Assessing risks of respiratory organs diseases and co-morbid pathology in children caused by ambient air contamination with technogenic chemicals (co-hort study)
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Perm State University, Россия, 15 Bukireva Str., Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
We conducted a cohort study which included 144 children who were divided into 3 groups. The test group A was made up of 47 children who lived on a territory where ambient air was contaminated with benzene, phenol, formaldehyde, and particulate matter. The test group B included 45 children exposed to aerogenic introduction of metals (vanadium and manganese). The reference group was made up of 22 children who lived on a territory which was safe in terms of its sanitary-hygienic state.
It was detected that 87.2 % children aged 4–6 who were exposed to aerogenic impacts by benzene, phenol, formaldehyde, and particulate matter had allergic rhinitis, and two thirds of children with respiratory organs diseases had secondary immune failure. By the first school year, probability of allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, recurrent bronchitis and functional pathologies in the gastrointestinal tract grew by 4.6–7.9 times. When children reached 11–14 years, frequency of chronic diseases in the gastrointestinal tract among them grew by 14.5 times, and probability of secondary immune failure and disorders in the vegetative nervous system was 6.0–6.6 times higher.
It was noted that ambient air contamination with metals resulted in chronic diseases in the lymphoid tissue of the na-sopharynx diagnosed in 65.8 % children; children who were exposed to metals in ambient air ran 1.9 times higher risks of combined pathologies in their respiratory organs and the nervous system. When children reached 7–10 years, probability of allergic rhinitis, pathologies in the lymphoid tissue of the nasopharynx, and functional disorders in the digestive system was 3.9–5.3 times higher. Senior schoolchildren who suffered from chronic respiratory organs diseases ran 2.7–3.0 times higher risks of vegetative dystonia and secondary immune failure.
- Baranov A.A., Il'in A.G. Main trends in children's health dynamics in the Russian Federation. Search for problem solu-tions. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii meditsinskikh nauk, 2011, no. 6, pp. 12–18 (in Russian).
- Omarova M.N., Kenzhebaeva A.T., Zhumagulova A.N., Aspetov D.R., Zhumatova B.Kh. Respiratory diseases spread among the population of large industrial city. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamental'nykh issledovanii, 2016, no. 12, pp. 828–831 (in Russian).
- Modestov A.A., Sokovich O.G., Terletskaya R.N. Contemporary tendencies of respiration disease children's morbidity in Russian Federation. Sibirskoe meditsinskoe obozrenie, 2008, no. 6, pp. 3–8 (in Russian).
- Gigienicheskie aspekty narusheniya zdorov'ya detei pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh faktorov sredy obitaniya [Hygienic aspects of the impairment of children's health when exposed to chemical environmental factors]. In: N.V. Zaitseva ed. Perm', Knizhnyi format Publ., 2011, 489 p. (in Russian).
- Korochkina Yu.V., Perekusikhin M.V., Vasil'ev V.V., Panteleev G.V. Hygienic environmental assessment and health of children in Penza. Health Risk Analysis, 2015, no. 3, pp. 33–39. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2015.3.05.eng
- Sly P.D., Kusel M., Franklin P., Holt P.G. Environmental Factors in Children's Asthma and Respiratory Effects. Ency-clopedia of Environmental Health, 2011, pp. 367–379.
- Peden D.B. The epidemiology and genetics of asthma risk associated with air pollution. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2005, no. 115, p. 220.
- Lezhnin V.L., Kon'shina L.G., Sergeeva M.V. Assessment of children’s health risk posed by traffic-related air pollution as exemplified by the city of Salekhard. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, no. 1, pp. 83–86 (in Russian).
- Ushakov A.A., Turbinskii V.V., Pashchenko I.G., Katunina A.S. Hygienic assessment of habitat adverse social and sanitary factors in the Altai Krai. Health Risk Analysis, 2015, no. 4, pp. 50–61. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2015.4.07.eng
- Zhang K., Batterman S. Air pollution and health risks due to vehicle traffic. Science of The Total Environment, 2013, no. 450–451, pp. 307–316.
- Addendum to the toxicological profile for formaldehyde. Atlanta: Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Division of Toxicology and Environmental Medicine, 2010, 149 p.
- Toxicological profile for phenol. U.S. Department of health and human services, Public Health Service Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 2008, 268 p.
- Troshina V.V., Namazova-Baranova L.S., Tarakanova S.Yu., Zokirov N.Z., Gladkikh V.D., Los' S.P. Epidemiological researches in practice of ecological pediatrics. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk, 2014, vol. 16, no. 5 (2), pp. 745–749 (in Russian).
- Maklakova O.A., Ustinova O.Yu., Belyaeva E.S., Shcherbakov A.A. Features of cardiac disorders in children with chronic respiratory diseases associated with aerogenic exposure to chemical environmental factors. Health Risk Analysis, 2016, no. 1, pp. 42–48. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2016.1.05.eng
- Maklakova O.A., Ustinova O.Yu., Alekseeva A.V. Age structure and dynamics of the morbidity rate of respiratory and autonomous nervous system diseases in children living in conditions of the aerogenous impact of chemical factors of technogenic origin (cohort study). Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, no. 1, pp. 75–78 (in Russian).
- Nuriakhmetova A.Zh., Faizullina R.M. Clinical and anamnestic features in children with recurrent and chronic respir-atory diseases in the industrial region. Meditsinskii vestnik Bashkortostana, 2013, no. 3, pp. 67–71 (in Russian).
- Kholmatova K.K., Khar'kova O.A., Grzhibovskii A.M. Cohort studies in medicine and public health. Ekologiya che-loveka, 2016, no. 4, 56–64 (in Russian).
- Fletcher R., Fletcher S., Vagner E. Klinicheskaya epidemiologiya. Osnovy dokazatel'noi meditsiny [Clinical epidemi-ology. Basics of evidential medicine]. Moscow, Media Sfera, 1998, 352 p. (in Russian).