Stress before exams as a risk factor causing functional disorders in the cardiovascular system in students with different metabolic status
Institute of Biomedical Investigations of Vladikavkaz Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 22 Markusa Str., Vladikavkaz, 362027, Russian Federation
Students who attend a medical HEE often face strain in their adaptation mechanisms when preparing for exams; it can create substantial preconditions for functional deregulation in body systems. The articles outlines some results obtained via examining heart rate variability (HRV) in students of the 2nd and the 3rd year attending the North Ossetia State Medical Academy who had different metabolic status in a period prior to exams.
Our research goal was to assess the state of the vegetative nervous system and regulatory systems in students with different metabolic status (BMI< 25; BMI=25–29.99; BMI=30–34.99.) who had to face excess stress during preparation to exams. Heart rate intervals were registered during five minutes in an examined person being at rest. HRV parameters were analyzed in time and frequency domains.
We revealed that medical students had elevated activity of the sympathetic section in their vegetative nervous system (VNS) during a period prior to exams; in particular, it was apparent for the regulation system of the vasomotor center (PLF = 48.4%). Students’ bodies had apparent strain in their regulatory systems (SI=177.5 a.u.). Total activity of the regulatory system was significantly elevated (TP=2,293 msec2) due to central regulation levels. As students’ BMI grew, there was a decrease in activity of the parasympathetic component in vegetative regulation and heart rate management became more centralized (IC=3.2–4.5 a.u.). Students with Class 3 obesity had the maximum spectrum power of the superlow component in heart rate variability (PVLF=29.3%). HRV parameters analysis allows estimating whether adaptation processes in students’ bodies are adequate during preparation to exams; it can be done in screening mode and provides an opportunity to perform timely prevention activities.
- Khetagurova L.G. Stress (khronomeditsinskie aspekty) [Stress (chronomedical aspects)]. Vladikavkaz, Izd-vo «Proekt-press» Publ., 2010, 191 p. (in Russian).
- Chibisov S.M., Rapoport S.I., Blagonravov M.L. Khronobiologiya i khronomeditsina [Chronobiology and chronomedicine]. Moscow, RUDN Publ., 2018, 415 p. (in Russian).
- Rotenstein L.S., Ramos M.A., Torre M., Segal J.B., Peluso M.J., Guille C., Sen S., Mata D.A. Prevalence of depression, depressive symptoms, and suicidal ideation among medical students. JAMA, 2016, vol. 316, no. 21, pp. 2214. DOI: 10.1001/jama.2016.17324
- Romo-Nava F., Tafoya S.A., Gutierrez-Soriano J., Osorio Y., Carriedo P., Ocampo B., Bobadilla R.I., Heinze G. The association between chronitipe and perceived academic stress to depression in medical students. Chorobiology international, 2016, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1359–1368. DOI: 10.1080/07420528.2016.1217230
- Zhong X., Liu Y., Pu J., Tian L., Gui S., Song X., Xu S., Zhou X. [et al.]. Depressive symptoms and quality of life among Chinese medical postgraduates: a national cross-sectional study. Psychology, Health & Medicine, 2019, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1015–1027. DOI: 10.1080/13548506.2019.1626453
- Tafoya S.A., Aldrete–Cortez V., Ortiz S., Fouilloux C., Flores F., Monterrosas A.M. Resilience, sleep quality and morningness as mediators of vulnerability to depression in medical students with sleep pattern alterations. Chronobiology International, 2019, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 381–391. DOI: 10.1080/07420528.2018.1552290
- Mao Y., Zhang N., Liu J., Zhu B., He R., Wang X. A systematic review of depression and anxiety in medical students in China. BMC Medical Education, 2019, no. 19 (327), 13 p. DOI: 10.1186/s12909-019-1744-2
- Roh M.S., Jeon H.J., Kim H., Han S.K., Hahm B.-J. The prevalence and impact of depression among medical students: A nation-wide cross-sectional study in Sous Korea. Acad. Med, 2010, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 1384–1390. DOI 10.1097/acm.0b013e3181df5e43
- Wilkinson T.J., McKenzie J.M., Ali A.N., Rudland J., Carter F.A., Bell C.J. Identifying medical students at risk of underperformance from significant stressors. BMC Medical Education, 2016, no. 16 (43), 9 p. DOI: 10.1186/s12909-016-0565-9
- Baranov V.M., Baevskii R.M., Berseneva A.P., Mikhailov V.M. Evaluation of adaptive abilities of an organism and tasks of healthcare effectiveness increase. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2004, no. 6, pp. 25–29 (in Russian).
- Baevskii R.M. Berseneva A.P. Vvedenie v donozologicheskuyu diagnostiku [Introduction to pre-nosologic diagnostics]. Moscow, Slovo Publ., 2008, 176 p. (in Russian).
- Tafoya S.A., Aldrete-Cortez V. The Interactive Effect of Positive Mental Health and Subjective Sleep Quality on Depressive Symptoms in High School Students. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 2019, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 818–826. DOI: 10.1080/15402002.2018.1518226
- Dong S.Y., Lee M., Park H., Youn I. Stress Resilience Measurement With Heart-Rate Variability During Mental And Physical Stress. Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc, 2018, no. 2018, pp. 5290–5293. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8513531
- Baevskii R.M., Ivanov G.G., Chireikin L.V., Gavrilushkin A.P., Dovgalevskii P.Ya., Kukushkin Yu.A., Mironova T.F., Prilutskii D.A. [et al.]. Analiz variabel'nosti serdechnogo ritma pri ispol'zovanii razlichnykh elektrokardiograficheskikh sistem [Heart rate variability analysis when using different electrocardiography systems]. Vestnik aritmologii, 2002, no. 24, pp. 65–87 (in Russian).
- Fleishman A.N. Medlennye kolebaniya kardioritma i fenomeny nelineinoi dinamiki: klassifikatsiya fazovykh portretov, pokazatelei energetiki, spektral'nogo i detrentnogo analiza [Slow fluctuations in heart rate and non-linear dynamics phenomena: classification of phase profiles, energy parameters, spectral and detrended analysis]. Materialy III Vserossiiskogo simpoziuma s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem i shkoly-seminara. Novokuznetsk, Nauchno-issledovatel'skii institute kompleksnykh problem gigieny i professional'nykh zabolevanii SO RAMN Publ., 2001, pp. 49–61 (in Russian).
- Fleishman A.N. Variabel'nost' ritma serdtsa i medlennye kolebaniya gemodinamiki. Nelineinye fenomeny v klinicheskoi praktike [Heart rate variability and slow fluctuations in hemodynamics. Non-linear phenomena in clinical practice]. Novosibirsk, Izd-vo SO RAN Publ., 2009, 194 p. (in Russian).
- The Global BMI Mortality Collaboration, Di Angelantonio E., Bhupathiraju S., Wormser D., Gao P., Kaptoge S., Berrington de Gonzalez A., Cairns B. [et al.]. Body-mass index and all-cause mortality: individual participant-data meta-analysis of 239 prospective studies in four continents. Lancet, 2016, vol. 20, no. 388 (10046), pp. 776–786. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30175-1
- Aune D., Sen A., Prasad M., Norat T., Janszky I., Tonstad S., Romundstad P., Vatten L.J. BMI and all-cause mortality: systematic review and nonlinear dose–response metaanalysis of 230 cohort studies with 3,74 million deaths among 30,3 million participants. BMJ, 2016, no. 353, pp. i2156. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.i2156
- The GBD 2015 Obesity Collaborators, Afshin A., Forouzanfar M.H., Reitsma M.B., Sur P., Estep K., Lee A., Marczak L. Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity in 195 Countries over 25 Years. N Engl J Med, 2017, no. 377 (1), pp. 13–27. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1614362
- Nevzorova V.A., Abramov E.A., Vlasenko A.N. Osobennosti lipidnogo spektra, variabel'nosti arterial'nogo davleniya i serdechnogo ritma u bol'nykh c klinicheskimi proyavleniyami metabolicheskogo sindroma [Peculiarities of lipid spectrum, blood pressure variability, and heart rate variability in patients with clinical signs of metabolic syndrome]. Vestnik aritmologii, 2004, no. 36, pp. 27–30 (in Russian).
- Kseneva S.I., Borodulina E.V., Udut V.V., Fisenko V.P. Mechanism Underlying the Formation of a Cluster of Metabolic Syndrome. Endocr. Metab. Immune Disord. Drug Targets, 2020, no. 20. DOI: 10.2174/1871530319666191007115214
- Kseneva S.I., Borodulina E.V., Trifonova O.Yu., Udut V.V. Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system in the mechanisms of metabolic syndrome development. Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2018, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 119–124. DOI: 10.29001/2073-8552-2018-33-4-119-124
- Zvolinskaya E.Yu., Aleksandrov A.A. Assessment of risk of cardiovascular diseases in persons of young age. Kardiologiya, 2010, no. 8, pp. 37–47 (in Russian).
- Matthews K.A., Katholi C.R., McCreath H., Whooley M.A., Williams D.R., Zhu S., Markovitz J.H. Blood pressure reactivity to psychological stress predicts hypertension in the CARDIA study. Circulation, 2004, no. 110, pp. 74–78. DOI: 10.1161/01.CIR.0000133415.37578.E4
- Matyushichev V.B., Shamratova V.B., Tupinevich G.S., Garifullina G.R. Risk factors of atherosclerosis in young people. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2008, no. 3, pp. 66–69 (in Russian).
- McGill H.C., McMahan C.A. Starting earlier to prevent heart disease. JAMA, 2003, vol. 290, no. 17, pp. 2320–2322. DOI: 10.1001/jama.290.17.2320