On determination of reference chloroform content in children's blood
Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
The author showed that consumption of chlorinated drinking water from centralized water supply systems with chloroform concentration being equal to 0.49 mg/l caused unacceptable non-carcinogenic risk (HI being up to 3.13) of functional disorders in the liver, kidneys, central nervous system, hormonal system, as well as the circulatory system. Assessment of carcinogenic health risk born by children revealed that individual carcinogenic risk was equal to 1.64×10–5 under such concentration; this value corresponds to the upper limit of acceptable risk. Morbidity analysis revealed that children who consumed chlorinated drinking water from water supply systems suffered from pathologies in the nervous system, digestive organs, urogenital and endocrine systems authentically more frequently. The results coincided with those obtained in non-carcinogenic health risk assessment. Epidemiologic assessment of children morbidity revealed an authentic cause-and-effect relationship between oral exposure to chloroform introduced with drinking water and diseases in critical organs and systems (according to Guide Р. 184.108.40.2060-04). The calculations showed that if population consumed drinking water with chloroform, morbidity among then could possibly grow by 10.41 times against population who didn't consume chlorinated water. The author performed in-depth research on population health via examining changes in clinical and laboratory markers that described functional disorders in critical organs and systems caused by oral introduction of chloroform. Basing on the obtained data, the author modeled 34 mathematical relationships "chloroform contents in blood – clinical and laboratory marker of a response" and chose 3 most relevant models that reflected changes in clinical and laboratory markers in accordance with chloroform contents in blood. They were an increase in alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase which meant there were functional disorders in the liver, and a decrease in hemoglobin contents that was a sign of circulatory system disorders. Reference chloroform content in blood was fixed as per limiting hazard index principle and was equal to 0.0004 mg/dm3 that corresponded to aspartate aminotransferase marker and confirmed that the liver was a critical organ under oral introduction of chloroform.
- Tul'skaya E.A., Rakhmanin Yu.A., Zholdakova Z.I. Obosnovanie pokazatelei bezopasnosti dlya kontrolya za prime-neniem khimicheskikh sredstv obezzarazhivaniya vody i neobkhodimosti garmonizatsii ikh s mezhdunarodnymi trebovaniyami [Justification of both safety indices for control over the use of chemicals for water disinfection and need to harmonize them with international requirements]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2012, no. 6, pp. 88–91 (in Russian).
- Miftakhova K.R., P'yankova O.G., Rudakova L.V., Glushankova I.S. Khlorirovanie kak osnovnoi metod obezzara-zhivaniya pit'evoi vody [Chlorination is the main method of disinfection of drinking water]. Ekologiya i nauchno-tekhnicheskii progress. Urbanistika, 2015, vol. 1, pp. 233–242 (in Russian).
- Malkova M.A. Nekotorye problemy obrazovaniya trigalogenmetanov pri khlorirovanii pit'evoi vody [Some problems of formation of trigalogenmetans in chlorinated drinking water].Vestnik molodogo uchenogo UGNTU, 2016, no. 3, pp. 68–74 (in Russian).
- Bahir V.M. Dezinfektsiya pit'evoi vody: problemy i reshen [Disinfection of drinking water: problems and solutions]. Pit'evaya voda, 2003, no. 1, pp. 13–20 (in Russian).
- Onishhenko G.G., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V. [et al.]. Health risk analysis in the strategy of state social and economical development. In: G.G. Onishhenko, N.V. Zaitseva eds. Perm', Publishing house of the Perm National Research Polytechnic Uni-versity, 2014, 738 p. (in Russian).
- P'yankova O.G., Kuchukbaeva A.V., Glushankova I.S., Rudakova L.V. Analiz faktorov, vliyayushchikh na obrazovanie khloroforma v protsesse vodopodgotovki [Analysis of factors that influence formation of chloroform during water treatment]. Modernizatsiya i nauchnye issledovaniya v transportnom komplekse, 2015, no. 1, pp. 283–287 (in Russian).
- Vozhdaeva M.YU., Cypysheva L.G., Kantor L.I., Kantor E.A. Vliyanie hlorirovaniya na sostav ogranichenno-letuchih organicheskih zagryaznitelej vody [Influence of chlorination on the composition of partly volatile organic contaminants of water]. Zhurnal prikladnoi khimii, 2004, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 952–955 (in Russian).
- Mazaev V.T., Korolev A.A., Shlepnika T.G. Kommunal'naya gigiena [Communal Hygiene]. In: V.T. Mazaeva ed. The 2rd ed. Moscow, GEOTARMedia Publ., 2005, 304 p. (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Mikhailova R.I., Kir'yanova L.F., Sevost'yanova E.M., Ryzhova I.N., Savronskii A.Yu. Aktual'nye problemy obespecheniya naseleniya dobrokachestvennoi pit'evoi vodoi i puti ikh resheniya [Important problems of high quality drinking water supply, and the ways of their solution]. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii meditsinskikh nauk, 2006, no. 4, pp. 9–17 (in Russian).
- Tumasonis C.F., McMartin D.N., Bush B. Toxicity of chloroform and bromodichloromethane when administered over a lifetime in rats. Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology, 1987, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 55–64.
- Condie L.W., Smallwood C.L., Laurie R.D. Comparative renal and hepatotoxicity of halomethanes: Bromodichloro-methane, bromoform, chloroform, dibromochloromethane and methylene chloride. Drug Chemical Toxicology, 1983, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 563–578.
- De Salva S., Volpe A., Leigh G. [et al.]. Long-term safety studies of a chloroform-containing dentifrice and mouth-rinse in man. Food and Cosmetics Toxicology, 1975, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 529–532. DOI: 1016/0015-6264(75)90007-3
- Roe F.J.C., Palmer A.K., Worden A.N. Safety evaluation of toothpaste containing chloroform. I. Long-term studies in mice. Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology, 1979, vol. 2, pp. 799–819.
- Munson A.E., Sain L.E., Sanders V.M. [et al.]. Toxicology of organic drinking water contaminants: Trichloromethane, bromodichloromethane, dibromochloromethane, and tribromomethane. Environmental Health Perspectives, 1982, vol. 46, pp. 117–126. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.8246117
- Iksanova T.I., Malysheva A.G., Rastyannikov E.G., Egorova N.A., Krasovskii G.N., Nikolaev M.G. Gigienicheskaya otsenka kompleksnogo deistviya khloroforma pit'evoi vody [Hygienic evaluation of the combined effect of portable water chlo-roform]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2006, no. 2, pp. 8–12 (in Russian).
- Chernichenko I.A., Balenko N.V., Litvichenko O.N. Kantserogennaya opasnost' khloroforma i drugikh pobochnykh produktov khlorirovaniya pit'evoi vody [Carcinogenic hazard of chloroform and other drinking water chlorination by-products]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2009, no. 3, pp. 28–33 (in Russian).
- Sankpal U.T., Pius H., Khan M. [et al.]. Environmental factors in causing human cancers: emphasis on tumorigenesis. Tumor Biology, 2012, vol. 33, pp. 1265–1274. DOI: 10.1007/s13277-012-0413-4
- Sciacca S., Conti G.O. Mutagens and carcinogens in drinking water. Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Me-tabolism, 2009, vol. 2, pp. 157–162.
- Prokopov V.A., Gulenko S.V. Rol' khlorirovannoi pit'evoi vody v razvitii onkologicheskoi patologii [Role of chlo-rinated drinking water quality in cancer pathology development]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda, 2013, no. 22, pp. 85–59 (in Russian).
- Mikhailova D.L., Kol'dibekova Yu.V. Otsenka vozdeistviya khloroforma pri postuplenii v organizm s pit'evoi vodoi na sostoyanie zdorov'ya detei [Children health assessement from effect of chloroform entering in the organism with potable water]. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya, 2012, no. 2, pp. 85–88 (in Russian).
- U.S. EPA. Health Risk Assessment/Characterization Of The Drinking Water Disinfection Byproduct Chloroform. Prepared by Toxicology Excellence for Risk Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, under Purchase Order No. 8W-0767-NTLX. Washington, 1998, 52 p. Available at: https://www.tera.org/Publications/Chloroform.PDF (05.06.2018).
- Dushkin S.S., Blagodarnaya G.I. Razrabotka nauchnykh osnov resursosberegayushchikh tekhnologii podgotovki ekologicheski chistoi pit'evoi vody: monografiya [Scientific substantiation for resource-saving technologies that are applied to ob-tain ecologically clean drinking water: Monograph]. Khar'kov, KhNAGKh Publ., 2009, 94 p. (in Russian).
- Zemlyanova M.A., Peskova E.V. Otsenka narushenii biokhimicheskikh pokazatelei funktsii TsNS i pecheni u detei, potreblyayushchikh vodu s povyshennym soderzhaniem khlororganicheskikh soedinenii [Assessment of violations of biochemical indicators of central nervous system and liver in children consuming water with high content of organochlorine compounds]. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya, 2015, no. 3, pp. 259–263 (in Russian).
- Desiderio D.M., Nibbering N.M. White's Handbook of Chlorination and Alternative Disinfectants: Fifth Edition. New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010, 36 p. DOI:10.1002/9780470561331
- Charles P. On the Origin of Risk Relativism. Epidemiology, 2010, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 3–9. DOI: 10.1097/EDE.0b013e3181c30eba