Assessment of risks caused by impacts exerted on a human body by nitrates contained in food products
I.P. Saldan, O.I. Shved, B.A. Balandovich, A.S. Nagornyak, O.N. Mazko, O.G. Makarova, S.P. Filippova, O.V. Zhukova, N.Yu. Potseluev
Altai State Medical University, 40 Lenina avenue, Barnaul, 656038, Russian Federation
Food products contamination with xenobiotics of various genesis exerts negative influence on population health. According to multiple research performed on various territories in Russia, nitrates are basic contaminants occurring in food products and they make a considerable contribution into higher morbidity with specific nosologic forms, notably pathologies which are primarily caused by factors related to nutrition.
The paper focuses on analysis of laboratory research data on nitrates concentrations in food products; the data were collected in Altai region and they are taken from research reports issued by certified test laboratories. The authors also performed their own laboratory research at the Institute for Occupational Hygiene and Industrial Ecology of the RF Public Healthcare Ministry; it allowed to conclude that increased nitrates contents in food products were a vital issue which requires further exami-nation and research performed with high precision laboratory research techniques.
We assessed hazard quotients (HQ) for nitrates occurring in vegetables and melons, individual carcinogenic risks (ICR), and population carcinogenic risks (PCR). Our hygienic assessment of nitrates concentrations in food products allowed us to reveal boundaries of risk properties variability.
It is necessary to work out recommendations how to reduce exposure of Altai region population to nitrates and to give grounds for priority approaches to administrative decision-making aimed at lowering population risks caused by consumption of nitrates-contaminated food products.
- Kislitsyna L.V. Otsenka soderzhaniya khimicheskikh kontaminant v produktakh pitaniya zhitelei Primorskogo kraya [Assessment of chemical contaminants concentrations in food products consumed by Primorskiy region population]. Zdorov'e. Meditsinskaya ekologiya. Nauka, 2011, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 36–42 (in Russian).
- Habermeyer M., Roth A., Guth S., Eisenbrand G., Diel P. [et al.] Nitrate and nitrite in the diet: how to assess their benefit and risk for human health. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 2015, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 106–128.
- Lucas Reijnders, Food safety, environmental improvement and economic efficiency in the Netherlands. British Food Journal, 2004, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 388–405.
- Poortmans J.R., Carpentier A., Gualano B. Nitrate supplementation and human exercise performance: too much of a good thing? Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, 2015, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 599–604. DOI: 10.1097/MCO.0000000000000222.
- Onishchenko G.G., Zaitseva N.V., MayI.V. [et al.]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu v strategii gosudarstvennogo sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya: monografiya [Health risk analysis in the strategy of state social and economical development: mon-ograph]. In: G.G. Onishchenko, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Moscow, Perm, Perm National Research Polytechnic University Publ., 2014, 738 p. (in Russian).
- Ximenes M.I., Rath S., Reyes F.G. Polarographic determination of nitrate in vegetables. Talanta, 2000, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 49–56.
- Shur P.Z., Kir'yanov D.A., Atiskova N.G., Chigvintsev V.M., Khrushcheva E.V. Obosnovanie dopustimykh urovnei soderzhaniya nitratov v rastenievodcheskoi produktsii po kriteriyam riska zdorov'yu [Justificaion of acceptable nitrate levels in crop product using health risk criteria]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2013, vol. 248, no. 11, pp. 47–48 (in Russian).
- Lazarev V.V. Problema zabolevaemosti zlokachestvennymi novoobrazovaniyami v Omskoi oblasti [Morbidity with malignant neoplasms in Omsk region]. Bezopasnost' gorodskoi sredy: materialy mezhregional'noi nauchno-prakticheskoi kon-ferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem [Urban environment safety: materials of theoretical and practical conference with inter-national participation]. 2016, pp. 209–211(in Russian).
- Deryagina V.P., Krivosheeva L.V., Savluchinskaya L.A., Golubeva I.S., Ryzhova N.I. Mekhanizmy realizatsii mod-ifitsiruyushchego deistviya nitritov na kantserogenez [Modifying impacts exerted by nitrates on carcinogenesis: implementation mechanisms]. Novye informatsionnye tekhnologii v meditsine, biologii, farmakologii i ekologii: Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii [New information technologies in medicine, biology, pharmacology and ecology: International conference materials]. In: E.L. Gloriozova ed. Gursuf–Yalta, 2017, pp. 185–191 (in Russian).
- Boev V.M., Kuksanov V.F., Bystrykh V.V. Khimicheskie kantserogeny sredy obitaniya i zlokachestvennye no-voobrazovaniya [Chemical carcinogens in the environment and malignant neoplasms]. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 2002, 175 p. (in Russian).
- Suleimanova N.D. Ekologicheskie aspekty zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovanii zhenskikh polovykh organov [Envi-ronmental aspects of malignant neoplasms of female genital organs]. Vestnik Dagestanskoi gosudarstvennoi meditsinskoi akademii, 2016, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 75–79 (in Russian).
- Davydov M., Demidov L., Polyakov B. Sovremennoe sostoyanie i problemy onkologii [Oncology: contemporary state and issues]. Vrach, 2006, no. 13, pp. 3–7 (in Russian).
- Khomov Yu.A., Fomin A.N. Kapillyarnyi elektroforez kak vysokoeffektivnyi analiticheskii metod (obzor literatury) [Capillary electrophoresis as the high effective analytical method (review of the literature)]. Sovremennye problem nauki I obra-zovaniya, 2012, no. 5, p. 349 (in Russian).
- Velikinac I., Cudina O., Janković I., Agbaba D., Vladimirov S. Comparison of capillary zone electrophoresis and high performance liquid chromatography methods for quantitative determination of ketoconazole in drug formulations. Farmaco, 2004, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 419–424. DOI: 10.1016/j.farmac.2003.11.019.
- Quaglia Giovanna M. [et al.]. Determination of fenticonazole and its impurities by capillary electrophoresis and high performance liquid chromatography. J. of High Resolution Chromatography, 2001, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 392–396.
- Potreblenie produktov pitaniya v domashnikh khozyaistvakh Altaiskogo kraya [Food products consumption in Altai region households]. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoi statistiki po Altaiskomu krayu i Respublike Altai: Ofitsial'nyi sait. Available at: http://akstat.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_ts/akstat/resources/929513804e¬9856abb99cbba638e2bbf1/%
D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80.%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4.%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F.htm (10.02.2018) (in Russian).