Assessing occupational risks for workers employed at heat-power engineering enterprises
M.V. Kuleshova, V.A. Pankov
East-Siberian Institute of Medical and Ecological Research, 12 a the 3rd micro-district, Angarsk, 665827, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to assess occupational health risks and analyze whether it was possible to assess occupational risks for workers employed at heat-power engineering enterprises applying the same procedures as those used in the our research.
Our research involved basic occupational groups of workers employed at a heat-power engineering enterprise. They were power generating unit drivers, repairmen, and electricians responsible for electric machinery repair and maintenance. Hygienic assessment of working conditions was performed according to the valid regulatory and methodical documents. Occupational morbidity was analyzed on the basis of data arrays that contained data taken from Reports on occupational diseases (intoxications). Occupational risks were assessed as per Fine Kinney risk assessment method, matrix method, and Guide R 2.2.1766-2003; we also performed a semi-quantitative risk assessment.
Labor performed by power generating unit drivers belonged to 3.2 hazard category as per related hazards, its hardness, and intensity; repairmen, 3.3 hazard category; electricians responsible for electrical machinery repair and maintenance, 3.3 hazard category. Occupational morbidity among workers employed at enterprises dealing with energy production and distribution in Irkutsk region was analyzed over 2000–2018; the analysis revealed there was a decrease in first diagnosed occupational diseases and the most frequent nosology was sensorineural hearing loss. Occupational risk assessment performed as per different procedures indicates that obtained results are rather ambiguous. Semi-quantitative risk assessment, Finn Kinney method, and the “Finnish” model turned out to be subjective but it is still possible to apply them provided that it is done by highly qualified experts in the sphere of labor safety and occupational risks management. The most objective risk assessment procedure allows assessing probability of damage to health applying parameters that describe deviations in adverse or hazardous occupational factors from maximum permissible concentrations and levels and a cause-and effect relation with risk (Guide G 2.2.1766-03).
- Levashov S.P., Shkrabak V.S. Professional'nyi risk: metodologiya monitoring i analiza [Occupational risk: monitoring and analysis methodology]. Kurgan, Izdatel'stvo Kurganskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta Publ., 2015, 308 p. (in Russian).
- Kokangül A., Polat U., Dag˘suyu C. A new approximation for risk assessment using the AHP and Fine Kinney method-ologies. Safety Science, 2017, no. 91, pp. 24–32. DOI: 10.1016/j.ssci.2016.07.015
- Sait Mezhdunarodnoi organizatsii truda [The World Health Organization official web-site]. Available at: https://
www.ilo.org/moscow/areas-of-work/occupational-safety-and-health/WCMS_249... (30.11.2019) (in Russian).
- Malyshev D.V. Metod kompleksnoi otsenki professional'nogo riska [A complex procedure for occupational risk as-sessment]. Problemy analiza riska, 2008, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 40–59 (in Russian).
- Professional'nyi risk. Teoriya i praktika rascheta [Occupational risk. Theoretical and practical aspects of calculating it]. In: A.G. Khrupachev, A.A. Khadartsev eds. Tula, Izdatel'stvo Tul'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta Publ., 2011, 330 p. (in Rus-sian).
- Khrupachev A.G., Khadartsev A.A., Kamenev L.I., Panova I.V., Sedova O.A. Metodologicheskaya kontseptsiya professional'nogo riska i ego kolichestvennaya otsenka [A methodological concept for occupational risk and its quantitative assessment]. Natsional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost', 2010, vol. 92, no. 35, pp. 69–80 (in Russian).
- Simonova N.I., Denisov E.I. Otechestvennye i mezhdunarodnye podkhody k otsenke i upravleniyu professional'nymi riskami. Zakonodatel'stvo Rossiiskoi Federatsii i normativno-pravovye akty, kasayushchiesya professional'nogo riska [Domestic and international approaches to assessing and managing occupational risks. The RF legislation and legal and regulatory documents related to occupational risks]. Aktual'nye problemy «Meditsiny truda»: sbornik trudov NII meditsiny truda. In: N.F. Izmerov ed. Moscow, Reinfor Publ., 2010, 416 p. (in Russian).
- Levashov S.V. Otsenka professional'nykh riskov v RF i za rubezhom [Occupational risk assessment in the RF and abroad]. Problemy analiza riska, 2012, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 54–66 (in Russian).
- Risk Assessment Tool. Available at: https://osha.europa.eu/en/publications/risk-assessment-tool (30.11.2019)
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Bobrov A.F., Denisov E.I., Eremin A.L., Kur'erov N.N., Losik T.K., Pochtareva E.S., Prokopenko L.V. [et al.]. Occupational risk assessment methods and their information support. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 1327–1330. DOI: 10.18821/0016-9900-2019-98-12-1327-1330
- Bulavka Yu.A. Current state and development of methodology of expert assessment of occupational workplace risk. Vestnik Polotskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya B, 2013, no. 3, pp. 156–163 (in Russian).
- Kowalczyk A., Chodoła I., Kulczycka K., Stychno E. Characteristics of selected methods of risk assessment. Journal of Education, Health and Sport, 2018, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1703–1714. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1438817
- Khairullina L.I., Tuchkova O.A., Zinnatullina G.N. Assessment of professional risks in industrial enterprises: examples of registration of professional risk cards. Nauchnye Trudy KubGTU, 2019, no. 3, pp. 504–511 (in Russian).
- Bednarzhevskii S.S., Korol' Zh.V. Application of Fine-Kinney Method for Occupational Risk Assessment. Perspektivy nauki, 2013, vol. 43, no. 4, no. 74–77 (in Russian).
- Denisov E.I. Noise at a workplace: permissible noise levels, risk assessment and hearing loss prediction. Health Risk Analysis, 2018, no. 3, pp. 13–23. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2018.3.02.eng
- Kochakova A.A., Ivanova M.V. Otsenka professional'nogo riska rabotnikov predpriyatii TEK [Occupational risk assessment for workers employed at heat-power engineering enterprises]. Nauka i obrazovanie segodnya, 2019, vol. 41, no. 6–1, pp. 32–34 (in Russian).
- Oturakçi M., Dağsuyu C., Kokangül A. A New Approachto Fine Kinney Method and an Implementation Study.
Alphanumeric Journal, 2015, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 083–092. DOI: 10.17093/aj.2015.3.2.5000139953
- Latypova R.R., Khait D.D., Kandybko A.P. Foreign experience of assessment of risks. Aktual'nye problemy ekonomiki i upravleniya, 2018, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 75–77 (in Russian).
- Murtonen M. Otsenka riskov na rabochem meste – prakticheskoe posobie [Assessing risks existing at a workplace: a practical guide]. Tampere, Subregional'noe byuro MOT dlya stran Vostochnoi Evropy i Tsentral'noi Azii, Publ, 2007, 65 p. (in Russian).
- Nimetulaeva G.Sh. Evaluation methods for occupational and environmental risks in occupational safety and health. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten', 2016, no. 5, pp. 75–93 (in Russian).