Up-to-date techniques for examining safety and physiological efficiency of industrial exoskeletons
A.M. Geregei1, E.S. Shitova1, I.S. Malakhova1, E.S. Shuporin1, E.V. Bondaruk1, A.R. Efimov2,3, V.Kh. Takh2
1Izmerov's Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31 Budennogo Ave., Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
2Public Joint Stock Company «Sberbank of Russia», 19 Vavilova Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation
3National University of Science and Technology «MISIS», 4 Leninskii Ave., Moscow, 119049, Russian Federation
Occupational morbidity caused by physical overloads and certain organs and systems being overstrained ranks second among occupational pathologies depending on an influencing adverse occupational factor. Given that, it seems vital and promising to develop industrial exoskeletons as they are able to protect a worker’s musculoskeletal system from excessive physical loads. And absence of a relative regulatory and technologic base is a challenge here as it imposes substantial limitations on industrial exoskeletons implementation in productions both in Russia and in other countries.
A significant role in creating regulatory and technological base belongs to a possibility to accomplish an objective medical and biological examination of industrial exoskeletons safety and physiological efficiency. Developed and properly tested procedures for examining physiological and ergonomic properties of industrial exoskeletons will make a substantial contribution into a system of complex ergonomic tests accomplished at stages when exoskeletons are developed, created, and put into trial operation. The present paper dwells on up-to-date medical and biological procedures for examining safety and physiological efficiency of industrial exoskeletons. There are examples on using a «movement seizure» procedure performed with inertial sensors, ergospirometry, electromyography, and myotonometry for estimating physiological and ergonomic properties of industrial exoskeletons at a modeled working place.
Results obtained via this research involving all the above mentioned procedures confirmed that it was safe and quite efficient to apply industrial exoskeletons for workers who had to deal with physical labor when performing work tasks similar to those used in developed models. Applied procedures can substantially enhance approaches to examining a worker’s functional state and obtained results will make a significant contribution into development of a regulatory and technological base for promising individual protection means used to protect the musculoskeletal system within the existing System of occupational safety standards.
- Lowe B.D., Billotte W.G., Peterson D.R. ASTM F48 Formation and Standards for Industrial Exoskeletons and Exosuits. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 2019, vol. 7, no. 3–4, pp. 7. DOI: 10.1080/24725838.2019.1579769
- Ford rolls out exoskeleton wearable technology globally to help lessen worker fatigue, injury. Ford media center, 2018. Available at: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/08/07/ford-...
- Honda Xcelerator to Debut Industrial Innovation Collaborations at CES 2020 Along with New Technologies Coming Soon to Market. Honda. The Power of Dreams, 2019. Available at: https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corporate/releases/release-
- Hyundai Develops Wearable Vest Exoskeleton for overhead work. Hyundai Motor Europe, 2019. Available at: https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/hyundai-develops-wearable-vest-exoskel... (08.06.2020).
- White Paper: Hip Exoskeleton Market – Review of Lift Assist Wearables. Industry News & Education, 2018. Available at: http://www.wearablerobotics.com/industry-news-education/ (08.06.2020).
- Dospekhi dlya rabochego [Armor for a worker]. Kommersant", 2019. Available at: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4088692 (08.06.2020) (in Russian).
- Anikienko E. Magnitogortsy pokazali ekzoskelet na Nedele mody v Moskve [Experts from Magnitogorsk showed an exoskeleton ay fashion Week in Moscow]. Yuzhnoural'skaya panorama, 2019. Available at: http://up74.ru/articles/news/115137/ (08.06.2020) (in Russian).
- Kolerova V. Ekzoskelety medlenno idut v tsekha [Exoskeletons are being introduced in workshops, though rather slowly]. Ekspert, 2018, no. 29. Available at: https://expert.ru/expert/2018/29/ekzoskeletyi-medlenno-idut-v-tseha/ (08.06.2020) (in Russian).
- Priobretenie 30 ekzoskeletov Exorise [Purchase of 30 Exorise exoskeletons]. Tadviser, 2019. Available at: http://www.tadviser.ru/index.php/Проект:Череповецкийметаллургическийкомбинат(ЧерМК)(Экзоскелеты_Exorise) (08.06.2020) (in Russian).
- Schmalz T., J. Schändlinger, Schuler M., Bornmann J. Biomechanical and Metabolic Effectiveness of an Industrial Exoskeleton for Overhead Work. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2019, vol. 16, no. 23, pp. 4792. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16234792
- Maurice P., Čamernik J., Gorjan D., Schirrmeister B., Bornmann J., Tagliapietra L., Latella C., Pucci D. [et al.]. Objective and Subjective Effects of a Passive Exoskeleton on Overhead Work. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2020, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 152–164. DOI: 10.1109/TNSRE.2019.2945368
- Grimmer M., Quinlivan B.T., Lee S., Malcolm P., Rossi D.M., Siviy C., Walsh C.J. Comparison of the human-exosuit interaction using ankle moment and ankle positive power inspired walking assistance. Journal of Biomechanics, 2019, vol. 83, no. 23, pp. 76–84. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.11.023
- Bosch T., Eck J., Knitel K., Looze M. The effects of a passive exoskeleton on muscle activity, discomfort and endurance time in forward bending work. Applied Ergonomics, 2016 vol. 54, pp. 212–217. DOI: 10.1016/j.apergo.2015.12.003
- Masood J., Dacal-Nieto A., Alonso-Ramos V., Fontano M.I., Voilqué A., Bou J. Industrial Wearable Exoskeletons and Exosuits Assessment Process. Wearable Robotics: Challenges and Trends, vol. 22, pp. 234–238. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01887-0_45
- Chen G., Wu J., Chen G., Lu Y., Ren W., Xu W., Xu X., Wu Z. [et al.]. Reliability of a portable device for quantifying tone and stiffness of quadriceps femoris and patellar tendon at different knee flexion angles. PLoS ONE, 2019, vol. 14, no. 7. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0220521
- Lo W.L.A., Yu Q., Mao Y., Li W., Hu Ch., Li L. Lumbar muscles biomechanical characteristics in young people with chronic spinal pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord, 2019, vol. 23, no. 20 (1), pp. 559. DOI: 10.1186/s12891-019-2935-z
- Skvortsov D.V. Diagnostika dvigatel'noi patologii instrumental'nymi metodami: analiz pokhodki, stabilometriya: monografiya [Motor pathology diagnostics with instrumental procedures: gait analysis and stabilometry: a monograph]. Moscow, Nauchno-meditsinskaya firma «MBN» Publ., 2007, 640 p. (in Russian).
- Gamza N.A., Grin' G.R., Zhukova T.V. Funktsional'nye proby v sportivnoi meditsine [Functional tests in sport medicine]. Minsk, Belorusskii gosudarstvennyi universitet fizicheskoi kul'tury Publ., 2012, 57 p. (in Russian).