Endothelin-1 as a risk factor causing cardiovascular pathology in young and middle-aged people employed under hazardous working conditions
I.A. Umnyagina, T.V. Blinova, L.A. Strakhova, V.V. Troshin, Yu.V. Ivanova, E.I. Sorokina
Nizhegorodskiy Scientific Research Institute for Hygiene and Occupational Pathology, 20 Semashko Str., Nizhniy Novgorod, 603950, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to reveal peculiarities related to changes in endothelin-1 contents in blood serum in young and middle-aged people exposed to occupational noise and industrial welding and silicon-containing aerosols with fibrogenic effects. Another goal was to establish a correlation between endothelin-1 contents and blood pressure, body mass, and dyslipidemia.
We examined workers employed at a metallurgic plant in Nizhniy Novgorod region. Endothelin-1 concentration in blood serum was determined with «Endothelin (1-21)», a reagent kit for ELISA produced by «Biomedica Medizinprodukte GmbH & Co KG» (Austria). We detected certain group differences in endothelin-1 contents in blood serum and frequency of its elevated concentrations between workers who had to work under different working conditions. We established a direct correlation between endothelin-1 and blood pressure, total cholesterol, and body mass index. Elevated endothelin-1 contents in people suffering from arterial hypertension can indicate a higher risk of complications this disease might have. People who have elevated endothelin-1 contents but normal blood pressure, total cholesterol within physiological standard and normal body mass index can be recommended to have regular medical check-ups focusing on functional state of their cardiovascular system; endothelin-1 in this case should be considered a risk factor that might cause cardiovascular pathology occurrence. An individual approach is required when assessing elevated endothelin-1 contents and probable use of this parameter as a risk factor that might cause cardiovascular pathology in young and middle-aged people employed under hazardous working conditions.
- Boitsov S.A., Pogosova N.V., Bubnova M.G., Drapkina O.M., Gavrilova N.E., Eganyan R.A., Kalinina A.M., Karamnova N.S. [et al.]. Cardiovascular prevention 2017. National guidelines. Rossiiskii kardiologicheskii zhurnal, 2018, no. 23 (6), pp. 7–122 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Izmerov N.F., Tikhonova G.I., Churanova A.N., Gorchakova T.Yu., Bryleva M.S., Krutko A.A. Work conditions as a risk factor mortality increase in able-bodied population. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 8, pp. 43–49 (in Russian).
- Postnikova L.V, Pakseeva V.S., Matantseva M.E. Problem of expertise of professional suitability of workers of metallurgical production. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2019, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 723–724 (in Russian).
- Cherepakhin D.I., Bazylev V.V., Evtyushkin I.A., Suchkov S.V., Bogopol'skaya O.M., Charchyan E.R., Belov Yu.V., Pal'tsev M.A. Modern markers in diagnostics of atherosclerosis. Kardiologiya i serdechno-sosudistaya khirurgiya, 2012, no. 5 (3), pp. 26–29 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Zemlyanova M.A., Chashchin V.P., Gudkov A.B. Scientifiic principles of use of biomarkers in medico-ecological studies (review). Ekologiya cheloveka, 2019, no. 9, pp. 4–14 (in Russian).
- Bohm F., Pernow J. The importance of endothelin-1 for vascular dysfunction in cardiovascular disease. Cardiovasc Res, 2007, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 8–18. DOI: 10.1016/j.cardiores.2007.06.004
- Jain A., Coffey C., Mehrotra V., Flammer J. Endothelin-1 traps as a potential therapeutic tool: from diabetes to beyond? Drug Discov Today, 2019, vol. 9, no. 24, pp. 1937–1942. DOI: 10.1016/j.drudis.2019.07.008
- Barton M., Yanagisawa M. Endothelin: 30 Years from Discovery to Therapy. Hypertension, 2019, vol. 6, no. 74, pp. 1232–1265. DOI: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.119.12105
- Beck D.T., Casey D.P., Martin J.S., Emerson B.D., Braith R.W. Exercise training improves endothelial function in young prehypertensives. Exp Biol Med (Maywood),2013, vol. 4, no. 238, pp. 433–441. DOI: 10.1177/1535370213477600
- Rautureau Y., Schiffrin E.L. Endothelin in hypertension: an update. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, 2012, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 128–136. DOI: 10.1097/MNH.0b013e32834f0092
- Lin Y.J., Juan C.C., Kwok C.F., Hsu Y.P., Shih K.C., Chen C.C., Ho L.T. Endothelin-1 exacerbates development of hypertension and atherosclerosis in modest insulin resistant syndrome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 2015, vol. 3, no. 460, pp. 497–503. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2015.03.017
- Zaric B., Obradovic M., Trpkovic A., Banach M., Mikhailidis D.P., Isenovic E. Endothelial dysfunction in dyslipidaemia: Molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Curr Med Chem, 2019, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1021–1040. DOI: 10.2174/0929867326666190903112146
- Bazarova E.L., Roslyi O.F., Osherov I.S., Roslaya N.A., Tartakovskaya L.Ya., Likhacheva E.I. The dynamics of the prevalence rate of general somatic diseases based on periodic medical examinations of metallurgical workers. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 1167–1171 (in Russian).
- Fokin V.A., Shlyapnikov D.M., Red'ko S.V. Risk assessment of occupational and occupationally conditioned diseases connection to noise when exceeding maximum permissible levels. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2018, no. 10, pp. 17–19 (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu. Working conditions and occupational morbidity in the Russian Federation. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 3, pp. 7–13 (in Russian).
- Kobalava Zh.D., Konradi A.O., Nedogoda S.V., Arutyunov G.P., Baranova E.I., Barbarash O.L., Villeval'de S.V., Galyavich A.S. [et al.]. Russian Society of Cardiology position paper on 2018 Guidelines of the European Society of Cardiology/European Society of Arterial Hypertension for the management of arterial hypertension. Rossiiskii kardiologicheskii zhurnal, 2018, no. 12, pp. 131–142 (in Russian).
- Chazova I.E., Zhernakova Yu.V. Diagnosis and treatment of arterial hypertension. Sistemnye gipertenzii, 2019, no. 16 (1), pp. 6–31 (in Russian).
- Grzhibovskii A.M. Analysis of three and more independent groups of quantitative data. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2008, no. 3, pp. 50–58 (in Russian).
- JNC 7 Express. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. U.S.A., U.S. Department of health and human services National Institutes of Health National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Publ., 2003, 1206 pp.
- Yang Y., Zhang E., Zhang J., Chen S., Yu G., Liu X., Peng C., Lavin M.F. [et al.]. Relationship between occupational noise exposure and the risk factors of cardiovascular disease in China: A meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore), 2018, vol. 30, no. 97, pp. e11720. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000011720
- Health risk analysis in the strategy of state social and economical development. In: G.G. Onishchenko, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Perm': Izdatel'stvo Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta Publ., 2014, 738 p. (in Russian).