Information technologies for data collection and processing when establishing determinants of epidemic processes
A.V. Bogomolov, S.S. Chikova, T.V. Zueva
State Research Institute for Military Medicine, 7, 1st Krasnokursantsky proezd, Moscow, 111250, Russian Federation
Providing biological safety of population is determined by a current situation with the state sanitary-epidemiologic system and its being ready to detect, localize and eliminate infective episodes. As threats of bioterrorism attacks against people are growing and infectious diseases are becoming more widely spread, it calls for greater efficiency of sanitary-epidemiologic ex-aminations due to optimized collection and processing of data that are necessary for decision making related to revealing basic determinants of an epidemic process, as well as causes and conditions for infection occurrence and spread.
The paper dwells on a technology for automated data processing that helps to efficiently reveal all determinants of an epidemic process, and causes and conditions for infection occurrence and spread. The technology also allows automated checking of all proposed hypotheses basing on generalization of results obtained via independent research.
Proposed solutions are verified within a sanitary-epidemiologic examination that focused on dysentery episode in an organized team with its members staying on a closed territory and having their meals provided for them at a canteen. The authors compared an already existing system for collection and processing of statistical data (applied to reveal basic determinants of an epidemic process) and a proposed system for data collection and processing.
Obtained results supplement and develop existing theoretical and practical achievements as regards IT implementation into sanitary-epidemiologic examinations; they have considerable practical significance especially bearing in mind a future transition to electronic circulation of documents within public healthcare and medical provision. When applied, a proposed approach allows considerable reduction in time spent on generalization of data obtained via sanitary-epidemiologic examinations as well as a significant increase in validity of accomplished statistical calculations necessary to reveal factors that cause infectious agent transmission.
- Salagay O.O. Infectious disease control in the European Union: legal retrospective and modernity. Pravo i politika, 2015, no. 3, pp. 327–333. DOI: 10.7256/1811-9018.2015.3.14601 (in Russian).
- Dyatlov I.A., Tyurin Ye.A. The public sanitary epidemiologic service supporting biological safety. Zdravookhraneniye Rossiyskoy Federatsii, 2013, no. 2, pp. 31–35 (in Russian).
- Stachel A., Pinto G., Stelling J., Fulmer Y., Shopsin B., Inglima K., Phillips M. Implementation and evaluation of an automated surveillance system to detect hospital outbreak. Am. J. Infect. Control., 2017, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1372–1377. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.06.031
- Kettelhut V.V., Vanschooneveld T.C., McClay J.C., Mercer D.F., Fruhling A., Meza J.L. Empirical Study on the Impact of a Tactical Biosurveillance Information Visualization on Users' Situational Awareness. Mil. Med., 2017, no. 182, pp. 322–329. DOI: 10.7205/MILMED-D-16-00143
- Khaustova N.A., Sokolova S.N. Safety of Modern Society: Nanotechnology and Bioterrorism. Vesník Paleskaga dzyarzhaŭnaga uníversíteta. Seryya gramadskíkh í gumanítarnykh navuk, 2015, no. 1, pp. 46–50 (in Russian).
- Pukhov A.A. Bioterrorism and biodiversionary activity as threats to national security of the Republic of Belarus at present time. Vestnik Baranovichskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Istoricheskiye nauki i arkheologiya, Ekonomicheskiye nauki, Yuridicheskiye nauki, 2016, no. 4, pp. 132–137 (in Russian).
- Konovalov P.P., Arsent'yev O.V., Buyanov A.L., Bekmurzov S.M. The use of biological weapons – realities of the con-temporary world. Sibirskoye meditsinskoye obozreniye, 2015, no 4, pp. 79–84 (in Russian).
- Banerjee D., Chakraborty B., Chakraborty B. Anthrax: Where Margins are Merging between Emerging Threats and Bi-oterrorism. Indian J. Dermatol., 2017, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 456–458. DOI: 10.4103/ijd.IJD_378_17
- Onishchenko G.G., Toporkov A.V., Lipnitskiy A.V., Viktorov D.V. Problems of counteraction to biological terrorism at the present stage. Infektsionnyye bolezni: novosti, mneniya, obucheniye, 2016, no. 1, pp. 24–31 (in Russian).
- Chen X., Chughtai A.A., MacIntyre C.R. A Systematic Review of Risk Analysis Tools for Differentiating Unnatural From Natural Epidemics. Mil. Med., 2017, vol. 182, no. 11, pp. 1827–1835.
- Maksimov I.B., Stolyar V.P., Bogomolov A.V. Prikladnaya teoriya informatsionnogo obespecheniya mediko-biologicheskikh issledovanii [Applied theory of information provision for medical and biological research]. Moscow, Binom Publ., 2013, 311 p. (in Russian).
- Solodovnikov Yu.P., Ivanenko A.V., Yefremova N.V., Filatov N.N., Glinenko V.M., Samchuk G.F., Ushakova N.S. Soderzhaniye i posledovatel'nost' professional'nykh deystvii epidemiologa pri rassledovanii vspyshek i epidemii kishechnykh infektsii [Contents and sequence of necessary steps an epidemiologist is to make when examining episodes and epidemics of enteric infections]. Zhurnal mikrobiologii, epidemiologii i immunobiologii, 2008, no. 1, pp. 101–105 (in Russian).
- Marx V. High-security labs: Life in the danger zone. Nature, 2014, vol. 505, no. 7483, pp. 437–441. DOI: 10.1038/505437a
- Supotnitskii M.V. Recognition of Artificially Induced Outbreaks of Infectious Diseases. Aktual'naya infektologiya, 2014, no. 2, pp. 116–141 (in Russian).
- Gerasimov A.N., Polibin R.V. Software for epidemiological analysis: Use and training. Epidemiologiya i infektsionnyye bolezni. Aktual'nyye voprosy, 2014, no. 5, pp. 75–78 (in Russian).
- Parker J.T., Juren A.C., Lowe L., Santibañez S., Rhie G.E., Merlin T.L. Enhancing Laboratory Response Network Ca-pacity in South Korea. Emerg. Infect. Dis., 2017, vol. 23, no. 13, pp. 120–124. DOI: 10.3201/eid2313.170348
- Bogomolov A.V., Zuyeva T.V., Chikova S.S. Informatsionno-logicheskaya model' protsessov sbora i obrabotki infor-matsii pri lokalizatsii i likvidatsii ochagov infektsionnykh zabolevaniy [Information and logic model for data collection and pro-cessing during localizing and eliminating infections foci]. Programmnyye produkty, sistemy i algoritmy, 2018, no. 1, pp. 7–10. DOI: 10.15827/2311-67184.108.40.206 (in Russian).
- Muscatello D.J., Chughtai A.A., Heywood A., Gardner L.M., Heslop D.J., MacIntyre C.R. Translation of Real-Time Infectious Disease Modeling into Routine Public Health Practice. Emerg. Infect. Dis., 2017, vol. 23, no, 5, pp. 1–8. DOI: 10.3201/eid2305.161720
- Zuyeva T.V. Strukturnyi sistemnyi analiz protsessov sbora i obrabotki informatsii pri provedenii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskikh rassledovaniy v voinskikh kollektivakh [Structural systemic analysis of data collection and processing when conducting sanitary-epidemiologic examinations in military teams]. Informatika i sistemy upravleniya, 2008, no. 2, pp. 74–76 (in Russian).
- Zhdanov K.V., Zakharenko S.M., L'vov N.I., Kozlov K.V. Counteracting infections in the age of current threats. In-fektsionnyye bolezni: novosti, mneniya, obucheniye, 2017, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 85–91 (in Russian).
- Belozerov Ye.S., Kiseleva L.M., Midlenko V.I., Kuz'mina A.A., Romanenko S.M., Reznikova Ye. N. Infectious dis-eases and problems of biosafety. Ul'yanovskii mediko-biologicheskii zhurnal, 2016, no. 3, pp. 8–15 (in Russian).
- Gavrilova O.N., Kasymova R.O. Threats and approaches to improving epidemiological surveillance in the Kyrgyz re-public as an element of biosecurity. Zdravookhraneniye Kyrgyzstana, 2017, no. 4, pp. 22–25 (in Russian).
- Pokrovskii V.I., Briko N.I. Epidemiological studies are the basis for clinical epidemiology and evidence-based medicine. Epidemiologiya i infektsionnyye bolezni, 2008, no. 5, pp. 4–8 (in Russian).
- Savilov Ye.D., Mamontova L.M., Astaf'yev V.A., Zhdanova S.N. Primeneniye statisticheskikh metodov v epidemi-ologicheskom analize [Application of statistical techniques in epidemiologic analysis]. Moscow, MEDpress-inform, 2004, 112 p. (in Russian).
- Gerasimov A.N. Mathematical models and epidemiological analysis. Vestnik RAMN, 2010, no. 12, pp. 23–26 (in Rus-sian).
- Zavriyev S.K., Kolesnikov A.V. Risks and Threats in Biosecurity Area: Problem Analysis and Search for Optimal So-lutions in Contemporary Conditions. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya, 2015, no. 9, pp. 57–68 (in Russian).
- Willem L., Verelst F., Bilcke J., Hens N., Beutels P. Lessons from a decade of individual-based models for infectious disease transmission: a systematic review (2006–2015). BMC Infect. Dis., 2017, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 612–619. DOI: 10.1186/s12879-017-2699-8
- Rasulov D.G. Biologicheskiy terrorizm kak Sistema [Biological terrorism as a specific system]. Vestnik Tadzhikskogo natsional'nogo universiteta. Seriya sotsial'no-ekonomicheskikh i obshchestvennykh nauk, 2017, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 280–285 (in Rus-sian).
- Konovalov P.P., Arsent'yev O.V., Buyanov A.L., Shperling N.V. International legal acts fixing basis of activity in fight with bioterrorism. Permskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2015, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 116–124 (in Russian).
- Sammarco M.L., Ripabelli G., Tamburro M. Molecular epidemiology of infectious diseases: analytical methods and results interpretation. Ann Ig., 2014, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 10–45. DOI: 10.7416/ai.2014.1956
- Fleck-Derderian S., Shankar M., Rao A.K., Chatham-Stephens K, Adjei S., Sobel J., Meltzer M.I., Meaney-Delman D., Pillai S.K. The Epidemiology of Foodborne Botulism Outbreaks: A Systematic Review. Clin. Infect. Dis., 2017, vol. 27, no. 66, pp. 73–81. DOI: 10.1093/cid/cix846
- Vinarti R., Hederman L. A Knowledge-Base for a Personalized Infectious Disease Risk Prediction System. Stud Health Technol. Inform., 2018, no. 247, pp. 531–535.
- Lall R., Abdelnabi J., Ngai S., Parton H.B., Saunders K., Sell J., Wahnich A., Weiss D., Mathes R.W. Advancing the Use of Emergency Department Syndromic Surveillance Data, New York City, 2012–2016. Public. Health Rep., 2017, vol. 132, no. 7, pp. 23–30. DOI: 10.1177/0033354917711183
- Liao Y., Xu B., Wang J., Liu X. A new method for assessing the risk of infectious disease outbreak. Sci. Rep., 2017, no. 9, pp. 7. DOI: 10.1038/srep40084
- Bogomolov A.V., Kukushkin Yu.A. Mathematical support for meta-analysis of independent experimental biomedical research. Informatika i sistemy upravleniya, 2011, no. 4, pp. 65–74 (in Russian).
- Bogomolov A.V., Zuyeva T.V., Chikova S.S., Golosovskiy M.S. Ekspertno-analiticheskoye obosnovaniye prioritetnykh napravleniy sovershenstvovaniya sistemy preduprezhdeniya biologicheskikh terroristicheskikh aktov [Expert and analytic substantiation for priorities in development of a system aimed at preventing biological terrorist attacks]. Informatika i sistemy upravleniya, 2009, no. 4, pp. 134–136 (in Russian).
- Bukhtiyarov I.V., Kukushkin Yu.A., Bogomolov A.V., Vasilyev A.Yu., Yadov V.V. Mета-analysis of the cumulative effects of piloting g-loads on the cervical vertebrae. Aviakosmicheskaya i ekologicheskaya meditsina, 2001, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 18–24 (in Russian).