Drinking water quality: health risk factors and efficiency of control and surveillance activities by Rospotrebnadzor
N.V. Zaitseva1,2,3, A.S. Sboev4, S.V. Kleyn1,2, S.A. Vekovshinina1
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Perm State University, 15 Bukireva Str., Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
3Perm State Medical University named after Academician E.A. Wagner, 26 Petropavlovskaya Str., Perm, 614000, Russian Federation
4Informational methodical center, 19A Varshavskoe shosse, Moscow, 117105, Russian Federation
The paper dwells on issues related to quality of drinking water from centralized water supply systems; spotting out priority health risk factors; and assessing efficiency of control and surveillance activities performed by Rospotrebnadzor in the sphere of drinking water supply to the RF population.
It was detected that in most RF regions control activities performed within social-hygienic monitoring mainly covered contents of substances belonging to the 3rd and 4th hazard categories in drinking water while contents of the 1st hazard category substances were controlled only in several RF regions. The highest shares of samples exceeding hygienic standards as per contents of the 1st hazard category substances were detected for such dangerous chemicals as chloroform, bromodi-chloromethane, trichloroethylene, 1,2-dichloroethane, tetrachloromethane, tetrachloroethylene, and arsenic.
Chlorine and chlorinated organic compounds, ammonium and chemicals that contain ammonium ion, iron, manganese, arsenic, nickel, and copper compounds, as well as microbiological contamination of water remain priority risk factors with the greatest contribution made into additional incidence associated with poor quality of drinking water taken from communal water supply systems. On average in the RF, in 2018 efficiency of Rospotrebnadzor activities estimated as per prevented GRP (gross regional product) losses caused by drinking water quality amounted to 70.1 ± 10.1 ruble per 1 ruble of costs. The highest values of the criterion were registered for the 3rd cluster (67.7 ruble per 1 ruble of costs); the lowest ones, for the 1st cluster (47.4 rubles per 1 ruble of costs).
Taking into account region peculiarities and different types of territories, it is necessary to develop specific regional programs and action plans aimed at preserving already obtained levels of population provision with qualitative drinking water, improving control and surveillance activities with wide implementation of risk-oriented approach, achieving targets fixed in national project and federal programs.
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Mel'tser A.V., Kiselev A.V., Erastova N.V. Hygienic substantiation of management decisions with the use of the integral assessment of drinking water on indices of chemical harmlessness and epidemiological safety. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 302–305.
- Kuznetsov K.S., Belkina A.A., Yadrova A.A. Assessment of the quality of drinking water supplied from centralized water supply systems in Moscow (Russia). Mezhdunarodnyi studencheskii nauchnyi vestnik, 2018, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 681–685.
- Kiku P.F., Kislitsyna L.V., Bogdanova V.D., Sabirova K.M. Hygienic evaluation of the quality of drinking water and risks for the health of the population of the primorye territory. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 94–101.
- Luzhetsky K.P., Ustinova O.Yu., Kleyn S.V., Vandysheva A.Yu., Vekovshinina S.A. Features of the development of metabolic violations in children population, residing in conditions of chronic peroral exposure of chlororganic compounds. Zdo-rov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2018, vol. 303, no. 6, pp. 40–44.
- Chetverkina K.V., Kleyn S.V., Chigvintsev V.M. Hygienic assessment of dynamics of chloroform exposition in perm region and it's impact on causing diseases of the blood, blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving immune mechanism among children. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 29–34.
- Averin A.N., Lyakhov V.P., Evtushenko S.A., Nuvakhov T.A. Discusses the importance of a national project in the field of the environment for the environmental well-being of the Russian people. Nauka i obrazovanie: khozyaistvo i ekonomika; predprinimatel'stvo; pravo i upravlenie, 2019, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 131–134.
- Popova A.Yu., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V. Experience of methodological support and practical implementation of the risk-oriented model of sanitary-epidemiological surveillance in 2014–2017. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 5–9.
- Zaitseva N.V., Kir'yanov D.A., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Tsinker M.Yu. Conceptual assignment and experience of the task solution for optimization of supervisory activities in the field of sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the population. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 10–15.
- Tulakin A.V., Plitman S.I., Ampleeva G.P., Pivneva O.S. Risk-orientirovannyi nadzor kak osnova obespecheniya be-zopasnosti pit'evoi vody: Problemy i vozmozhnosti [Risk-oriented surveillance as a basis for providing drinking water safety: Is-sues and opportunities]. Nauchno-prakticheskii zhurnal, 2018, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 28–31.
- Nefedova E.D., Khyamyalyainen M.M., Kovzharovskaya I.B., Shevchik G.V. Risk-oriented approach to the ar-rangement of drinking water quality control. Vodosnabzhenie i sanitarnaya tekhnika, 2018, no. 3, pp. 5–9.
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kir'yanov D.A., Sboev A.S., Andreeva E.E. Conceptual and methodological aspects of im-proving the effectiveness of control and supervisory activities based on hazard and risk assessment and estimation of harm to health of the population. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2014, no. 12, pp. 4–7.
- Kleyn S.V., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kir'yanov D.A. Analiz struktury i prostranstvennogo raspredeleniya potentsi-al'nykh riskov prichineniya vreda zdorov'yu pri osushchestvlenii khozyaistvennoi deyatel'nosti v sfere «Sbor i ochistka vody» [Analysis of structure and spatial distribution of potential health risks caused by economic activities involving water intake and purification]. Aktual'nye voprosy analiza riska pri obespechenii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya i zashchity prav potrebitelei: materialy VIII Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. In: A.Yu. Popova, N.V. Zaitseva eds., Perm, 2018, pp. 154–161.
- Sboev A.S., Vekovshinina S.A. To the problem of the assessment and increase of the effectiveness of control-supervisory arrangements providing Perm region population with clear drinking water. Zdorov'e sem'i – 21 vek, 2015, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 116–135.
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Kiryanov D.A. Methodological approaches for assessement performance and eco-nomical efficiency of the risk-oriented control and supervision of the Federal service on customers' rights protection and human well-being surveillance (Rospotrebnadzor). Health Risk Analysis, 2014, no. 1, pp. 4–13. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2014.1.01.eng
- Selyunina S.V., Zaitseva N.V., Tsinker M.Yu. Calculation of economic loss from population mortality associated with the negative effects of environmental factors on the territories of subjects of the Russian Federation with placed objects for storage and destruction of chemical weapons. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, vol. 270, no. 9, pp. 15–20.
- Selyunina S.V., Zaitseva N.V. Assessment of excess mortality and morbidity of the Kirov region as the main indicators characterizing the health damage from pollution. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2015, vol. 262, no. 1, pp. 13–16.
- Popova A.Yu., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kir'yanov D.A. Methodological approaches to the calculation of actual and prevented as a result of the control and supervisory activities, medical-demographic and economic 95 losses, associated with the negative impact of environmental factor. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no 7, pp. 95–99.
- Popova A.Yu., Bragina I.V., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Shur P.Z., Mitrokhin O.V., Goryaev D.V. On the scientific and methodological support of the assessment of the performance and effectiveness of the control and supervision activity of the Federal Service For Surveillance On Consumer Rights Protection And Human Wellbeing. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 5–9.
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Klen S.V., Kiryanov D.A. Methodological aspects and results of estimation of demographic loss associated with harmful influence of environment factors and preventive activities of Rospotrebnadzor in regions of the Russian Federation. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2018, vol. 301, no. 4, pp. 15–20.
- Zaitseva N.V., Kir'yanov D.A., Tsinker M.Yu., Kostarev V.G. Methodical approach to the investigation of reserves in the performance and management in the system of federal service for surveillance over consumer rights protection and human well-being (Rospotrebnadzor) as according to prevented health losses in the population of the Russian Federation. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2019, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 125–134.