Developing methodical approaches to substantiating average annual maximum permissible concentrations of hazardous substances in ambient air in settlements as per acceptable health risk
N.V. Zaitseva, P.Z. Shur, K.V. Chetverkina, A.A. Khasanova
Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
A methodological basis for providing chemical safety for population is obtained via fixing safe concentrations of hazardous substances, including those in ambient air, as it allows absence of unacceptable risks for people’s life and health. In the Russian Federation average daily maximum permissible concentrations (MPC av.d.) are applied to prevent chronic effects on human health produced by hazardous substances that are present in ambient air. But in world practice it is conventional to apply average annual concentrations when assessing chronic exposure to hazardous substances as it allows applying existing acceptable health risks as assessment criteria. We propose an algorithm for substantiating average annual MPC of chemicals in ambient air as per health risks criteria; the algorithm is harmonized with international approaches and takes into accounts research results taken from previous research works that have been published in relevant scientific sources. The algorithm also involves accomplishing toxicological and/or epidemiologic examinations solely aimed at obtaining missing data. The proposed algorithm envisages selecting starting points for substantiating a hygienic standard and uncertaintyfactors. Proposed methodical approaches have a distinctive feature that is verification of obtained standards as per
acceptable (permissible) carcinogenic risk criteria and assessment of safety under exposure equal to MPC av.an. during the whole life span. Development and implementation of average annual maximum permissible concentrations of hazardous substances in ambient air will promote harmonization of the domestic regulatory base with hygienic standards and norms accepted in world practice.
- Fact sheets on sustainable development goals: health targets. Air quality and health. World Health Organization, 2018. Available at: https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/385959/fs-sdg-3-9-a... (02.07.2020).
- Ambient air pollution. Global health Observatory (GHO) data. World Health Organization, 2016. Available at: https://www.who.int/gho/phe/outdoor_air_pollution/en/ (15.06.2020).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A. Actualization of methodological problems of reglamentation of chemical pollutions on the environment. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 701–707 (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu. A., Novikov S.M., Rumyantsev G.I. Ways of improving the methodology of the risk of environmental factors to human health. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2006, no. 2, pp. 3–5 (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu., Gurvich V.B., Kuz'min S.V., Orlov M.S. The paradigm of the development of the regulatory and methodological framework aimed to maintain sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 1226–1230 (in Russian).
- Rakitskii V.N., Avaliani S.L., Shashina T.A., Dodina N.S. Actual problems of population health risks management in Russia. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 572–575 (in Russian).
- Avaliani S.L., Novikov S.M., Shashina T.A., Skvortsova N.S., Kislitsin V.A., Mishina A.L. Problems and ways of solutions to harmonize standards for air pollution. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 75–78 (in Russian).
- Sinitsyna O.O., Zholdakova Z.I., Kharchevnikova N.V. Nauchnye osnovy edinogo ekologo-gigienicheskogo normirovaniya khimicheskikh veshchestv v okruzhayushchei srede [Scientific grounds for unified ecological and hygienic standardization of chemicals in the environment]. Itogi i perspektivy nauchnykh issledovanii po probleme ekologii cheloveka i gigieny okruzhayushchei sredy. In: Yu.A. Rakhmanin ed. Moscow, Nauchno-issledovatel'skii institut ekologii cheloveka i gigieny okruzhayushchei sredy im. A.N. Sysina Publ., 2001, pp. 106–123 (in Russian).
- Air Quality Standards. European Commission, 2019. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/quality/standards.htm (25.07.2020).
- National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). United States Environmental Protection Agency, 2016. Available at: https://www.epa.gov/criteria-air-pollutants/naaqs-table (25.07.2020).
- Zvyagintseva A.V. Sistemy otsenki opasnosti pri zagryaznenii atmosfernogo vozdukha: popytka obobshcheniya podkhodov [Systems for estimating hazards caused by ambient air pollution: an attempt to generalize approaches]. Sistemnyi analiz i informatsionnye tekhnologii v nauke o prirode i obshchestve, 2014, no. 1, pp. 131–163 (in Russian).
- Castorina R., Woodruff T.J. Assessment of potential risk levels associated with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reference values. Environ. Health Perspect, 2003, vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 1318–1325. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.6185
- Minimal Risk Levels (MRLs) for Hazardous Substances. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 2018. Available at: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mrls/index.html (18.07.2020).
- Zaitseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., Onishchenko G.G., May I.V. Current problems of regulatory and scientific-medical support for the assurance of the sanitary and epidemiological welfare of population in the Russian Federation as the strategic government task. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 5–9 (in Russian).
- Gurvich V.B., Kuz'min S.V., Dikonskaya O.V., Gileva M.A., Boyarskii A.P. Methodical approaches, experience and perspectives of the implementation of the risk model of surveillance activities in the sphere of the assurance of sanitary and epidemiological welfare of population, population’s health risk management and the consumer rights protection. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 104–108 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., May I.V., Shur P.Z. Methods and technologies of health risk analysis in the system of state management under assurance of the sanitation and epidemiological welfare of population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 93–98 (in Russian).
- Andreeva E.E., Ivanenko A.V., Siliverstov V.A., Sudakova E.V. Application of methodology for the assessment of risk for public health from harmful environmental factors in the practice activity of the office of service for supervision of consumer rights protection and human welfare in the city of Moscow. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 219–222 (in Russian).
- Harmonization Project Document, No. 2. Chemical-specific adjustment factors for interspecies differences and human variability: guidance document for use of data in dose/concentration–response assessment. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2005, 100 р.
- Principles and methods for the risk assessment of chemicals in food: Environmental Health Criteria 240. Chapter 5. Dose-response assessment and derivation of health-based guidance values. Geneva, World Health Organization Publ., 2009, 64 р.
- A Review of the Reference Dose and Reference Concentration Processes. Reference Dose/Reference Concentration (RfD/RfC) Technical Panel (Final report. EPA/630/P-02/002F). Washington, DC, Risk Assessment Forum, U.S.EPA Publ., 2002, 192 p.
- Methods for Derivation of Inhalation Reference Concentrations and Application of Inhalation Dosimetry. Triangle Park, North Carolina: Environmental Criteria and Assessment Office; Office of Health and Environmental Assessment; Office of Research and Development U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Research Publ., 1994, 389 p.
- Review of EPA's Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) Process. Washington, DC, The National Academies Press Publ., 2014, 171р.
- Uncertainty factors: Their use in human health risk assessment by UK Government. UK, Institute for Environment and Health Publ., 2003, 73 p.
- Avaliani S.L., Mishina A.L. Harmonization of approaches to management of air quality. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2011, vol. 216, no. 3, pp. 44–48 (in Russian).
- Analiz riska zdorov'yu v strategii gosudarstvennogo sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya: monografiya [Health risk analysis in the strategy for state social and economic development: a monograph]. In: G.G. Onishchenko, N.V. Zaitseva [et al.] eds. Moscow, Perm', Izdatel'stvo Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta Publ., 2014, 738 p. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Shur P.Z., Atiskova N.G., Sharaeva A.A., Romanenko K.V., Fokin V.A. Methodological approaches to the substantiation of a harmonized mean year maximum permissible nickel concentration in ambient air. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 108–111 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Shur P.Z., Zemlyanova M.A., Atiskova N.G., Khasanova A.A., Romanenko K.V., Fokin V.A., Masunina D.L. Methodological approaches to the development or hygienic standards using health risk criteria and their application in the case of ambient air manganese. Health Risk Analysis, 2014, no. 1, pp. 14–20. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2014.1.02.eng