Epidemiology of prostate cancer in Kursk Region
I.L. Kiselev, A.A. Pol'shin
Kursk Regional Clinical Oncology Hospital, 1Eliseeva Str., Kislino, Kursk District, 305524, Russian Federation
The paper dwells on analysis performed on 2,238 male patients with primary incidence and 999 patients who died due to prostate cancer over 2007–2016 in Kursk region.
Data were processed with "Statistica for Windows" software package (ver. 12.5). The authors applied intensive overall and sex-age (per 100 thousand males) parameters. Overall incidence and mortality were compared with the data collected in the Central Federal District. Sex-age incidence and mortality due to prostate cancer were compared with the same parameters in the Russian Federation as a whole. To test validity of discrepancy between data sets, Student's parametric test (t) was applied with 95 % significance. Incidence and mortality due to prostate cancer were predicted for a period up to 2021 with an autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA).
Prostate cancer occupies the fifth place among malignant neoplasms in Kursk region and the sixth place in the overall mortality structure. In Kursk region a growth in incidence with prostate cancer amounted to 100.3 % in 2016 against 2007; a growth in mortality, 85.6 %. By 2021 incidence with prostate cancer can reach 71.24, and mortality, 30.79. Incidence among males in Kursk region has grown due to an increase in number of male patients aged 60–64 and 80 and older. Mortality caused by prostate cancer has grown due to an increase in number of deceased males aged 50 and older.
In the nearest future Kursk region can take a leading place among other regions in the Central federal District as per incidence and mortality due to prostate cancer. The research results are being applied for planning and developing a regional target program "Oncology".
- Center M.M., Jemal A., Lortet-Tieulent J., Ward E., Ferlay J., Brawley O. [et al.]. International variation in prostate cancer incidence and mortality rates. Eur. Urol., 2012, vol. 61, pp. 1079–1092.
- Bashir M.N. Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev., 2015, vol. 16, pp. 5137–5141.
- Pakzad R., Rafiemanesh H., Ghoncheh M., Sarmad A., Salehiniya H., Hosseini S. [et al.]. Prostate cancer in Iran: trends in incidence and morphological and epidemiological characteristics. Asian Pac. J. Cancer Prev., 2016, vol. 17, pp. 839–843.
- Cook M.B., Rosenberg P.S., Mc Carty F.A., Wu M., King J., Eheman C. [et al.]. Racial disparities in prostate cancer incidence rates by census division in the United States, 1999–2008. Prostate, 2015, vol. 75, pp. 758–763.
- Somdyala N.I., Parkin D.M., Sithole N., Bradshaw D. Trends in cancer incidence in rural Eastern Cape Province; South Africa, 1998–2012. Int. J. Cancer, 2015, vol. 136, pp. 470–474.
- De Souza J.A., Hunt B., Asirwa F.C., Adebamowo C., Lopes G. Global health equity: cancer care outcome disparities in high-, middle-, and low-income countries. J. Clin. Oncol., 2016, vol. 34, pp. 6–13.
- Ferlay J., Soerjomataram I., Dikshit R., Eser S., Mathers C., Rebelo M. [et al.]. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: Sources, Methods and Major Patterns in GLOBOCAN-2012. International Journal of Cancer, 2015, vol. 136, pp. E359–E386. DOI: 10.1002/ijc.29210
- Wong M.C.S., Goggins W.B., Wang H.X., Fung F.D.H., Leung C., Wong S.Y.S., Fai Ng Ch., Joseph J.Y. Sung Global Incidence and Mortality for Prostate Cancer: Analysis of Temporal Patterns and Trends in 36 Countries. European Urology, 2016, vol. 70, pp. 862–874. DOI: 10.1016/j.eururo.2016.05.043
- Lee D.J., Mallin K., Graves A.J., Chang S.S., Penson D.F., Resnick M.J., Barocas D.A. Recent Changes in Prostate Cancer Screening Practices and Epidemiology. The Journal of Urology, 2017, vol. 198, pp. 1230–1240. DOI: 10.1016/j.juro.2017.05.074
- Kovshik V.S., Savrova O.B. Prostate cancer risk factor comparative analysis. Zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke: Materialy XIX mezhdunarodnogo kongressa (Spetsial'nyi vypusk). Moscow, 2017, pp. 135–137. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/sravnitelnyy-analiz-faktorov-riska-raz... (23.10.2018) (in Russian). DOI: 10.26787/nydha-2226-7417-2017-19-12
- Kostin A.A., Asratov A.T., Kul'chenko N.G., Tolkachev A.O. Prediction of prostate cancer by the general discriminant analysis models. Vestnik RUDN. Seriya Meditsina, 2015, no. 3, pp. 67–74 (in Russian).
- Kim S.P., Karnes R.J., Gross C.P., Meropol N.J., Van Houten H., Abouassaly R., Shah N.D. Contemporary National Trends of Prostate Cancer Screening Among Privately Insured Men in the United States. Urology, 2016, vol. 97, pp. 111–117. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27527411 (22.10.2018).
- Misra-Hebert A.D., Hu B., Klein E.A., Stephenson A., Taksler G.B., Kattan M.W., Rothberg M.B. Prostate cancer screening practices in a large, integrated health system: 2007–2014. BJU Int, 2017, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 257–264. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28139034 (22.10.2018).
- Falchook A.D., Chen R.C. Adjuvant vs. salvage radiotherapy for patients at high risk for recurrence after radical prostatectomy. Urol. Oncol., 2015, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 451–455. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26814331 (22.10.2018).
- Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2017 godu (zabolevaemost' i smertnost') [Malignant neoplasms in Russia in 2017 (morbidity and mortality)]. In: A.D. Kaprina, V.V. Starinskii, G.V. Petrova eds. Moscow, MNIOI im. P.A. Gertsena filial FGBU «NMITs radiologii» Minzdrava Rossii Publ., 2018, 250 p. (in Russian).
- Petrova N.G., Krotov K.Yu. Dynamics and forecast of morbidity and mortality from prostate cancer in St. Petersburg. Vestnik SPbGU. Meditsina, 2016, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 127–133 (in Russian).
- Petrova N.G., Krotov K.Yu., Balokhina S.A. Rak predstatel'noi zhelezy kak aktual'naya mediko-sotsial'naya problema [Prostate cancer as a pressing medical and social issue]. Vrach aspirant, 2014, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 83–89 (in Russian).
- Petrova G.V., Starinskii V.V., Gretsova O.P. Assessment of the quality of accounting of deaths of patients with malignant neoplasms in Russia. Issledovaniya i praktika v meditsine, 2016, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 70–74 (in Russian). DOI: 10.17709/2409-2231-2016-3-4-8
- Kuchuk S.A., Maksimov A.V. The problem of forming accurate statistical reporting of causes of death. Sudebnaya meditsina, 2016, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 17–19 (in Russian). DOI: 10.19048/2411-8729-2016-2-3-17-19
- Organizatsiya onkologicheskoi sluzhby v Rossii (metodicheskie rekomendatsii, posobiya dlya vrachei) [Organization of oncologic service in Russia (methodical guidelines and manuals for physicians)]. Part 2. In: V.I. Chissov, V.V. Starinskii, B.N. Kovalev eds. Moscow, 2007, 663 p. (in Russian).