Hygienic assessment of contribution made by cooling meteorological factors into occupational risks of health disorders for workers who have to work outdoors in cold season
E.M. Polyakova1,2, A.V. Mel'tser1, V.P. Chashchin1,2, N.V. Erastova1
1North-Western State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov, 41 Kirochnaya Str., Saint Petersburg, 195067, Russian Federation
2North-West Scientific Center for Hygiene and Public Health, 4 2 Sovetskaya Str., Saint Petersburg, 191036, Russian Federation
Effects produced by hazardous occupational factors on workers employed in oil extraction often occur under low temperatures when workers have to perform their tasks outdoors.
Our research goal was to assess a contribution made by cooling meteorological factors into health risks for workers performing their job tasks outdoors during a cold season in order to substantiate priority prevention activities.
The research was performed on workers employed by a large oil extracting company who spent different amount of time outdoors during a cold season. A posteriori group risk was assessed according to the Guide as per results obtained via periodical medical examinations in 2017–2018. Working conditions were assessed basing on a report obtained via special assessment of working conditions and industrial control results. Cooling microclimate was assessed according to G 2.2.2006-05.
Basing on the results of a priori group risk assessment, work places were ranked as per health disorders probability. It was shown that in-plant noise was the leading factor causing health risks. Besides, when working experience exceeded 20 years, cooling meteorological conditions also made a substantial contribution into risks occurrence.
Obtained results indicate that it is necessary to develop medical and prevention activities for workers who have to spend a lot of time outdoors in areas with cold climatic conditions.
- Zaitseva N.V., Popova A.Yu., May I.V., Shur P.Z. Methods and technologies of health risk analysis in the system of state management under assurance of the sanitation and epidemiological welfare of population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 93–98 (in Russian).
- Shlyapnikov D.M., Shur P.Z., Alekseev V.B., Lebedeva T.M., Kostarev V.G. Methodological approaches to the integrated evaluation of the exposure and length of service in the occupational risk assessment. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Mel'tser A.V., Erastova N.V., Kiselev A.V. Gigienicheskoe obosnovanie modelei kolichestvennoi otsenki apriornogo professional'nogo riska [Hygienic substantiation for models showing quantitative assessment of a priori occupational risks]. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2020, no. 3, pp. 12–20 (in Russian).
- Krasovskii V.O. Algorithms of quantitative assessment of professional risks in occupational health. Norwegian Journal of development of the International Science, 2020, no. 38, pp. 28–32 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V. Current state and main directions of preservation and strengthening of health of the working population of Russia. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2019, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 527–532 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Denisov E.I., Lagutina G.N., Pfaf V.F., Chesalin P.V. Сriteria and algorithms of workrelatedness assessment of workers'' health disorders. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2018, no. 8, pp. 4–12 (in Russian).
- Simonova N.I., Nizyaeva I.V., Nazarov S.G., Zhuravleva E.A., Kondrova N.S., Stepanov E.G., Fasikov R.M., Grigor'eva S.M. [et al.]. Comparative analysis of occupational risk evaluation results through various methodic approaches. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2012, no. 1, pp. 13–19 (in Russian).
- Kurenkova G.V., Sudeikina N.A., Lemeshevskaya E.P. Methodical aspects of hygienic assessment of occupational risk to health workers. Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal (Irkutsk), 2015, no. 7, pp. 46–52 (in Russian).
- Bakirov A.B., Gimranova G.G. Priority areas of science in extraction of oil, petroleum refining, petrochemical industry. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2016, no. 3, pp. 5–10 (in Russian).
- Karimova L.K., Kaptsov V.A., Salimgareeva T.M., Mavrina L.N., Gimaeva Z.F., Beigul N.A. Health risk assessment of violations of workers of enterprises of fuel and energy complex. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2017, vol. 289, no. 4, pp. 25–30 (in Russian).
- Rakhmanov R.S., Gadzhiibragimov D.A., Bakhmudov G.G., Alikberov M.Kh., Tarasov A.V. On the evaluation of working conditions in open area in the winter season. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 424–427 (in Russian).
- Mel'tser A.V., Polyakova E.M. Assessment of the combined professional risk working in open territory in the cold period of the year. Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 2019, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 4–12 (in Russian).
- Patologiya cheloveka na Severe [Human pathologies in the North]. In: A.P. Avtsyn, A.A. Zhavoronkov, A.G. Marachev, A.P. Milovanov eds. Moscow, 1985, 416 p. (in Russian).
- Agadzhanyan N.A., Petrova P.G. Chelovek v usloviyakh Severa [A man in the North]. Moscow, KRUK Publ., 1996, 208 p. (in Russian).
- Buganov A.A., Salamatina L.V., Umanskaya E.L. Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in various occupational groups of far north. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2003, no. 2, pp. 1–6 (in Russian).
- Karpin V.A. Medico-ecological monitoring of cardiovascular diseases in the urbanized north. Kardiologiya, 2003, no. 1, pp. 51–54 (in Russian).
- Turchinskii V.I. Ishemicheskaya bolezn' serdtsa na Krainem Severe [Ischemic heart disease in the Arctic regions]. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 1980, 280 p. (in Russian).
- Kaznacheev V.P. Biosistema i adaptatsiya [Biosystem and adaptation]. Novosibirsk, Sovetskaya Sibir' Publ., 1993, 76 p. (in Russian).
- Tkachev A.V., Klyarkina I.M. Sovremennye predstavleniya o vliyanii klimata Severa na endokrinnuyu sistemu cheloveka [Contemporary concepts of impacts exerted on the endocrine system by climatic conditions in the North]. Fiziologicheskie zakonomernosti gormonal'nykh, metabolicheskikh, immunologicheskikh izmenenii cheloveka na Evropeiskom Severe. Syktyvkar, 1997, pp. 6–17 (in Russian).