Developing methodical approaches to managing risks of airborne infections with aerosol contagion
N.V. Shestopalov1,3, A. Yu. Skopin1,2, L.S. Fedorova1, T.V. Gololobova1,3
1Science Research Institute for Disinfectology of the Federal Service for Surveillance over Consumer Rights Protection and Human Well-being, 18 Nauchniy lane, Moscow, 117246, Russian Federation
2I.M. Sechenov's First Moscow State Medical University, bld. 2, 8 Trubetskaya Str., Moscow, 119991, Russian Federation
Russian Medical Academy for Continuing Professional Education of the RF Public Healthcare Ministry, bld. 1, 2/1 Barrikadnaya Str., Moscow, 125993, Russian Federation
A promising way to prevent spread of airborne infections with aerosol contagion and to reduce risks of healthcare-associated infections (HAI) is to preserve clean air inside premises (including medical organizations) via performing activities aimed at disinfecting air, ventilation and air-conditioning systems and via switching to up-to-date ecologically friendly disinfectants and their rotation.
Epidemiological hazards for patients and medical personnel in medical organizations are caused by pathogenic and opportunistic pathogenic microorganisms that can be found in the air inside premises and on various surfaces; such micro-organisms are bacteria in their vegetative form (including tuberculosis agents), viruses, fungi that cause candidosis and dermato-phytes, mold fungi, spore bacteria.
Aerosol disinfection is a well proven technique for treating the air inside premises in order to disinfect it and to reduce risks of infections spread; this technique involves transforming a disinfectant into a fine-disperse state with a specialized spraying device so that an aerosol is introduced into the air inside a premise.
To work out efficient air disinfection regimes that involve application of relevant equipment and disinfectants, it is necessary to apply such techniques and conditions that would secure the most efficient application of aerosol disinfection in practical conditions.
The authors have outlined basic organizational and methodical approaches to an objective assessment of how efficient and how safe aerosol disinfection technique is when it is applied in different premises, including medical organizations.
- Badamshina G.G., Ziatdinov V.B., Isaeva G.Sh., Kirillova M.A., Zemskova S.S. Analiz riska razvitiya infektsii, svyazannykh s okazaniem meditsinskoi pomoshchi [Analysis of risk for infections related to providing medical assistance]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu, 2017, no. 2, pp. 113–118 (in Russian).
- Galai V.S. Analiz biozagryaznenii vozdushnoi sredy v chistykh pomeshcheniyakh i otsenka riskov zarazheniya v nikh [Analysis of biocontaminations of air environment in clean rooms and estimation of risks of their contamination]. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo stroitel'nogo universiteta, 2017, vol. 12, no. 8 (107), pp. 912–916 (in Russian).
- Ziatdinov V.B., Badamshina G.G., Bakirov A.B., Zaripova A.Z., Isaeva G.Sh., Karimov D.O. Mikrobiologicheskii monitoring vozdushnoi sredy v meditsinskikh organizatsiyakh [Microbiological monitoring of the air environment in medical institutions]. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2016, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 86–90 (in Russian).
- Punchenko O.E., Kosyakova K.G., Vasil'eva N.V. Issledovanie mikrobioty vozdukha v mnogoprofil'nom statsionare Sankt-Peterburga [Investigation of the air microbiota in the multidisciplinary hospital of Saint Petersburg]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2014, no. 5, vol. 93, pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Curtis L.T. Prevention of hospital-acquired infections: review of non-pharmacological interventions. Journal of Hospital Infection, 2008, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 204–219.
- Eames I., Tang J.W., Li Y., Wilson P. Airborne transmission of disease in hospitals. Journal of the Royal Society. Interface, 2009, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 697–702.
- Jacob. J.T., Steinberg J.P., Kasali A., Zimring C., Denham M.E. The role of the hospital environment in preventing healthcare-associated infections caused by pathogens transmitted through the air. Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 2013, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 74–98.
- O sostoyanii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya v Rossiiskoi Federatsii v 2017 godu: Gosudarstvennyi doklad. – Moscow, Federal'naya sluzhba po nadzoru v sfere zashchity prav potrebitelya i blagopoluchiya cheloveka, 2018, 108 p. (in Russian).
- Morris C.E., Leyronas C., Nicot P.C. Movement of bioaerosols in the atmosphere and the consequences for climate and microbial evolution. Aerosol Science: Technology and Applications, 2014, pp. 393–415.
- Li Y., Qian H., Leung G.M., Tang J.W., Yang X. [et al.]. Role of ventilation in airborne transmission of infectious agents in the built environment – a multidisciplinary systematic review. Indoor Air, 2007, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 2–18.
- Wu. Y., Chen A., Luhung I., Gall E.T., Chang V.W.-C. [et al.]. Bioaerosol deposition on an air-conditioning cooling coil. Atmospheric Environment, 2016, vol. 144, pp. 257–265.
- Le Cann P., Bonvallot N., Glorennec P., Deguen S., Goeury C. [et al.]. Indoor environment and children’s health: recent developments in chemical, biological, physical and social aspects. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 2011, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 1–18.
- Isaeva G.Sh., Ziatdinov V.B., Gabidullina S.N. Gigienicheskii i mikrobiologicheskii monitoring vozdushnoi sredy v nachal'noi shkole [The hygienic microbiological monitoring of air in grade school]. Zdravookhranenie Rossiiskoi Federatsii, 2016, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 83–88 (in Russian).
- Nagolkin A.V., Volodina E.V., Akimkin V.G., Borisoglebskaya A.P., Safatov A.S. Obezzarazhivanie vozdukha v meditsinskikh organizatsiyakh: tendentsii razvitiya [Air disinfection in medical institutions: development trends]. Meditsinskii alfavit, 2015, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 44–49 (in Russian).
- Savenko S.M., Logvinov N.L. Kak effektivno prervat' vozdushno-kapel'nyi put' rasprostraneniya vnutribol'nichnykh infektsii – odnu iz naibolee rastushchikh problem sovremennogo zdravookhraneniya? Meditsinskii alfavit, 2017, vol. 3, no. 30 (327), pp. 21–22 (in Russian).
- Yuzbashev V.G., Abramova I.M. Tekhnologii obezzarazhivaniya I ochistki vozdukha – vazhnoe zveno v profilaktike tuberkuleza (analiticheskii obzor). Meditsinskii alfavit, 2012, vol. 1, no. 3, pp.12–18 (in Russian).
- Nagolkin A.V., Volodina E.V., Akimkin V.G., Borisoglebskaya A.P., Safatov A.S. Inaktivatsiya mikroorganizamov – glavnyi kriterii effektivnosti obezzarazhivaniya vozdukha v meditsinskikh organizatsiyakh [Microbial inactivation is a major criterion for the efficiency of air disinfection in health care facilities]. Epidemiologiya i infektsionnye bolezni. Aktual'nye voprosy, 2014, no. 6, pp. 57–62 (in Russian).
- Shestopalov N.V., Akimkin V.G., Fedorova L.S., Skopin A.Yu., Gol'dshtein Ya.A., Golubtsov A.A., Kireev S.G., Polikarpov N.A., Shashkovskii S.G. Issledovanie bakteritsidnoi effektivnosti obezzarazhivaniya vozdukha i otkrytykh poverkhnostei impul'snym ul'trafioletovym izlucheniem sploshnogo spektra [Research of germicidal efficiency of air and open surfaces disinfection by pulsed ultraviolet light of continuous spectrum]. Meditsinskii alfavit, 2017, vol. 2, no. 18, pp. 5–9 (in Russian).
- Popov D.A., Anuchina N.M. Microbiological efficacy of hospital environment decontamination by hydrogen peroxide aerosol. Biomedical Engineering, 2016, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 92–95.