Immunologic monitoring over people vaccinated against plague in caspian sand natural focus in order to assess and manage health risks
S.A. Bugorkova, S.N. Klyueva, O.M. Kudryavtseva, V.P. Toporkov, T.N. Shchukovskaya, A.L. Kravtsov, N.I. Mikshis, M.A. Tarasov, S.A. Shcherbakova, V.V. Kutyrev
«Microbe» Russian Scientific Research Anti-Plague Institute, 46 Universitetskaya Str., Saratov, 410005, Russian Federation
To provide better opportunities for managing both risks caused by vaccination and risks of epidemiological complications, immunologic monitoring over people vaccinated with live dried plague vaccine (LPV) due to epidemiologic indications was performed.
Our research goal was to assess whether immunologic monitoring over people vaccinated against plague yielded informative results; it was done to substantiate activities aimed at improving procedures for LPV application. Immunologic monitoring was performed from 2016 to 2019 in the Caspian sand natural plague focus according to conventional procedures for assessing humoral and cellular components in immunity.
We determined immunologic parameters in 217 volunteers vaccinated with LPV and 130 healthy donors (the reference group) prior to and 1 and 12 months after vaccination. We suggested a methodical approach based on aggregated analysis of the summated immune response predictors chosen for estimation in volunteers vaccinated with LPV and giving score values to them; it allows revealing people who react to plague microbe antigens predominantly as per cellular, humoral, or mixed type.
Immunologic monitoring results proved that it was safe to apply LPV; they allowed characterizing trends occurring in immunological restructuring in vaccinated volunteers, determining limits of fluctuation in individual parameters of an immune response to the vaccine, and revealing people with both normal and changed (reduced or increased) immunologic reactivity to LPV. If monitoring data are taken into account, it provides an opportunity to predict vaccination results as per epidemiological parameters, to reveal groups with normal, high, or low immune reactivity to plague microbe antigens in order to determine people in them who need an individual approach when it comes down to anti-plague vaccination.
- Matrosov A.N., Sintsov V.K., Mandzhieva V.S., Golosovskii S.M., Kim T.S., Leshchuk V.A., Kuznetsov A.A., Porshakov A.M. [et al.]. Factors that predetermined activation of plague epizooties in the pre-Caspian sandy natural focus in 2014. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2015, no. 4, pp. 30–35 (in Russian).
- Popov N.V., Kuznetsov A.A., Matrosov A.N., Korzun V.M., Verzhutskii D.B., Vershinin S.A., Kosilko S.A., Innokent'eva T.M. [et al.]. Epizootic activity of natural plague foci of the Russian Federation in 2008–2017 and forecast for 2018. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2018, no. 1, pp. 50–55 (in Russian).
- Matrosov A.N., Lopatin A.A., Popov N.V., Porshakov A.M., Kuznetsov A.A., Golosovskii S.M., Sintsov V.K., Mandzhieva V.S., Sandzhiev D.N. Non-specific prophylaxis of plague in the natural sandy focus of the Caspian sea region. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, no. 1 (262), pp. 30–32 (in Russian).
- Bugorkova S.A., Shchukovskaya T.N., Mikshis N.I., Shcherbakova S.A., Kudryavtseva O.M., Kuklev E.V., Dubrovina V.I., Noskov A.K. [et al.]. Scientific and methodological support of activities on carrying out immunological monitoring of vaccinated against plague persons residing in the territories of natural foci of the infection. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2018, no. 2, pp. 6–13 (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu., Kutyrev V.V., Balakhonov S.V., Ezhlova E.B., Demina Yu.V., Pakskina N.D., Shchuchinov L.V., Popov N.V. [et al.]. Coordination of measures of plague control institutions, aimed at rehabilitation and sanitation of Gorno-Altai high-mountain natural plague focus in 2016. Problemy osobo opasnykh infektsii, 2016, no. 4, pp. 5–10 (in Russian).
- Fel'dblyum I.V. Risk-management in the field of vaccine prevention as one of the directions of ensuring epidemiological and biological safety. Epidemiologiya i Vaktsinoprofilaktika, 2018, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 25–30 (in Russian).
- Movsesyants A.A. Bezopasnost' immunizatsii: riski, svyazannye s vaktsinoi [Immunization safety: risks related to vaccination]. Biopreparaty. Profilaktika, diagnostika, lechenie, 2009, no. 1–2 (33–34), pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Bridges J.F. Lean systems approaches to health technology assessment: a patient-focused alternative to cost-effectiveness analysis. PharmacoEconomics, 2006, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 101–109. DOI: 10.2165/00019053-200624002-00011
- Immunologicheskie metody [Immunologic procedures]. In: G. Frimel' ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1987, 472 p. (in Russian).
- Glants S. Mediko-biologicheskaya statistika [Medical and biological statistics]. Moscow, Praktika Publ., 1999, 334 p. (in Russian).
- Rebrova O.Yu. Statisticheskii analiz meditsinskikh dannykh. Primenenie paketa prikladnykh programm STATISTICA [Statistical analysis of medical data. Application of STATISTICA software]. Moscow, MediaSfera Publ., 2002, 70 p. (in Russian).
- Korytov K.M., Voitkova V.V., Dubrovina V.I., Pyatidesyatnikova A.B., Noskov A.K., Glushkov E.A., Akimova I.S., Ondar N.V. [et al.]. Efficiency of human plague vaccination in Tuvinian natural plague focus. Acta Biomedica Scientifica, 2019, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 31–37 (in Russian).
- Bugorkova S.A., Shchukovskaya T.N., Mikshis N.I., Klyueva S.N., Kudryavtseva O.M., Kravtsov A.L., Goncharova A.Yu., Kozhevnikov V.A. [et al.]. Comprehensive immunological study of persons vaccinated with live plague vaccine living on the territory of the pre-Caspian sand foci of the plague in the republic of Kalmykia. Epidemiologiya i Vaktsinoprofilaktika, 2018, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 38–50 (in Russian).
- Sodhi A., Tarang S., Kesherwani V. Concanavalin A induced expression of Toll-like receptors in murine peritoneal macrophages in vitro. Int Immunopharmacol, 2007, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 454–463. DOI: 10.1016/j.intimp.2006.11.014
- Korytov K.M., Voitkova V.V., Dubrovina V.I., Noskov A.K., Mishchenko A.I., Mikhailov E.P., Balakhonov S.V., Shchuchinov L.V. Immunological efficiency of human plague vaccination in the Gorno-Altai high-mountain natural plague focus. Epidemiologiya i Vaktsinoprofilaktika, 2018, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 87–97 (in Russian).
- Byvalov A.A., Dubrovin M.Yu., Elagin G.D., Pechenkin D.V., Bondarev V.P. Relationship between the level of serum rearrangement of vaccinated animals and the stress of immunity to experimental plague. Klinicheskaya laboratornaya diagnostika, 2007, no. 7, pp. 48–51 (in Russian).
- Philipovskiy A.V., Smiley S.T. Vaccination with live Yersinia pestis primes CD4 and CD8 T cells that synergistically protect against lethal pulmonary Y. pestis infection. Infection and Immunity, 2007, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 878–885. DOI: 10.1128/IAI.01529-06
- Ketlinskii S.A. Rol' T-khelperov tipov 1 i 2 v regulyatsii kletochnogo i gumoral'nogo immuniteta [Role played by type I and II T-helpers in cellular and humoral immunity regulation]. Immunologiya, 2002, no. 2, pp. 77–79 (in Russian).
- Parent M.A., Berggren K.N., Kummer L.W., Wilhelm L.B., Szaba F.M., Mullarky I.K., Smiley S.T. Cell-mediated protection against pulmonary. Yersinia pestis infection. Infect. Immun, 2005, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 7304–7310. DOI: 10.1128/IAI.73.11.7304-7310.2005
- Do Y., Didierlaurent A.M., Ryu S., Koh H., Park C.G., Park S., Perlin D.S., Powell B.S., Steinman R.M. Induction of pulmonary mucosal immune responses with a protein vaccine targeted to the DEC-205/CD205 receptor. Vaccine, 2012, vol. 30, no. 45, pp. 6359–6367. DOI: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.08.051
- L'vova I.I., Fel'dblyum I.V., Koryukina I.P., Yakovlev I.B. Programma «Vaktsinoprotektsiya» kak odin iz sposobov povysheniya effektivnosti spetsificheskoi profilaktiki difterii i kori u detei [«Vaccine-protection» program as a way to increase efficiency of specific diphtheria and measles prevention in children]. Byulleten' Vostochno-Sibirskogo nauchnogo tsentra SO RAMN, 2002, no. 4, pp. 65–68 (in Russian).