Epidemiologic aspects related to tobacco smoking as risk factors for female workers employed in retail trade
T.N. Inglik, N.M. Chernyavskaya, L.B. Aybazova
Amur State University of Humanities and Pedagogy, 17/2 Kirova Str., Komsomolsk-na-Amure, 681000, Russian Federation
Tobacco smoking is widely spread among population and it results in unfavorable forecasts as regards population health; it is truly a vital social problem in Russia. We chose the following research object: female workers employed by a retail network which consisted of both grocery stores and catering outlets. Our research goal was to examine epidemiologic aspects related to tobacco smoking; the research was performed among workers via anonymous questioning. As a result, we detected that 60% of workers smoked. The share was even greater among women aged 40–50 as 77.8 % of them had this bad habit. We also detected that women in the examined sampling tended to start smoking at an earlier age than it had used to be; the trend is quite similar to those observed across Russia. We investigated how aware our respondents were of negative consequences tobacco smoking could lead to; the investigation revealed that non-smoking respondents were better aware that smoking was a hazardous and really bad habit than those who smoked. We examined peculiarities that we detected in prevalence of false ideas among women depending on their smoking behavior and age. Smoking women aged 30–40 had very little knowledge on the subject.
We assessed intensity and a type of smoking and revealed that only each fifth respondent smoked only occasionally while others smoked cigarettes in average or large numbers. 33.3 % of smoking women younger than 30, 14.3 % of women aged 40–50, and 10 % of women aged 30–40 had strong nicotine dependence. A desire to get some support in a complicated psycho-emotional situation was a prevailing motive for tobacco smoking among the respondents; it could be related both to their work activities and to weaker behavioral regulation. The research also revealed that non-smokers supported anti-smoking measures more actively.
- Tsitskiev E.R., Maiorova E.A. Analiz sostoyaniya i razvitiya trudovykh resursov torgovli [Labor resources in retail trade: analysis of current state and development]. Luchshaya nauchnaya stat'ya 2016: sbornik statei pobeditelei IV mezhdunarodnogo nauchno-prakticheskogo konkursa, Penza, 2016, pp. 203–208 (in Russian).
- Osnovnye factory riska neinfektsionnykh zabolevanii [Primary risk factors that cause non-infectious diseases]. Tsentr meditsinskoi profilaktiki: ofitsial'nyi sait. Available at: http://www.med-prof.ru/vm9182.html (18.06.2018) (in Russian).
- Sakharova G.M., Antonov N.S. Tabakokurenie i reproduktivnaya funktsiya zhenshchin [Tobacco smoking and women's reproductive function]. Russkii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2013, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 12–20 (in Russian).
- Bochkova L.G., Ershova M.V., Popovskii A.I. Tabachnyi sindrom novorozhdennogo [Neonatal tobacco syndrome]. Saratovskii nauchno-meditsinskii zhurnal, 2008, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 64–67 (in Russian).
- Lipanova L.L., Nasybullina G.M., Korotkova M.O. Rol' sem'ii obshcheobrazovatel'nykh uchrezhdenii v ukreplenii zdorov'ya i formirovanii obraza zhizni detei i podrostkov [The role of family and educational institution in health promotion and formation of children’s lifestyle]. Acta Biomedica Scientifica, 2013, no. 3–1, pp. 85–90 (in Russian).
- WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2015. Executive Summary. World Health Organization. 2015. Available at: http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2015/summary/ru/ (18.06.2018).
- Who global report on trends in prevalence of tobacco smoking 2015.World Health Organization. 2015. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/156262/1/9789241564922_eng.pdf (18.06.2018).
- Global Health Observatory data repository. World Health Organization. 2017. Available at: http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.1250?lang=en (18.06.2018).
- Kuramysova A. Kazakhstantsy stali men'she kurit' [People are now smoking less in Kazakhstan]. Kazakhstanskaya pravda: Respublikanskaya gazeta, 2015. Available at: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2015/0645/gazeta017.php (18.06.2018) (in Russian).
- V Belorussii muzhchiny stali kurit' men'she, a zhenshchiny – naoborot [In Belarus men now smoke less than they used too, but women, on the contrary, do it more]. Demoskop Weekly, 2015, no. 665–666. Available at: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2015/0665/panorm01.php (20.06.2018) (in Russian).
- Vozrastnye koeffitsienty tekushchego tabakokureniya, 2000, 2010 i 2025 gody [Age coefficients in current tobacco smoking, 2000, 2010, and 2025]. Demoskop Weekly, 2015, pp. 647–648. Available at: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2015/0647/biblio03.php (20.06.2018) (in Russian).
- Rusinova N.L., Ozerova O.V., Safronov V.V. Kurenie v Rossii: sotsial'nye razlichiya i tendentsii v 1990-e i 2000-e gg. [Smoking in Russia. Social differences and trends in 1990th to 2000th]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya, 2013, no. 3, pp. 104–113 (in Russian).
- Gnatyuk O.P., Dobrykh V.A., Yakovlev V.B. Vozrastnye, gendernye i sotsial'nye osobennosti tabakokureniya u zhitelei Priamur'ya [Age, gender and social features of tobacco smoke at inhabitants of the far east of Russia]. Byulleten' fiziologii i patologii dykhaniya, 2008, no. 29, 60 p. (in Russian).
- Khriptovich V.A. Oprosnik otnosheniya podrostkov k tabakokureniyu [A questionnaire applied to determine teenagers; attitudes towards smoking]. Minsk, RIVSh Publ., 2008, 44 p. (in Russian).
- Test Fagerstrema na opredelenie nikotinovoi zavisimosti [Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence]. Gurutestov.ru. Available at: http://www.gurutestov.ru/test/420/ (20.06.2018) (in Russian).
- Otsenka motivatsii k kureniyu (anketa D. Khorna) i otsenka stepeni motivatsii brosit' kurit'. Lektsii.Org. Available at: https://lektsii.org/7-72448.html (20.06.2018) (in Russian).
- Pugachev I.Yu., Dutov S.Yu., Osmanov E.M. Rasprostranennost' tabakokureniya sredi razlichnykh grupp naseleniya i puti ego profilaktiki [Tobacco smoking occurrence among various groups of population and preventive measures ways]. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Estestvennye i tekhnicheskie nauki, 2012, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 791–796 (in Russian).
- Inglik T.N., Chernyavskaya N.M., Aibazova L.B. Izuchenie motivatsii podrostkov k tabakokureniyu [Studying of motivation of teenagers to tobacco smoking]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2012, no. 6, 273 p. (in Russian).
- Zapret na kurenie [Prohibition to smoke]. Levanda-Tsentr: analiticheskii tsentr Yuriya Levandy. 2014. Available at: https://www.levada.ru/2014/07/09/zapret-na-kurenie/ (20.06.2018) (in Russian).