Indicators which are applied when assessing effects on a body exerted by nitrates and n-nitrosodimethylamine introduced with drinking water
T.V. Nurislamovа 1,3, O.O. Sinitsyna2, O.A. Mal'tseva3
1 Federal Scientific Centerfor Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2 All-Russian Research Institute of Railway Hygiene, Bldg. 1, 1Pakgauznoe Shosse Str., Moscow, 125438, Russian Federation
3 Perm National Research Polytechnic University, 29 Komsomolskiy avenue, Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
The authors comparatively assessed N-Nitrosodimethylamine (N-NDMA) contents in blood samples taken from children who consumed drinking water with increased nitrates and N-NDMA concentrations and in blood samples taken from children who consumed drinking water which fully corresponded to the existing hygienic standards; the article dwells on the results of this comparative assessment. We detected authentic discrepancies (р<0.005) in N-NDMA contents between blood samples taken from children from the focus group (0.0045 ± 0.0009 mg/dm3) and the reference one (0.003 ± 0.0006 mg/dm3). We revealed that free-radical oxidation mechanisms were activated in children from the focus group who were exposed to
N-NDMA. Lipids hydroperoxidation content in blood serum was proved to be 1.6 times higher in children from the focus group than in those from the reference one. When N-NDMA was detected in blood of children from the focus group, they ran 1.73 times higher risks of damages to their cells membranes.
Our assessment of antioxidant protection revealed that glutathione-S-transferase became less active, B12 vitamin content went down, and glutathione peroxidase increased in children from the focus group against those from the reference group; all these parameters were 1.2–1.7 times different between the groups (р = 0.000–0.030). The children from the focus group also ran 2.91 times higher risks of an increase in glutathione peroxidase content.
We detected an authentic cause-and effect relation between an increase in IgG to N-NDMA and growing N-NDMA concentrations in blood (R2 = 0.958, at p = 0.001). Risk of changes occurring in this parameter of humoral immunity was 1.3 times higher in the focus group.
The results of the experimental research allowed us to reveal an increase in fetal proteins (S-CEA and CA 199) contents detected in blood serum of children from the focus group against those from the reference one; the contents were 2.7 and 3.9 times higher correspondingly (р = 0.010–0.023). This increase could be a sign of ongoing processes which characterized tissue proliferation; it could also become a mechanism of uncontrolled cellular proliferation.
The performed research allowed us to substantiate and fix the following biological markers of the effects: an increase in IgG to N-NDMA and in glutathione peroxidase, ASAT activity, and total bilirubin level which can be applied in risk assessment and in giving grounds for permissible concentrations of these toxic compounds in blood.
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Stekhin A.A., Yakovleva G.V. Strukturno-energeticheskie izmeneniya vody i ee biologicheskaya aktivnost' [Structural and energy changes in water and its biological activity]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2007, no. 5, pp. 34–36 (in Russian).
- Bastrakov S.I., Nikolaev A.P. Otsenka riska kachestva pit'evoi vody dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya [Assessment of population health risks related to drinking water quality]. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2013, no. 3, pp. 9–10.
- Zaki A., Ait Chaoui A., Talibi A., Derouiche A.F., Aboussaouira T., Zarrouck K., Chait A., Himmi T. Impact of nitrate intake in drinking water on the thyroid gland activity in male rat. Toxicol Lett., 2004, vol. 147, no 1, pp. 27–33
- Til H.P., Falke H.E., Kuper C.F., Willems M.I. Evaluation of the oral toxicity of potassium nitrite in a 13-week drinking-water study in rats. Food Chem Toxicol., 1988, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 851–859.
- Biomarkers and human biomonitoring. Children's Health and the Environment WHO Training Package for the Health Sector. World Health Organization, 2011. Available at: www.who.int/ceh (19.03.2018).
- Onishchenko G.G., Zaitseva N.V., Zemlyanova M.A. Gigienicheskaya indikatsiya posledstvii dlya zdorov'ya pri vnesh-nesredovoi ekspozitsii khimicheskikh faktorov [Indication and Assessment of Health Effects Caused by Environmental Chemical Exposure]. In: G.G. Onishchenko ed. Perm', Knizhnyi format Publ., 2011, 532 p. (in Russian).
- Nurislamova T.V., Ulanova T.S., Popova N.A., Mal'tseva O.A. Sovremennye analiticheskie tekhnologii pri opredelenii vysokotoksichnykh N-nitrozoaminov v krovi [Modern analytical techniques in the determination of highly n-nitrosamines in biological fluids (blood)]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 84–89 (in Russian).
- Yaroshenko D.V., Kartsova L.A. Matrichnyi effekt i sposoby ego ustraneniya v bioanaliticheskikh metodikakh, ispol'zuyushchikh khromato-mass-spektrometriyu [Matrix effect and methods for its elimination in bioanalytical methods using chromatography-mass spectrometry]. Zhurnal analiticheskoi khimii, 2014, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 351 (in Russian).
- Krupina N.A., Gushchenko A.V., R Pashovkina.N., Krasnova R.R., Kaletina N.I. Primenenie tverdofaznoi ekstraktsii pri issledovanii proizvodnykh benzodiazepina v biologicheskikh ob"ektakh na primere fenazepama [Application of solid phase extraction in research performed on benzodiazepine derivatives in biological objects (on the example of phenazepam)]. Perspektivy razvitiya i sovershenstvovaniya sudebno- meditsinskoi nauki i praktiki: Materialy VI Vserossiiskogo s"ezda sudebnykh medikov [Development prospects of forensic theory and practice: Materials collected at the 6th Russian conference of forensic pathologists]. Moscow, Tyumen', 2005, pp. 175–178 (in Russian).
- Glants S. Mediko-biologicheskaya statistika / pod red. N.E. Buzikashvili i soavt [Medical-biological statistics]. Moscow, Praktika Publ., 1998, 459 p. (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Dolgikh O.V., Tyrykina T.I., M.A. Zemlyanova Diagnostika sensebilizatsii k formal'degidu [Diagnostics of sensitization to formaldehyde]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2000, no. 6, pp. 44–46 (in Russian).
- Kamilov R.F., Khanov T.V., Kudryavtsev V.P., Shakirov D.F. Svobodnoradikal'noe okislenie i antioksidantnaya zashchita pri vozdeistvii organicheskikh rastvoritelei v proizvodstve [Free radical oxidation and antioxidant defense upon exposure to organic solvents during production]. Klinicheskaya laboratornaya diagnostika, 2009, no. 1, pp. 9–13 (in Russian).
- Fletcher R., Fletcher S., Vagner E. Klinicheskaya epidemiologiya. Osnovy dokazatel'noi meditsiny [Clinical epidemi-ology. Basics of evidence-based medicine]. Moscow, Media Sfera Publ., 1998, 352 p. (in Russian).
- Aycicek А., Iscan А., Erel О., Akcali M., Ocak A.R. Oxidant and antioxidant parameters in the treatment of meningitis. Pediatr. Neurol., 2007, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 117–120.
- The Ethical aspects of Nanomedicine, Proc. of Roundtable Debate. Brussels, EGE Publ., 2006, 118 p.