Oxidative stress and antioxidant protection in people of various age under contact with adverse occupational factors
I.A. Umnyagina, T.V. Blinova, L.A. Strakhova, V.V. Troshin, S.A. Kolesov, О.V. Sherstobitova
Nizhegorodskiy Scientific Research Institute for Hygiene and Occupational Pathology, 20 Semashko Str., Nizhniy Novgorod, 603950, Russian Federation
Free radical oxidation and antioxidant protection system has been examined for decades. However, experts still haven't been able to determine cause-and-effect relations between oxidative stress, age, working conditions, and a risk of functional and organic disorders that can develop in a human body.
Our research goal was to detect peculiarities related to age dynamics of integral parameters that describe oxidative stress and total antioxidant capacity of blood serum; to assess their changes depending on impacts exerted by adverse occupational factors on a worker's body.
244 people aged from 18 to 65 were under observation; they all had physical loads at their workplaces and contacted adverse chemicals. These people underwent regular medical check-ups at a consultancy polyclinic of the Rospotrebnadzor's Nizhniy Novgorod Scientific Research Institute for Hygiene and Occupational Pathology.
The first stage in the research involved mass screening aimed at detecting parameters related to oxidative stress and total antioxidant capacity of blood serum in all the examined people. At the second stage in research we analyzed levels of oxidative stress and total antioxidant capacity of blood serum taking into account age of an examined person and impacts exerted by adverse occupational factors (n=174).
Integral parameters of oxidative stress and total antioxidant capacity of blood serum were determined with a calorimetric biochemical microplate procedure.
We detected that oxidative stress grew with age and antioxidant protection dropped. It was shown that adverse chemical factors exerted more apparent impacts on oxidative stress and antioxidant capacity of blood serum on people from the same age group than physical loads. We determined integral parameters of oxidative stress and antioxidant capacity of blood serum in people from various age groups and limits of their age-dependent changes. These parameters can serve as informative tests for monitoring over health, assessing gravity of a disease, its forecast, treatment efficiency, and preventive activities.
- Martusevich A.K., Karuzin K.A. Oksidativnyi stress i ego rol' v formirovanii dizadaptatsii i patologii [Oxidative stress and its role in the formation of disadaptation and pathology]. Bioradikaly i antioksidanty, 2015, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 5–18 (in Russian).
- Rosales-Corral S., Tan D.-X., Manchester L., Reiter R.J. Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease-two overlapping pathologies with the same background: Oxidative Stress. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2015, 14 p. Available at: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2015/985845/ (26.09.2018). DOI: 10.1155/2015/985845.
- Soazig L.L., Gilles S., Martinez M.C., Ramaroson A. Oxidative Stress and Metabolic Pathologies: From an Adipocentric Point of View. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2014, no. 2014, 18 p. DOI: 10.1155/2014/908539
- Pavlyuchenko I.I., Dydyshko E.I., Okhremenko O.S. Comparative analysis of the dynamics of the immune-antioxidant status of the pro-antioxidant system in patients with thyroid. Kubanskii nauchnyi meditsinskii vestnik, 2017, no. 5, pp. 59–62 (in Russian). DOI: 10.25207/1608-6228-2017-24-5-59-62
- Rakhmanov R.S., Blinova T.V., Kolesov S.A., Strakhova L.A., Troshin V.V., Umnyagina I.A., Sapozhnikova M.A. Evaluation of prognostic significance of functional and biochemical indices for health status assessment in young person’s working in tube-casting plants. Kubanskii nauchnyi meditsinskii vestnik, 2017, no. 2, pp. 123–128 (in Russian). DOI: 10.25207/1608-6228-2017-2-123-128
- Hawley B., L'Orange C., Olsen D.B., Marchese A.J., Volckens J. Oxidative stress and aromatic hydrocarbon response of human bronchial epithelial cells exposed to petro- or biodiesel exhaust treated with a diesel particulate filter. Toxicological Sciences, 2014, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 505–514. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/article/141/2/505/2511607 (26.09.2018). DOI: 10.1093/toxsci/kfu147
- Go Y.-M., Jones D.P. Redox theory of aging: implications for health and disease. Clin Sci (London), 2017, vol. 131, no. 14, pp. 1669–1688. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5773128/ (24.09.2018). DOI: 10.1042/CS20160897
- Dues D.J., Andrews E.K., Schaar C.E., Bergsma A.L., Senchuk M.M., Van Raamsdonk J.M. Aging causes decreased resistance to multiple stresses and a failure to activate specific stress response pathways. Aging (Albany N.Y.), 2016, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 777–795. DOI: 10.18632/aging.100939
- Kim J.Y., Kim O.Y., Paik J.K., Kwon D.Y., Kim H.-J., Lee J.H. Association of age-related changes in circulating in-termediary lipid metabolites, inflammatory and oxidative stress markers, and arterial stiffness in middle-aged men. Age (Dordrecht, Netherlands), 2013, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 1507–1519. DOI: 10.1007/s11357-012-9454-2
- Urbański K., Nowak M., Guzik T.J. Oxidative stress and vascular function. Postepy Biochem, 2013, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 424–31. DOI: 10.1093/annhyg/mev024
- Sayin V.I., Ibrahim M.X., Larsson E., Nilsson J.A., Lindahl P., Bergo M.O. Antioxidants accelerate lung cancer pro-gression in mice. Science Translational Medicine, 2014, vol. 6, no. 221, pp. 221–225. DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3007653
- Van'ek K. Аntioksidanty: khoroshie, plokhie, zlye [Antioxidants: good, bad, evil]. Shkola zdorov'ya Titovykh, 2017. Available at: https://articles.shkola-zdorovia.ru/antioksidanty-horoshie-plohie-zlye-k... (26.09.2018) (in Russian).
- Valeev G.G. Sposob opredeleniya stepeni peregruzki serdtsa [Method for detecting the degree of cardiac overloading]. FindPatent.RU, 2007. Available at: https://findpatent.ru/patent/230/2306846.html (25.08.2018) (in Russian).
- Edrey Y.H., Salmon A.B. Revisiting an age-old question regarding oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol. Med., 2014, vol. 71, pp. 368–378.
- Phillips C. Lifestyle modulators of neuroplasticity: how physical activity, mental engagement, and diet promote cognitive health during aging. Neural Plast, 2017, pp. 3589271. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5485368/ (13.08.2018). DOI: 10.1155/2017/3589271
- European contribution to the study of ROS: A summary of the findings and prospects for the future from the COST action BM1203 (EU-ROS). Redox Biology, 2017, no. 13, pp. 94–162. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5975209/ (28.09.2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.redox.2017.05.007
- De Gonzalo-Calvo D., De Luxán-Delgado B., Rodríguez-González S., García-Macia M., Suárez F.M., Solano J.J., Rodríguez-Colunga M.J., Coto-Montes A. Oxidative protein damage is associated with severe functional dependence among the elderly population: a principal component analysis approach. Journals of Gerontology-Series a Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 2012, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 663–670. DOI: 10.1093/gerona/glr215
- Spagnolo A.M., Ottria G., Perdelli F., Cristina M.L. Chemical characterisation of the coarse and fine particulate matter in the environment of an underground railway system: cytotoxic effects and oxidative stress – a preliminary study. Int J. Environ. Res. Public. Health, 2015, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 4031–4046. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4410231/ (24.09.2018). DOI: 10.3390/ijerph120404031
- Pomierny B., Krzyżanowska W., Smaga I., Pomierny-Chamioło L., Stankowicz P., Budziszewska B. Ethylene Glycol Ethers Induce Oxidative Stress in the Rat Brain. Neurotox Res, 2014, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 422–429. DOI: 10.1007/s12640-014-9486-8
- Poljšakand B., Fink R. The Protective Role of Antioxidants in the Defence against ROS/RNS-Mediated Environmental Pollution. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2014, pp. 671539. DOI: 10.1155/2014/671539
- Pizzino G., Irrera N., Cucinotta M., Pallio G., Mannino F., Arcoraci V., Squadrito F., Altavilla D., Bitto A. Oxidative Stress: Harms and Benefits for Human Health. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2017, pp. 8416763. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
pmc/articles/PMC5551541/(01.06.2018). DOI: 10.1155/2017/8416763