Correlation between atrophic gastritis and risk factors prevalence among workers employed at atomic enterprise
E.I. Rabinovich, V.F. Obesnyuk, S.V. Povolotskaya, S.N. Sokolova, M.A. Vasina, S.S. Sokol'nikova
The Southern Urals Biophysics Institute of the RF Federal Medical and Biological Agency, 19 Ozerskoe drive, Ozersk, 456780, Russian Federation
Atrophy of the mucous tunic in the stomach is a significant predisposing factor that causes elevated risks of stomach adenocarcinoma. It was shown that mortality caused by malignant neoplasms in the digestive organs accounted for 36 % of all the death cases due to solid carcinoma among workers employed at basic enterprises included into “Mayak” Production Associa-tion (Mayak PA).
Our research goal was to examine a correlation between atrophic gastritis (AG) prevalence and potentially hazardous endogenous and exogenous factors among personnel employed at an atomic enterprise of Mayak PA.
We analyzed data obtained via clinical and laboratory examinations performed on a sampling that was made of 1.116 people, 70 % of them being workers employed at Mayak PA.
Our research allowed us to reveal and analyze 26 hazardous factors that contributed to AG development. Data array was processed with a modified “case – control” procedure based on well-known principal components analysis. Observation clusters and strata that formed certain groups in various areas of the factor space differed both as per “overloading” with risk factors and as per intensity of an effect. Accomplished analysis allowed us to conclude that there was a correlation between AG development and risk factors prevalence as we revealed certain factors exerting statistically significant impacts on AG develop-ment in the examined sampling even within the zero hypotheses H0. In order to determine how intense that correlation was, in further analysis it was advisable to apply an alternative hypothesis H1 on a possible correlation between an effect and examined factors. Application of a modified statistical procedure allowed us to make any conclusions only on certain trends occurring in AG risks when there were some changes in aggregated overloading with risk factors; adequate and complete statistical analysis can only be multi-factor one. As “factor – effects” correlations lack evidence, it creates a possibility for neuronet approximations; we are going to demonstrate it in our future works.
- Torre L.A., Bray F., Siegel R.L., Ferlay J., Lortet-Tieulent J., Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J. Clin., 2015, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 87–108. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21262
- Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2016 g. (zabolevaemost', smertnost') [Malignant neoplasms in Russia in 2016 (morbidity and mortality)]. In: A.D. Kaprin, V.V. Starinskii, G.V. Petrova eds. Moscow, MNIOI im. P.A. Gertsena – filial FGBU «NMIRTs» Minzdrava Rossii Publ., 2018, 250 p. (in Russian).
- Correa P. Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process. FACSAL on CEP. Cancer Res., 1992, vol. 52, pp. 6735–6742.
- Vannella L., Lahner E., Annibale B. Risk for gastric neoplasias in patients with chronic atrophic gastritis: A critical re-appraisal. World J. Gastroenterol, 2012, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1279–1285. DOI: 10.3748/wjg.v18.i12.1279
- Song H., Ekheden I.G., Zheng Z., Ericsson J., Nyrén O., Ye W. Incidence of gastric cancer among patients with gastric precancerous lesions: observational cohort study in a low risk Western population. Br. Med. J., 2015, vol. 27, no. 351, pp. 3867. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.h3867
- Khomyakov V.M., Ermoshina A.D., Pirogov S.S., Ryabov A.B. Stomach cancer risk factors: the modern concept. Rossiiskii zhurnal gastroenterologii, gepatologii, koloproktologii, 2017, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 78–86 (in Russian).
- Muszyński J., Biernacka D., Siemińska J., Górnicka B., Bogdańska M. Effect of age and sex on the occurrence of gastritis changes in gastric mucosa. Pol. Arch. Med. Wewn, 1996, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 542–548.
- Risk factors for atrophic chronic gastritis in a European population: results of the Eurohepygast study. The Eurohepygast Study Group. Gut, 2002, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 779–785. DOI: 10.1136/gut.50.6.779
- Hishida A., Matsuo K., Goto Y., Naito M., Wakai K., Tajima K., Hamajima N. Smoking behavior and risk Нelicobacter pylori infection, gastric atrophy and gastric cancer in Japanese. Asian. Pac. J. Cancer Prev., 2010, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 313–317.
- Osipov M.V., Sokol'nikov M.E. Assessment of Mortality Risk from Malignant Neoplasms Developed in Gastrointes-tinal Organs in Mayak PA Workers. Voprosy radiatsionnoi bezopasnosti, 2014, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 76–83 (in Russian).
- Rabinovich E.I., Obesnyuk V.F., Povolotskaya S.V., Sokolova S.N., Turdakova V.A. Impact Assessment of Carcinogenic Factors on the Atrophic Gastritis in the Cohort of Workers of the Nuclear Facility. Meditsinskaya radiologiya i radiatsionnaya bezopasnost', 2015, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 31–39 (in Russian).
- Solov'ev V.Yu., Bushmanov A.Yu., Semenov V.G., Kochetkov O.A., Torubarov F.S. The Conceptual Approach to Identification of Risk Groups among Atomic Industry Workers. Meditsinskaya radiologiya i radiatsionnaya bezopasnost', vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 16–23 (in Russian).
- Kurilovich S., Belkovets A., Reshetnikov O., Openko T., Malyutina S., Ragino Y., Scherbakova L., Leja M. [et al.]. Stomachspecific Biomarkers (Gastro Panel) Can Predict the Development of Gastric Cancer in a Caucasian Population: A Lon-gitudinal Nested Case-Control Study in Siberia. Anticancer Res., 2016, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 247–253.
- Jolliffe I.T. Principal Component Analysis. Springer Series in Statistics. 2nd edition. New-York, Springer Publ., 2002, 487 p.
- Altham P. Exact Bayesian analysis of 2×2 contingency table and Fisher’s exact significance test. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B, 1969, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 261–269. DOI: 10.1111/j.2517-6161.1969.tb00786.x
- Obesnyuk V.F., Khromov-Borisov N.N. Interval'nye otsenki pokazatelei sravnitel'nogo mediko-biologicheskogo is-sledovaniya [Interval estimates for parameters of a comparative medical and biological examination]. Aktual'nye Problemy Sov-remennoi Nauki: Mezhvuzovskii sbornik nauchnykh trudov s materialami 10-i mezhdunarodnoi telekonferentsii, 2013, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 154–156 (in Russian).
- Rapoport S.I. Gastrity. Posobie dlya vrachei [Gastritis. A manual for physicians]. Moscow, Medpraktika Publ., 2010, 19 p. (in Russian).
- Sterzl I., Hrda P., Matucha P., Cerovská J., Zamrazil V. Anti-Helicobacter рylori, Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase, Anti-Thyroglobulin and Anti-Gastric Parietal Cells Antibodies in Czech Population. Physiol. Res., 2008, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 135–141.
- Kullback S., Kupperman M., Ku H.H. An application of information theory to the analysis of contingency tables. Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, 1962, vol. 66B, no. 4, pp. 217–243.
- Wilks S.S. The large sample distribution of the likelihood ratio for testing composite hypotheses. The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 1938, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 60–62. DOI: 10.1214/aoms/1177732360