Assessing morphofunctional state of microcirculation channel in smoking young males
A.V. Kharin, I.V. Aver`yanova, S.I. Vdovenko
«Arctica» Scientific and Research Center, the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 24 Karla Marksa Avе., Magadan, 685000, Russian Federation
According to statistical data provided by the World Health Organization, death causes related to smoking annually account for approximately six million deaths all over the world, and here more than five million deaths are directly caused by smoking and more than 600 hundred thousand deaths occur due to passive smoking.
In order to study effects produced by smoking on human microcirculation, we examined capillary blood flow and morphofunctional state of capillaries in smoking and non-smoking people.
195 practically healthy young males aged 17–21 took part in our research; at that moment they were studying at the North-East State University. Microcirculation parameters were examined with non-invasive techniques, namely via computer capillaroscopy performed in a zone of skin swelling near the nail-bed.
We obtained 12 quantitative parameters to characterize the microcirculation channel. Having analyzed the data, we revealed a shift in arteryvenous ratio of a capillary dimensions towards a greater diameter of an artery section and smaller diameter of a venous section in a capillary among smoking young males; there was also a decrease in capillary length. Research results allowed revealing a significant correlation between smoking and capillary deformation. Blood capillaries were more twisted and erythrocytic sludges were more apparent among smoking people.
The results we obtained can be added to a database that is applied to create recommendations on healthy lifestyle among young people in order to prevent risks of smoking-related diseases.
- WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic 2013: enforcing bans on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship. World Health Organization. Geneva, 2013. Available at: https://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2013/en/ (17.10.2018).
- Cantatore F.P., Corrado A., Covelli M., Lapadula G. Morphologic study of the microcirculation in connective tissue diseases. Ann. Ital. Med. Int., 2000, no. 15, pp. 273–281. Available at: https://www.pubfacts.com/detail/11202629/Morphologic-study-of-the-microc... (17.10.2018).
- Scardina G.A. The effect of cigar smoking on the lingual microcirculation. Odontology, 2005, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 41–45. DOI: 10.1007/s10266-005-0050-0
- De Backer D., Durand A. Monitoring the microcirculation in critically ill patients. Best Practice & Research Clinical Anaesthesiology, 2014, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 441–451. DOI: 10.1016/j.bpa.2014.09.005
- Moore J.P., Dyson A., Singer M., Fraser J. Microcirculatory dysfunction and resuscitation: why, when, and how. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 2015, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 366–375. DOI: 10.1093/bja/aev163
- Krupatkin A.I., Sidorov V.V. Funktsional'naya diagnostika sostoyaniya mikrotsirkulyatorno-tkanevykh sistem [Func-tional diagnostics of microcirculatory and tissue systems]. Moscow, Knizhnyi dom «Librokom» Publ., 2013, 496 p. (in Russian).
- Dunaev A.V., Sidorov V.V., Krupatkin A.I., Rafailov I.E., Palmer S.G., Stewart N.A., Sokolovski S.G., Rafailov E.U. Investigating tissue respiration and skin microhaemocirculation under adaptive changes and the synchronization of blood flow and oxygen saturation rhythms. Physiological Measurement, 2014, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 607–621. DOI: 10.1088/0967-3334/35/4/607
- Shepro D. Microvascular Research: Biology and Pathology. USA, Academic Press Publ., 2005, vol. 1–2, 1296 p.
- Lambova S., Müller-Ladner U. The role of capillaroscopy in differentiation of primary and secondary Raynaud's phe-nomenon in rheumatic diseases: a review of the literature and two case reports. Rheumatol. Int., 2009, vol. 29, pp. 1263–1271. DOI: 10.1007/s00296-009-1019-z
- Stupin V.A., Anikin A.I., Aliev C.R. Transcutaneous oximetry in clinical practice. Moscow, Rossiiskii gosudar-stvennyi meditsinskii universitet Publ., 2010, 57 p. Available at: http://diss.seluk.ru/m-physiology/1046293-1-va-stupin-anikin-aliev-trans...¬denie.php (17.10.2018) (in Russian).
- Fedorovich A.A. The capillary haemodynamics in eponychium of upper extremity. Regionarnoe krovoobrashchenie i mikrotsirkulyatsiya, 2006, vol. 1, no. 17, pp. 20–29. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=11715560 (17.10.2018) (in Rus-sian).
- Borovikov V.P. Statistica. Iskusstvo analiza dannykh na komp'yutere: Dlya professionalov [Statistica. An art of ana-lyzing data on a PC for experts]. Sankt-Peterburg, Piter Publ., 2003, 688 p. Available at: http://computersbooks.net/in-dex.php?id1=4&cate¬gory=teo¬riyapro¬gramirovaniya&author=borovikov-v&book=2003 (17.10.2018) (in Russian).
- Bishop J.J. Rheological effects of red blood cell aggregation in the venous network: a review of recent studies. Bio-rheology, 2001, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 263–274. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11381180 (17.10.2018).
- Löfström B. Intravascular aggregation and oxygen consumption: aggregation of red blood cells produced by high molecular weight dextran or by hypothermia. Acta Anaesthesiol. Scand., 1959, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 41–51. DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-6576.1959.tb00006.x
- Tateishi N. O(2) release from erythrocytes flowing in a narrow O(2)-permeable tube: effects of erythrocyte aggregation. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., 2001, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. H448–H456. DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.2001.281.1.h448
- Popel A.S., Johnson P.C. Microcirculation and hemorheology. Annu. Rev. Fluid. Mech., 2005, no. 37, pp. 43–69. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.fluid.37.042604.133933
- Schmid-Schönbein H. Microrheology of erythrocytes, blood viscosity, and the distribution of blood flow in the mi-crocirculation. Int. Rev. Physiol., 1976, no. 9, pp. 1–62. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-66390-1_4
- Cabel M. Contribution of red blood cell aggregation to venous vascular resistance in skeletal muscle. Am. J. Physiol, 1997, vol. 272, no. 2, pp. H1020–H1032. DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.1997.272.2.h1020
- Luchakov Yu.I., Kamyshev N.G., Shabanov P.D. Heat transfer in blood vessels: comparison experimental and mat. Obzory po klinicheskoi farmakologii i lekarstvennoi terapii, 2009, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 3–24. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/perenos-tepla-krovyu-sopostavlenie-ras... (17.10.2018) (in Rus-sian).
- Sokolova I.A. Erythrocyte aggregation. Regionarnoe krovoobrashchenie i mikrotsirkulyatsiya, 2010, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 4–26. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=15567994 (17.10.2018) (in Russian).