Peculiarities of toxic effects produced by diisononyl phthalate and regulation over it in polymer materials and medical products
V.A. Hrynchak, S.I. Sychik
Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, 8 Akademicheskaya Str., Minsk, 220012, Belarus
We chose diisononyl phthalate as our experimental research object; this compound is an isononyl ester of phthalic acid based on n-butene (CAS No. 28553-12-0).
Our research goal was to establish peculiarities and regularities related to toxic effects produced by diisononyl phthalate on experimental animals’ bodies and give scientific substantiation for fixing its permissible quantities that could migrate from polymer materials and medical products.
We accomplished our research applying a set of toxicological, physiological, hematologic, biochemical, immunologic, cy-togenetic, morphological, organoleptic, sanitary-chemical, and statistical techniques. We were the first to establish peculiarities of toxic impacts exerted by diisononyl phthalate after intragastric introduction into white rates. Those impacts were dose-dependent toxic effects produced both on a whole body and specific organs and systems with typical disorders in functional and morphological parameters, cell differentiation, and an increase in number of cells with changes in their genetic apparatus.
We revealed that overall toxic effects as well as specific damaging ones produced by diisononyl phthalate on the endocrine and reproductive systems in experimental animals’ bodies became apparent via functional disorders in the thyroid gland and gonads, embryogenesis, and offspring post-natal development. A chronic experiment allowed us to determine quantitative regularities and how toxic effects produced by diisononyl phthalate manifested themselves; so we were able to determine limiting parameters and a biological marker as well as fix a threshold of its hazardous impacts on a body, and substantiate fixing permissible quantities that could migrate from polymer materials and medical products. Our experiment results gave grounds for creating a hygienic standard for diisononyl phthalate that provided hygienic assessment and safe distribution of materials and medical products made of polymers that contained the compound.
- Onishchenko G.G. Chemical safety is the most important constituent of the sanitary and epidemiological well-being of population. Toksikologicheskii vestnik, 2014, vol. 124, no.1, pp. 2–6 (in Russian).
- Sychik S.I., Shevchuk L.M., Itpaeva-Lyudchik S.L., Ivko N.A. Osnovnye itogi deyatel'nosti respublikanskogo unitarnogo predpriyatiya «Nauchno-prakticheskii tsentr gigieny»: 2011 g. – 1 polugodie 2016 g. [Basic results of activities performed by the Republican Scientific and Practical Center for Hygiene over 2011 – the 1st half of 2016]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda: sbornik nauchnykh trudov. In: S.I. Sychik ed. Minsk, Nauchno-prakticheskii tsentr gigieny, 2017, vol. 26, pp. 290–294 (in Russian).
- Balan G.M., Kharchenko T.F., Levitskaya V.N., Isaeva S.S., Kharchenko O.A., Bubalo N.N., Povyakel' L.I. Potentsi-al'nyi risk dlya zdorov'ya ftalatnykh plastifikatorov polivilkhlorida (sovremennye aspekty) [Potential health risk caused by phthalate plasticizers based on polyvinyl chloride (contemporary aspects)]. Ukrainskii zhurnal sovremennykh problem toksikologii, 2013, no. 1–2, pp. 38–47 (in Russian).
- Koo J.W., Parham F., Kohn M.C., Masten S.A., Brock J.W., Needham L.L., Portier C.J.The association between bi-omarker-based exposure estimates for phthalates and demographic factors in a human reference population. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2002, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 405–410. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.02110405
- Predlagaemaya strategiya, napravlennaya na usilenie vovlechennosti sektora zdravookhraneniya v osushchestvlenie Strategicheskogo podkhoda [A proposed strategy aimed at making public healthcare structures more involved into Strategic approach implementation]. Doklad Mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii po regulirovaniyu khimicheskikh veshchestv o rabote ee tret'ei sessii. Nairobi, Keniya: Programma OON po okruzhayushchei srede (UNEP), 2012, pp. 72–85 (in Russian).
- Gore A.C., Chappell V.A., Fenton S.E., Flaws J.A., Nadal A., Prins G.S., Toppari J., Zoeller R.T.EDC-2: The Endocrine Society's Second Scientific Statement on Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals. Endocrine Reviews, 2015, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. E1–E150. DOI: 10.1210/er.2015-1010
- Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals-2012: Summary for Decision-Makers. In: Å. Bergman, J.J. Heindel, S. Jobling, K.A. Kidd, R.T. Zoeller eds. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2013, 38 р.
- Zoeller R.T., Brown T.R., Doan L.L., Gore A.C., Skakkebaek N.E., Soto A.M., Woodruff T.J., Vom Saal F.S. Endo-crine-disrupting chemicals and public health protection: a statement of principles from the Endocrine Society. Endocrinology, 2012, vol. 153, no. 9, pp. 4097–4110. DOI: 10.1210/en.2012-1422
- Global Status Report on Noncommunicable Diseases 2014. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2014, 299 р.
- The European health report 2012: charting the way to well-being. World Health Organization, 2013. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/data/assets/pdf_file/0004/197113/EHR2012-Eng.pdf (20.02.2019).
- Lazareva V.A., Kuchugurnyi V.E., Bortnikova E.A. Plastifikatory: marketingovyi obzor [Plasticizers: a marketing re-view]. Cherkassy, GP «Cherkasskii NIITEKhIM» Publ., 2011, 478 p. (in Russian).
- Sinitsyna O.O., Rakhmanin Yu.A., Zholdakova Z.I., Aksenova M.G., Kirillov A.V., Burd S.G., Il'yukova I.I. Epide-miological, toxicological and moleсular-genetic aspects of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the chemical safety problem. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 197–203 (in Russian).
- European Union Risk Assessment Report 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C8-10-branched alkyl esters, C9-rich and di-isononyl phthalate (DINP). Risk assessment.Luxembourg, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 2003, 302 р.
- Evaluation of new scientific evidence concerning DINP and DIDP in relation to entry 52 of Annex XVII to REACH Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006: Final review report. Helsinki, European Chemicals Agency, 2013, 369 р.
- Dinerman A.A. Rol' zagryaznitelei okruzhayushchei sredy v narushenii embrional'nogo razvitiya: monografiya [Role played by environmental contaminants in embryonic development disorders: a monograph]. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1980, 192 p. (in Russian).
- Dyban A.P., Baranov V.S., Akimov I.M. Osnovnye metodicheskie podkhody k testirovaniyu teratogennoi aktivnosti khimicheskikh veshchestv [Basic methodical approaches to testing teratogenic effects produced by chemicals]. Arkhivanatomii, gistologi i iembriologii, 1970, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 89–100 (in Russian).
- Mortelmans K., Zeiger E. The Ames Salmonella/microsome mutagenicity assay. Mutation Research, 2000, vol. 455, no. 1–2, pp. 29–60. DOI: 10.1016/s0027-5107(00)00064-6
- Mills J.N. Interpreting blood smears (or What blood smears are trying to tell you!). Australian veterinary journal, 1998, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 596–600. DOI: 10.1111/j.1751-0813.1998.tb10235.x
- Sidorov K.K. O klassifikatsii toksichnosti yadov pri parenteral'nykh sposobakh vvedeniya [On classifying toxicity of poisons under parenteral introduction]. Toksikologiya novykh promyshlennykh khimicheskikh veshchestv: sbornik statei. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1973, vol. 13, pp. 47–51 (in Russian).
- Grynchak V.A., Sychik S.I. Peculiarities of the toxic effect of diisononyl phthalate plasticizer phthalate on experimental models. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 474–477 (in Russian).
- Grynchak V.A., Sychik S.I., Vlasenko E.K., Il'yukova I.I., Afonin V.Yu. The Peculiarities of the Embryotoxic Action of Diisononyl Phthalate in Experiments on Laboratory Animals. Vestnik Vitebskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta, 2018, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 72–77 (in Russian).