Zul'karnaeva A.T. Characteristics of the cardiovascular system in workers of traveling emergency teams at work. Profilakticheskaya meditsina, 2012, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 16–19 (in Russian).
- Kristensen T.S. Cardiovascular diseases and the work environment. A critical review of the epidemiologic literature on chemical factors. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 1989, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 245–264. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.1854
- Yezheleva M.I. Hygienic assessment of medical workers work conditions and risk of their morbidity. Zdorov'e cheloveka, teoriya i metodika fizicheskoi kul'tury i sporta, 2020, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 160–184 (in Russian).
- Karamova L.M., Krasovskii V.O., Basharova G.R., Khafizova A.S., Gazizova N.R., Bulykov R.M. Occupation risk of circulatory system diseases in health care workers ambulance station. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2016, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 131–137 (in Russian).
- Karamova L.M., Krasovsky V.O., Akhmetshina V.T., Khafizova A.S., Vlasova N.V., Bulyakov R.M., Nafikov R.G. Occupational health risks of emergency health care workers. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2017, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 28–36 (in Russian).
- Karamova L.M., Krasovskiy V.O., Vlasova N.V., Khafizova A.S. Health of hemodialysis healthcare workers. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2018, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 89–95 (in Russian).
- Akhmetshina V.T., Bakirov A.B., Valeeva E.T. Zakonomernosti formirovaniya zdorov'ya meditsinskikh rabotnikov Respubliki Bashkortostan v sovremennykh usloviyakh: materialy vtorogo Vserossiiskogo s"ezda vrachei profpatologov [Regularities of the formation of medical workers’ health in the Republic of Bashkortostan in modern conditions: materials of the second All-Russian congress of occupational pathologists]. Rostov on Don, ZAO «Poligrafist», 2006, pp. 111–112 (in Russian).
- Babanov S.A., Baraeva R.A., Budash D.S. Lesions of cardiovascular system in the practice of a pathologist. Meditsinskii al'manakh, 2016, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 106–111 (in Russian).
- Gainullina M.K., Yanbuhtina G.A., Krasovsky V.O., Masyagutova L.M., Volgareva A.D., Hafizova A.S., Sleptsova A.I., Nafikov R.G. [et al.]. Prevalence of diseases among poultry complex female workers. Gigiena, profpatologiya i riski zdorov'yu naseleniya: materialy vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Ufa, 2016, pp. 381–389 (in Russian).
- Dubel' Ye.V. Prevalence of different classes of diseases among the health care workers of a large inpatient hospital. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, vol. 268, no. 7, pp. 17–20 (in Russian).
- Karamova L.M., Nafikov R.G. Occupational burnout syndrome in emergency healthcare workers. Vestnik rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta, 2013, no. 5–6, pp. 133–135 (in Russian).
- Clough B.A., March S., Chan R.J., Casey L.M., Phillips R., Ireland M.J. Psychosocial interventions for managing occupational stress and burnout among medical doctors: a systematic review. Systematic Reviews, 2017, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 144. DOI: 10.1186/s13643-017-0526-3
- Valeyeva E.T., Karamova L.M., Shaikhlislamova E.R., Krasovskiy V.O., Vlasova N.V. Hygienic approaches to the prevention of occupational diseases among healthcare workers. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 936–942. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2019-98-9-936-942 (in Russian).
- Petri A.N. Osobennosti emotsional'nogo vygoraniya meditsinskikh rabotnikov [Features of emotional burnout of medical workers]. Akmeologiya, 2017, no. 1, pp. 128–133 (in Russian).
- Ovchinnikov Yu.V., Palchenkova M.V., Kalachev O.V. Burnout syndrome: diagnosis, principles of treatment, prophylaxis. Voenno-meditsinskii zhurnal, 2015, vol. 336, no. 7, pp. 17–24 (in Russian).
- Mingote Adan J.C., Moreno Jiménez B., Gálvez Herrer M. [Burnout and the health of the medical professionals: review and preventive options]. Med. Clin. (Barc.), 2004, vol. 123, no. 7, pp. 265–270. DOI: 10.1157/13065203 (in Spanish).
- Mosadeghrad A.M., Ferlie E., Rosenberg D. A study of relationship between job stress, quality of working life and turnover intention among hospital employees. Health Serv. Manage Res., 2011, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 170–181. DOI: 10.1258/hsmr.2011.011009