Influence exerted by somatic pathology on risks of occupational lung fibrosis in workers employed at refractory production
T.Yu. Obukhova1, L.N. Budkar'1, V.B. Gurvich1, S.I. Solodushkin2, O.G. Shmonina1, E.A. Karpova1
1Ekaterinburg Medical Research Center for Prophylaxis and Health Care in Industrial Workers, 12 Moskovskaya Str., Ekaterinburg, 620014, Russian Federation
2Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, 51 Lenina Ave., Ekaterinburg, 620075, Russian Federation
Occupational lungs and bronchial pathology occurs not only under exposure to dusts, their aerosol structure and aggression, but also depends on individual properties of a body. The latter can determine either increased body resistance or susceptibility to occupational pathology occurrence.
Our research goal was to determine influence exerted by somatic pathology on occupational lung fibrosis occurrence as well as to estimate prevalence of risk factors for cardiovascular and metabolic pathology occurrence in workers employed at refractory production.
At the first stage 449 workers employed at refractory production were examined at a periodical medical examination (PME). Patients’ average age was 41.59±0.45 and average work experience was 14.47±0.39 years. At the second stage 172 workers
were examined at an occupational pathology center; 75 out of them were workers who had silicosis and were included into the test group and the remaining 97 workers didn’t have any occupational pathology and were included into the reference group. Both
groups were comparable as per sex (p = 0.0052) and work experience under exposure to dusts (р = 0.862).
Workers examined at a PME most frequently had overweight and obesity (68 %). Arterial hypertension (AH) prevalence amounted to 19.5%; carbohydrate metabolism disorders, 19.8 %; 48.1 % workers had hypercholesterolemia. Patients with silicosis had certain disorders significantly more frequently than workers with long work experience but without any occupational pathologies; those disorders were AH, cardiac muscle hypertrophy in the left ventricle, ischemic heart disease, heart rate disorders, as well as mixed (obstructive and restrictive) breath mechanics disorders. We determined some factors that authentically produced certain effects on occupational lung fibrosis occurrence in workers employed at refractory production. Median time of silicosis occurrence was significantly shorter (by 11.5 years) among workers with severe AH, arrhythmia (by 13 years), lower hemoglobin in blood (by 11.5 years). Besides, silicosis occurred significantly earlier (by 10.8) among women than among men.
- Shpagina L.A., Poteryaeva E.L., Kotova O.S., Shpagin I.S., Smirnova E.L. Topical problems of pulmonology in contemporary occupational medicine. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2015, no. 9, pp. 11–14 (in Russian).
- Velichkovskii B.T. Ekologicheskaya pul'monologiya. Rol' svobodnoradikal'nykh protsessov [Ecologic pulmonology. Role played by free radical processes]. Ekaterinburg, 2003, 140 p. (in Russian).
- Kuz'mina L.P. Biochemical and molecular mechanisms of occurrence of occupational bronchopulmonary pathology. Pul'monologiya, 2008, no. 4, pp. 107–110 (in Russian).
- Velichkovskii B.T. Pathogenesis and classification of dust diseases. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2003, no. 7, pp. 1–13 (in Russian).
- Bugaeva M.S., Mikhailova N.N., Bondarev O.I., Zhdanova N.N. Peculiarities of the structural collagen disorganization as a trigger mechanism of pneumosclerosis in miners. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2018, no. 6, pp. 43–48 (in Russian).
- Loshchilov Yu.A. Clinical morphology of pneumoconiosis. Arkhiv patologii, 1998, no. 2, pp. 5–31 (in Russian).
- Loshchilov Yu.A. Contemporary clinical morphology methods in occupational pulmonology. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2008, no. 9, pp. 1–5 (in Russian).
- Mikhailova N.N., Sazontova T.G., Alekhina D.A., Kazitskaya A.S., Zhdanova N.N., Prokop'ev Yu.A., Zhukova A.G. Features of intracellular protective mechanisms under the action of various xenobiotics on the body. Tsitokiny i vospalenie, 2013, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 71–75 (in Russian).
- Vallyathan V., Goins M., Leroy N.L., Pack D., Leonard S., Shi X. Changes in bronchoalveolar lavage indices associated with radiographic classification in coal miners. Am. J. Respiratory and Critical Care Med, 2000, vol. 162, pp. 958–965. DOI: 10.1164/ajrccm.162.3.9909074
- Shkurupii V.A., Nadev A.P., Karpov M.A. Evaluation of destructive and reparative processes in the liver in experimental chronic granulomatosis of mixed (silicotic and tuberculous) etiology. Byulleten' eksperimental'noi biologii i meditsiny, 2010, no. 6, pp. 622–626 (in Russian).
- Ghahramani N. Silica nephropathy. Int. J. Occup. Environm. Med, 2010, vol. 1, pp. 108–115 (in Russian).
- Cherkasova N.G., Kirilin A.V. Predicting the risk of development of occupational diseases among workers of LLC «LPZ Segal». Aktual'nye problemy aviatsii i kosmonavtiki, 2017, vol. 2, no. 13, pp. 710–712 (in Russian).
- Shal'nova S.A., Deev A.D., Balanova Yu.A. Kapustina A.V., Imaeva A.E., Muromtseva G.A., Kiseleva N.V., Boitsov S.A. Twenty years trends of obesity and arterial hypertension and their association in Russia. Kardiovaskulyarnaya terapiya i profilaktika, 2017, no. 4, pp. 4–10 (in Russian).
- Dedov I.I., Shestakova M.V., Galstyan G.R. The prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in the adult population of Russia (NATION study). Sakharnyi diabet, 2016, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 104–112 (in Russian). DOI: 10.14341/DM2004116-17
- Rotar O.B., Boyarinova M., Orlov A., Solntsev V., Zhernakova Y., Shalnova S., Deev A., Konradi A. [et al.]. Metabolically healthy obese and metabolically unhealthy non-obese phenotypes in a Russian population. Eur. J. Epidemiol, 2017, vol. 3, pp. 251–254. DOI: 10.1007/s10654-016-0221-z
- Catapano A.L., Graham I., De Backer G. 2016 ESC/EAS. Guidelines for the Management of Dyslipidaemias. Task Force Members; Additional Contributor. Eur. Heart J., 2016, vol. 37, no. 39, pp. 2999–3058. DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehw272
- Byuyul' A., Tsefel' P. SPSS: iskusstvo obrabotki informatsii. Analiz statisticheskikh dannykh i vosstanovlenie skrytykh zakonomernostei [SPSS: an art of information processing. Statistical data analysis and hidden regularities recovery]. SPb., OOO «DiaSoftYuP» Publ., 2002, 608 p. (in Russian).
- Byuyul' A., Tsefel' P. Metody SPSS dlya issledovaniya rynka i mnenii [SPSS techniques for market and opinion research]. Myunkhen, 2000, 608 p. (in Russian).
- Akhmedzhanov N.M., Nebieridze D.V., Safaryan A.S., Vygodin V.A., Shuraev A.Yu., Tkacheva O.N., Lishuta A.S. Analysis of hypercholesterolemia prevalence in the outpatient practice (according to the argo study): part I. Ratsional'naya farmakoterapiya v kardiologii, 2015, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 253–260 (in Russian).
- Katsnel'son B.A., Alekseeva O.G., Privalova L.I., Polzik E.V. Pnevmokoniozy: patogenez i biologicheskaya profilaktika [Pneumoconiosis: pathogenesis and biological prevention]. Ekaterinburg, 1995, 327 p. (in Russian).