Physiological criteria for improving labor intensity classification used in occupational risks assessment
I.V. Bukhtiyarov, O.I. Yushkova, M. Khodzhiev, A.V. Kapustina, A.Yu. Forverts
Izmerov Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31 Budennogo Ave., 105275, Moscow, Russian Federation
The paper focuses on results of substantiating and selecting informative physiological criteria that can be used for assessing and controlling functional state and working conditions category taking into account physical and nervous-emotional loads borne by CNC- machinery operators. Basing on complex physiological and ergonomic studies and retrospective data analysis, we showed that workers from various occupational groups who dealt with physical labor had to face certain strain over a working shift. Such strains, given long-term working experience, could result in neuromuscular system overstrain and occupational diseases occurrence.
We substantiated and developed informative physiological criteria that allowed assessing and controlling functional state and working capacity as well as working conditions category taking into account occupational activities.
The present research involved using a set of occupational studies, physiological and ergonomic procedures as well as clinical and statistic ones for examining peculiarities related to functional state of workers’ bodies under exposure to occupational factors taking into account specific working tasks and loads. It allowed us to substantiate labor intensity assessment.
Our research results revealed that there was a strong correlation between hand muscles endurance to static exertion (decrease in % by the end of a work shift) and working conditions category given local and overall muscular loads borne by workers. This criterion is recommended for control over functional state and working capacity taking into account occupational peculiarities and gender-related differences. It is necessary to accumulate scientific data for confirming a similar correlation between overall physical working capacity (OPWC) and working conditions category. Results obtained via physiological research were used for developing prevention activities for workers.
- Vasil'eva A.V., Gorshkov S.I., Gritsevskii M.A. Fiziologicheskie i gigienicheskie voprosy rezhimov truda i otdykha v promyshlennosti [Physiological and hygienic issues related to work and leisure regimes in industry]. Rezhimy truda i otdykha i grafiki smennosti v vedushchikh otraslyakh promyshlennost: Materialy simpoziuma. In: V.V. Kulemin ed. Moskva; Ivanovo, 1970, 177 p. (in Russian).
- Matyukhin V.V., Bukhtiyarov I.V., Yushkova O.I., Shardakova E.F., Kalinina S.A., Elizarova V.V., Yampol'skaya E.G., Poroshenko A.S. Sovershenstvovanie kriteriev otsenki perenapryazheniya i garmonizatsiya standartov fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti u rabotnikov sovremennykh form truda [Developing criteria for assessing overstrain and harmonizing standards for physical working capacity in workers employed in contemporary working conditions]. Aktual'nye problemy meditsiny truda: sbornik trudov instituta. In: I.V. Bukhtiyarov ed. Moscow, OOO «Melga» Publ., 2015, pp. 38–90 (in Russian).
- Gridin L.A., Ikhalainen A.A., Bogomolov A.V., Kovtun A.L., Kukushkin Yu.A. Metody issledovaniya i farmakologicheskoi korrektsii fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti cheloveka [Research procedures and procedures for pharmacological correction of human working capacity]. In: I.B. Ushakov ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 2007, 104 p. (in Russian).
- Theorell T., Perski A., Akerstedt T., Sigala F., Ahlberg-Hultén G., Svensson J., Eneroth P. Changes in job strain in relation to changes in physiological state. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2013, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 189–196. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.1932
- Anishchenko V.S., Kislitsyn Yu.L., Permyakov I.A. Monitoring rezervov fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti zdorov'ya studentov [Monitoring over reserves of students’ health and its physical working capacity]. Uspekhi i perspektivy fiziologii truda v tret'em tysyacheletii: materialy konferentsii. Moscow, 2001, pp. 25–27 (in Russian).
- Kosorotova N.S., Reshetenko I.N., Bulavina M.V. Otsenka rabotosposobnosti u rabotnikov, zanyatykh tyazhelym fizicheskim trudom. Professional'noe zdorov'e i trudovoe dolgoletie: materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. Shakhty, 2018, pp. 94–95 (in Russian).
- Abol'yan L.V. Znachenie urovnya obshchei fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti v razvitii utomleniya rabotayushchikh v usloviyakh professional'noi gipokinezii [Importance of overall physical working capacity and developing fatigue among workers under exposure to occupational hypokinesia]. Gigiena truda i professional'nye zabolevaniya, 1982, no. 10, pp. 14–18 (in Russian).
- Matyukhin V.V., Bukhtiyarov I.V., Yushkova O.I., Shardakova E.F., Yampol'skaya E.G., Elizarova V.V., Poroshenko A.S., Kapustina A.V. [et al.]. Labor physiology role in workers of different type labor activity workability and health. Progress and prospects. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2013, no. 6, pp. 19–24 (in Russian).
- Yampol'skaya E.G., Shardakova E.F., Elizarova V.V. Izuchenie vzaimosvyazi urovnya obshchei fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti i pokazatelei zabolevaemosti [Examining a correlation between overall physical working capacity and morbidity]. Psikhofiziologicheskie aspekty trudovoi deyatel'nosti: vserossiiskii sbornik nauchnykh statei. Tver', 2002, pp. 43–49 (in Russian).
- Matyukhin V.V., Elizarova V.V., Shardakova E.F., Yampol'skaya E.G. Risk factors of functional disorders in mental workers. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2009, no. 6, pp. 1–6 (in Russian).
- Shardakova E.F., Yushkova O.I., Elizarova V.V., Lagutina G.N. Physiological evaluation of physical and nervous-mental overloads in medicine of labor. Vestnik Tverskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya i ekologiya, 2018, no. 3, pp. 7–20 (in Russian).
- Danilov A.N., Bezrukova G.A., Novikova T.A. Work hardiness as a determinant of occupational health risk in agricultural workers. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 9, pp. 59 (in Russian).
- Merkulova A.G., Kalinina S.A., Bogdanova V.E. Dynamic study of the nervous muscular system of machine operator at the engine make. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2019, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 695–696 (in Russian).
- Punnett L., Prüss-Utün A., Imel Nelson D., Fingerhut M.A., Leigh J., Tak S.W., Phillips S. Estimating the global burden of low back pain attributable to combined occupational exposures. Am J Ind Med, 2005, vol. 48, pp. 459–469. DOI: 10.1002/ajim.20232
- Bruce P., Bernard M.D. Musculoskeletal disorders and workplace factors: A critical review of epidemiologic evidence for work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the neck, upper extremity and low back. U.S.A.: U.S. Department of health and human services Public Health Service Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Publ., 1997, 590 p.
- Ariëns G.A., Van Mechelen W., Bongers P.M., Bouter L.M., Van der Wal G. Physical risk factors for neck pain. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, 2000, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 17–19. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.504
- Musculoskeletal disorders and the workplace: Low Back and Upper Extremities. National Research Council and the Institute of Medicine. Washington, 2001, pp. 492. DOI: 10.17226/10032
- Haakkanen M., Viikari-Juntura E., Martikainen R. Incidence of muscular-sceletal disorders among newly employed manufacturing workers. Scand. J. Work Environ Health, 2001, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 381–387. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.630
- Heliovaara M. Work load and back pain. Scand. J. Work Environ Health, 1999, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 385–386. DOI: 10.5271/sjweh.450
- Maksimenko L.V., Yakovenko I.A. Backache risk in dentistry workers. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 9, pp. 118 (in Russian).
- Khodzhiev M., Shardakova E.F., Elizarova V.V. Assessing functional state of labor migrants engaged into construction works. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2017, no. 9, pp. 207 (in Russian).
- Prokopenko L.V., Shardakova E.F., Yampol'skaya E.G., Elizarova V.V., Lagutina A.V. Integrated physiological-hygienic evaluation of labor in leading professional groups under modern technologies of constructing activities. Vestnik Tverskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya i ekologiya, 2014, no. 1, pp. 65–74 (in Russian).
- Khodzhiev M. Cardiovascular features and adaptable opportunities of the first course university students organism. Vestnik Tverskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya i ekologiya, 2016, no. 3, pp. 18–27 (in Russian).
- Tsfasman A.Z., Alpaev D.V. Tsirkadnaya ritmika arterial'nogo davleniya pri izmenennom sutochnom ritme zhizni [Circadian rhythms of blood pressure in case daily rhythms have been changed]. Moscow, Reprotsentr Publ., 2011, 144 p. (in Russian).