Risk of sensitization to ecopollutants in teenagers with inherited chemical burden
L.B. Masnavieva, N.V. Efimova, I.V. Kudaeva
East-Siberian Institute of Medical and Ecological Research, 12a the 3rd micro-district, Angarsk, 665827, Russian Federation
At present allergic diseases are detected in 30% people and their frequency is only growing. A significant role in allergic pathology occurrence belongs to ambient air contamination and chemicals being introduced not only into children’s bodies, but their parents’ ones as well since pollutants can act as allergens and sensitizing agents.
Our research goal was to examine influence exerted by parents’ pre-gestation exposure to chemicals on sensitization among teenagers living in an area where ambient air was contaminated.
We examined overall immunoglobulin E contents and leukocytes migration inhibition test with formaldehyde and sodium nitrite in 115 teenagers whose parents worked under adverse working conditions at chemical and petrochemical enterprises and in 244 schoolchildren whose parents didn’t have any occupational contacts with chemicals. Each group was divided into sub-groups depending on inhalation chemical burden on schoolchildren’s bodies caused by ambient air contamination and contaminated air indoors (with hazard index (HI) for immune disorders being lower than 2 and HI≥2).
The research allowed establishing that teenagers whose parents had worked at chemical and petrochemical enterprises during a pre-gestation period had elevated IgE contents more frequently as well as changes in leukocytes migration inhibition test with formaldehyde; it indicated there was sensitization to this chemical. Parents’ occupational contacts with chemicals led to an increase in relative risks of elevated igE contents and 2.5 times higher sensitization among schoolchildren with HI<2. Risk that sensitization to formaldehyde might occur was equal to 2.3 among senior schoolchildren with HI≥2 whose parents worked at chemical enterprises.
- Il'ina N.I., Luss L.V., Nazarova E.V. Environment and allergies. Meditsinskii opponent, 2019, no. 2 (6), pp. 12–17 (in Russian).
- Simon D. Recent Advances in Clinical Allergy and Immunology. Int Arch Allergy Immunol, 2018, vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 324–333. DOI: 10.1159/000494931
- Vyalkov A.I., Bobrovnitskii I.P., Rakhmanin Yu.A., Razumov A.N. Ways of improving the health organization in the conditions of growing ecological challenges of life safety and population health. Russian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 2017, no. 1, pp. 24–41 (in Russian).
- Trifonova T.A., Martsev A.A. Assessment of the impact of air pollution on population morbidity rate in the Vladimir region. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 14–18 (in Russian).
- Masnavieva L.B., Kudaeva I.V., Efimova N.V., Zhurba O.M. Individual exposure load of formaldehyde and adolescents' organism sensibilization. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2017, no. 6, pp. 3–8 (in Russian).
- Hajat A., Allison M., Diez-Roux A.V., Jenny N.S., Jorgensen N.W., Szpiro A.A., Vedal S., Kaufman J.D. Long-term exposure to air pollution and markers of inflammation, coagulation, and endothelial activation: a repeat-measures analysis in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Epidemiology, 2015, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 310–320. DOI: 10.1097/EDE.000000000000026
- Zhai L., Zhao J., Xu B., Deng Y., Xu Z. Influence of indoor formaldehyde pollution on respiratory system health in the urban area of Shenyang, China. Afr Health Sci, 2013, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 137–143. DOI: 10.4314/ahs.v13i1.1
- Dolgikh O.V., Starkova K.G., Krivtsov A.V., Kazakova O.A., Mazunina A.A. Immunogenetic markers of the Siberia southern regions' population under the exposure of technogenous factors. Yakutskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2019, no. 2 (66), pp. 53–55 (in Russian).
- Taranenko N.A., Meshchakova N.M., Shayakhmetov S.F. Assessment the sanitary-hygienic conditions of workplace air in chemical productions of petrochemical industry in eastern Siberia. Byulleten' Vostochno-Sibirskogo nauchnogo tsentra Sibirskogo otdeleniya Rossiiskoi akademii meditsinskikh nauk, 2014, no. 3 (97), pp. 66–71 (in Russian).
- Sivochalova O.V., Gainullina M.K., Yakupova A.Kh., Karimova L.K., Irmyakova A.R. Evaluation of the level of gynecological morbidity, etiological caused by the impact on workers of toxic substances. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 2, pp. 33–38 (in Russian).
- Abaturov A.E. Influence of Exogenous Factors on Genomic Imprinting. 2. Effect of Bad Habits of Parents on Genomic Imprinting of the Descendants. Zdorov'e rebenka, 2016, no. 6 (74), pp. 115–120. DOI: 10.22141/2224-05184.108.40.2066.82143
- Pushkareva L.A., Vasil'eva E.A., Mikhailova I.V., Miroshnichenko I.V. Exposure to tobacco smoke offspring of rats Wistar. Rossiiskii immunologicheskii zhurnal, 2016, vol. 10 (19), no. 3, pp. 340–342 (in Russian).
- Joubert B.R., Felix J.F., Yousefi P., Bakulski K.M., Just A.C., Breton C., Reese S.E., Markunas C.A. [et al.]. DNA Methylation in Newborns and Maternal Smoking in Pregnancy: Genome-wide Consortium Meta-analysis. Am J Hum Genet, 2016, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 680–696. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajhg.2016.02.019
- Smejda K., Polanska K., Merecz-Kot D., Krol A., Hanke W., Jerzynska J., Stelmach W., Majak P., Stelmach I. Maternal Stress During Pregnancy and Allergic Diseases in Children During the First Year of Life. Respir Care, 2018, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 70–76. DOI: 10.4187/respcare.05692
- Thacher J.D., Gruzieva O., Pershagen G., Neuman Å., van Hage M., Wickman M., Kull I., Melén E., Bergström A. Parental smoking and development of allergic sensitization from birth to adolescence. Allergy, 2016, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 39–48. DOI: 10.1111/all.12792
- Morgan H.L., Watkins A.J. Transgenerational Impact of Environmental Change. Adv Exp Med Biol, 2019, no. 1200, pp. 71–89. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-23633-5_4
- Lane M., Robker R.L., Robertson S.A. Parenting from before conception. Science, 2014, vol. 345 (6198), pp. 756–760. DOI: 10.1126/science.1254400
- Shachar-Dadon A., Gueron-Sela N., Weintraub Z., Maayan-Metzger A., Leshem M. Pre-Conception War Exposure and Mother and Child Adjustment 4 Years Later. J Abnorm Child Psychol, 2017, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 131–142. DOI: 10.1007/s10802-016-0153-9
- Tremblay A., Beaud H., Delbès G. Transgenerational impact of chemotherapy: Would the father exposure impact the health of future progeny? Gynecol Obstet Fertil Senol, 2017, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 609–618. DOI: 10.1016/j.gofs.2017.09.004
- Vokina V.A., Novikov M.A., Alekseenko A.N., Sosedova L.M., Kapustina E.A., Bogomolova E.S., Elfimova T.A. Experimental evaluation of effect of wildfire smoke exposure on reproductive function of small mammals and their offspring. Izvestiya Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya. Ekologiya, 2019, vol. 29, pp. 88–98 (in Russian).
- Fesenko M.A., Sivochalova O.V., Fedorova E.V. Occupational reproductive system diseases in female workers employed at workplaces with harmful working conditions. Health Risk Analysis, 2017, no. 3, pp. 92–100. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2017.3.11.eng
- Meshchakova N.M., Shayakhmetov S.F., Lemeshevskaya E.P., Zhurba O.M. Score exposition of chemical loads and their association with occupational risks in the modern manufacture of polyvinyl chloride. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1074–1078 (in Russian).
- Efimova N.V., Abramatets E.A., Tikhonova I.V. The impact of the chemical factor on children’s health with account of the early stages of ontogenesis. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 83–86 (in Russian).
- Masnavieva L.B., Kudaeva I.V., Efimova N.V. The levels of specific autoantibodies and risks for the formation of pathological processes in conditions of inhalation exposure to chemicals. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 106–110 (in Russian).
- Khakimova R.F., Dautov F.F., Yusupova N.Z. Study of allergic morbidity in children of female workers from various fields of national economy. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2007, no. 2, pp. 58–60 (in Russian).
- Erdneeva N.V., Dautov F.F. Allergic disease of children of working women of rubber manufacture. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya, 2012, no. 4–1, pp. 163–166 (in Russian).
- Arshad S.H., Karmaus W., Zhang H., Holloway J.W. Multigenerational cohorts in patients with asthma and allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2017, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 415–421. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaci.2016.12.002
- Fedoseev G.B., Trofimov V.I., Timchik V.G., Negrutsa K.V., Golubeva V.I., Gorovneva E.V., Razumovskaya T.S., Birulya I.V. [et al.]. Infectious and noninfectious sensibilization of patients with bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Rossiiskii allergologicheskii zhurnal, 2015, no. 6, pp. 39–53 (in Russian).
- Novikova T.P., Dotsenko E.A. Diagnostic value of determination of total IGE in respiratory allergy. Laboratornaya diagnostika. Vostochnaya Evropa, 2019, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 40–50 (in Russian).
- Trukhan D.I., Natal'ya V.B., Valentina A.A. Actual aspects of diagnosis and treatment of atopic bronchial asthma. Terapiya, 2017, no. 8 (18), pp. 53–62 (in Russian).