Priority risk factors related to drinking water from centralized water supply system that create negative trends in population health
S.V. Kleyn1,2, S.A. Vekovshinina1
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Perm State University, 15 Bukireva Str., Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
Our research object was long-term dynamics of parameters describing drinking water from centralized water supply systems and additional cases of health disorders among population in Russia directly caused by low-quality drinking water. Our research goal was to perform hygienic assessment of priority risk factors related to drinking water and potential health disorders that could be caused by them.
Our research technique was hygienic analysis of drinking water parameters as per data taken from the federal statistical form No. 18 entitled «Data on sanitary situation in a RF region» over 2000–2019, the federal information fund of social and hygienic monitoring over 2012–2019, and calculation of associated health disorders as per MG 5.1.0095–14.
Specific weight of centralized water supply sources that didn’t conform to sanitary-epidemiologic requirements decreased by 4.7 % over 2000–2019 and amounted to 14.9 %. Over the last 20 years there has been a descending trend in specific weight of water samples taken from centralized water supply sources that don’t conform to sanitary requirements as per sanitary-chemical parameters (by 2.7 %) and microbiological parameters (by 4.8%). Over 2000–2019, specific weight of water distribution networks not conforming to sanitary-epidemiologic requirements decreased by 10.7 % and amounted to 15.9 % in 2019.
Over the last 20 years there has been an increase in quality of drinking water taken from centralized distribution networks. Specific weight of water samples from centralized distribution networks not conforming to sanitary requirements as per microbiological and sanitary-chemical parameters fell by 6.7 % and 7.9 % respectively. In 2012–2019 in the RF hygienic parameters of drinking water quality were the most violated as per contents of bromine, silicon, chlorine, iron, sodium, lithium, magnesium, manganese, chloroform, boron, strontium, sulfides, and hydrogen sulphide.
Overall, in the RF in 2019 more than 1.66 million cases of digestive diseases, cardiovascular diseases, diseases of skin and subcutaneous tissue, and other health disorders were directly related to drinking water being contaminated with chemicals and microbiological agents; it was by 13.3 % lower than in 2012 regarding morbidity associated with drinking water quality. Priority risk factors were chlorine, chlorine organic compounds (COC), ammonia, iron, manganese, arsenic, nickel, copper, boron, magnesium, and other compounds.
- Water sanitation hygiene. Water safety and quality. World Health Organization. Available at: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/water-quality/en/ (03.08.2020).
- Water sanitation hygiene. Diseases and risks. World Health Organization. Available at: https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/diseases-risks/en/ (03.08.2020).
- Voprosy zdravookhraneniya. Voda [Healthcare issues. Water]. World Health Organization. Available at: https://www.who.int/topics/water/ru/ (03.08.2020) (in Russian).
- Detail. Drinking-water. World Health Organization. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/drinking-water (03.08.2020).
- Vsemirnyi doklad Organizatsii Ob"edinennykh Natsii o sostoyanii vodnykh resursov, 2019 g.: Ne ostavlyaya nikogo v storone [The United Nations world water development report 2019: leaving no one behind, executive summary]. UNESDOC. Tsifrovaya Biblioteka. Available at: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000367303_rus (03.08.2020) (in Russian).
- Gorbanev S.A., Eremin G.B., Novikova Yu.A., Vyucheiskaya D.S. Federal project «Clean water». First results. Zdorov'e – osnova chelovecheskogo potentsiala: problemy i puti ikh resheniya, 2019, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 252–259 (in Russian).
- Bartram J., Corrales L., Davison A., Deere D., Drury D., Gordon B., Howard G., Rinehold A., Stevens M. Rukovodstvo po razrabotke i realizatsii plana obespecheniya bezopasnosti vody. Poshagovoe upravlenie riskami dlya postavshchikov pit'evoi vody [Guide on developing and implementing a program for providing water safety. Step-by-step guide to managing risks for drinking water suppliers]. Kopengagen, Evropeiskoe regional'noe byuro VOZ Publ., 2011, 108 p. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kleyn S.V., Sedusova E.V. An experience of establishing and proving of harm to the public health caused by consumption of drinking water containing hyperchlorination products. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, vol. 12, no. 273, pp. 16–18 (in Russian).
- May I.V., Kleyn S.V., Sedusova E.V. To the question of the procedure of sanitary and epidemiological investigation of the infriengement of citizens' rights for safe drinking water supply. Zdorov'e sem'i – 21 vek, 2012, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 11 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Kleyn S.V. Estimation of risk to health of the population at impact of water peroral factor of inhabitancy in conditions of large industrial centre for problems of socially-hygienic monitoring (on example of perm). Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk, 2009, vol. 11, no. 1–6, pp. 1139–1143 (in Russian).
- Anisimov I.S., Mal'kova I.L. Sub-standard underground drinking waters of the Kezsky district of the Udmurt republic as a risk factor to the population health. Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. Seriya Biologiya. Nauki o Zemle, 2018, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 384–391 (in Russian).
- Baidakova E.V., Unguryanu T.N., Krutskaya K.V., Minenko I.A. Quality of drinking water and epidemic risk of water-born infections in towns of the Arkhangelsk region. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2019, no. 5, pp. 15–20 (in Russian).
- Orlov E.V. Quality of main water in residential units of Shchelkovsky district of the Moscow region. Stroitel'stvo: nauka i obrazovanie, 2017, vol. 7, no. 4 (25), pp. 31–37 (in Russian).
- Sokrutina T.A. Ecological and hygienic assessment of drinking water quality. Epomen, 2018, no. 13, pp. 128–134 (in Russian).
- Nefedova E.D., Khyamyalyainen M.M., Kovzharovskaya I.B., Shevchik G.V. Risk-oriented approach to the arrangement of drinking water quality control. Vodosnabzhenie i sanitarnaya tekhnika, 2018, no. 3, pp. 5–9 (in Russian).
- Stepanova N.V., Fomina S.F. Sovremennye metody otsenki regional'nykh faktorov riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya [Contemporary procedures for assessing regional health risk factors]. Innovatsionnye podkhody v nauke i obrazovanii: teoriya, metodologiya, praktika: monografiya. In: G.Yu. Gulyaev ed. Penza, 2017, pp. 192–203 (in Russian).
- Kharina G.V., Aleshina L.V. Assessment of the Sverdlovsk oblast drinking water pollution with heavy metals. Vodnoe khozyaistvo Rossii: problemy, tekhnologii, upravlenie, 2020, no. 1, pp. 124–134 (in Russian).
- Abramkin A.V., Rakhmanov R.S. To the question about the quality of drinking water system of centralized drinking water supply of republic of Mordovia. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2017, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. 41–43 (in Russian).
- Akaizina A.E. Pokazateli kachestva vody tsentralizovannoi sistemy pit'evogo vodosnabzheniya i otsenka riska zdorov'yu detei [Quality parameters of drinking water taken from drinking water supply systems and assessment of risks for children’s health]. Fundamental'nye i prikladnye aspekty analiza riska zdorov'yu naseleniya: materialy vserossiiskoi nauchnoprakticheskoi internet-konferentsii molodykh uchenykh i spetsialistov Rospotrebnadzora. In: A.Yu Popova, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Perm, Moscow, 2017, pp. 7–14 (in Russian).
- Sereda T.I., Beregovskaya T.A. Sravnitel'naya otsenka kachestva vody tsentralizovannoi i netsentralizovannoi sistem pit'evogo vodosnabzheniya [Drinking water from centralized and non-centralized water supply systems: comparative assessment of quality]. Sovremennye kontseptsii razvitiya nauki: sbornik statei mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, Perm, 2018, pp. 186 (in Russian).
- Kokoricheva L.V., Manyk F.M. Volnoobuslovlennaya zabolevaemost', v Severo-Zapadnom Federal'nom okruge zavisyashchaya ot kachestva potreblyaemoi mineral'noi vody [Wave-like morbidity in the North-West Federal District dependent on quality of consumed mineral water]. Byulleten' Severnogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta, 2019, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 55–57 (in Russian).
- Valeev T.K., Suleimanov R.A., Baktybaeva Z.B., Egorova N.N., Daukaev R.A., Rakhmatullin N.R. Ecologicalhygienic assessment of the risk to public health of the republic of Bashkortostan, due to the quality of drinking water. Bezopasnost' zhiznedeyatel'nosti, 2017, vol. 203, no. 11, pp. 57–64 (in Russian).
- Fridman K.B., Novikova Yu.A., Belkin A.S. On the issue of the use of health risk assessment techniques for hygienic characteristics of water supply systems. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 686–689 (in Russian).
- Kiku P.F., Kislitsyna L.V., Bogdanova V.D., Sabirova K.M. Hygienic evaluation of the quality of drinking water and risks for the health of the population of the Primorye territory. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 94–101 (in Russian).
- Kamenetskaya D.M., Popova A.A. Vliyanie sostava vody na zdorov'e naseleniya razlichnykh sub"ektov Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Effects produced by water composition on population health in different RF regions]. Byulleten' meditsinskikh internet-konferentsii, 2017, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1135 (in Russian).
- Kovshov A.A., Novikova Yu.A., Fedorov V.N., Tikhonova N.A. Diseases risk assessment associated with the quality of drinking water in the urban districts of Russian Arctic. Vestnik Ural'skoi meditsinskoi akademicheskoi nauki, 2019, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 215–222 (in Russian).
- Solov'ev D.A., Dement'ev A.A., Lyapkalo A.A., Klyuchnikova N.M. Characteristic of drinking water quality and its influence on the health condition of population of some districts of the Ryazan region. Nauchno-meditsinskii vestnik Tsentral'nogo Chernozem'ya, 2019, no. 77, pp. 54–60 (in Russian).
- Mekhant'ev I.I. Health risks for the population of the Voronezh region related to drinking water quality. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2020, vol. 325, no. 4, pp. 37–42 (in Russian).
- Sinoda V.A., Zhmakin I.A., Kudrich L.A., Vasil'ev P.V., Kolesnik P.A., Al'-Gal'ban L.N., Markina A.D., Panasenko A.S. Condition of drinking water of systems of centralized and non-centralized economic and drinking water supply – an important factor of the habitat population of the personnel of the Tversk region. Tverskoi meditsinskii zhurnal, 2019, no. 5, pp. 7–17 (in Russian).
- Poluyanov V.P., Poluyanova E.I. Tsentralizovannoe vodosnabzhenie i zabolevaemost' naseleniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Centralized water supply and population morbidity in the RF]. Aktual'nye voprosy ekonomiki i upravleniya: teoreticheskie i prikladnye aspekty: materialy chetvertoi mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, Rostov-on-Don, 2019, pp. 616–622 (in Russian).
- Abramkin A.V. The question of biogeochemical provinces and hygienic drinking water quality assessment. Sciences of Europe, 2016, vol. 8, no. 8–1, pp. 18–22 (in Russian).
- Mukhamedova N.S., Maksudova N.A., Radzhabova N.A. K voprosu obespecheniya naseleniya Kashkadar'inskoi oblasti bezopasnoi pit'evoi vodoi [On an issue related to providing people living in Kaliningrad region with safe drinking water]. Vestnik nauki i obrazovaniya, 2016, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 72–76 (in Russian).