The RF federal law “On chemical safety” as a tool for minimizing population health risks caused by dealing with hazardous chemical wastes
M.V. Pushkareva1,2, M.P. Shevyreva1,3, N.N. Goncharuk1, I.V. May 4, A.M. Andrishunas4
1 Centre for Strategic Planning and Management of Biomedical Health Risks, Russian Ministry of Health, Bldg. 1, 10 Pogodinskaya Str., Moscow, 119121, Russian Federation
2 Perm National Research Polytechnic University, 29 Komsomolskiy avenue, Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
3 I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, build. 2, 8 Trubetskaya Str., Moscow, 119991, RussianFederation
4 Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
The article contains information on hazardous chemical wastes, reasons that cause their occurrence and accumulation in the environment as well as issues related to accumulation of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in the environmental objects. The authors outline specific features of POPs and their possible influence on the environment and a human body; they also dwell on priority activities accomplished in the RF in relation to POPs after Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollution was ratified. Provisions of international law in the sphere of providing chemical safety are being consolidated now and operating bodies of Basel, Rotterdam, and Stockholm Conventions interact with each other in order to fix concentrations for chemicals which are persistent organic pollutants and to determine their low contents in wastes. The European Union countries and Canada have submitted their proposals on concentrations of 21 various chemicals in wastes for consideration by all the concerned parties. Scientific validity of the proposed concentrations has been analyzed; the analysis results are given in the article. Given the hazards caused by chemicals wastes that contain POPs for people and the environment, the authors suppose that additional research should be performed on substantiation of POPs safe concentrations in wastes. Taking into account national security and common provisions of international laws related to solving global, national, and regional tasks, the authors note that it is necessary to update legislation on state regulation in the sphere of providing chemical safety; they also give grounds and outline conceptual approaches to creation of the Federal Law "On chemical safety". The article gives a basic idea of this law; its purpose; an object of its regulation; people or economic entities whose activities are subject to its force; a place this law, when passed, is going to have in the RF federal legislation and a system of international agreements that are ratified by the RF. It should be noted that when the Federal Law "On chemical safety" is adopted, it will allow to reduce negative effects produced by hazardous chemical wastes on population and the environment and will have both medical and social-economic outcomes.
- Popova E.I. Soderzhanie tyazhelykh metallov v pochve i rastitel'nosti na territorii khraneniya tverdykh bytovykh ot-khodov [Heavy metals in soil and vegetation storage area solid waste]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2015, no. 5, pp. 652 (in Russian).
- Yanturin S.I., Khisametdinova A.Yu., Khisametdinov F.Z. Soderzhanie rtuti v gruntovykh vodakh v okrestnostyakh sela Semenovskoe Baimakskogo raiona respubliki Bashkortostan [The content of mercury in groundwater in the vicinity of the village of Semenovskoye in the Baimaksky district of the Republic of Bashkortostan]. Ilishevskie chteniya: Sbornik materialov I Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. In: R.R. Baizigitova, ed. Sibai, 2017, pp. 161 (in Russian).
- Shilova Yu.O., Vitkovskaya S.E. Otsenka vozdeistviya poligona tverdykh bytovykh otkhodov na soderzhanie tyazhelykh metallov v pochve i rasteniyakh [Assessment of the impact of the solid domestic waste landfill on the content of heavy metals in soil and plants]. Tendentsii razvitiya agrofiziki: ot aktual'nykh problem zemledeliya i rastenievodstva k tekhnologiyam budushchego: materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi 85-letiyu Agrofizicheskogo NII. St. Petersburg, 2017, pp. 536–539 (in Russian).
- Hussain R., Lu K., Chao Z., Xiaofeng Z. Trace elements concentration and distributions in coal and coal mining wastes and their environmental and health impacts in Shaanxi. Environmental Science and Pollution Research China, 2018, vol. 25, no. 20, рр. 19566–19584.
- Rocco C., Seshadri B., Adamo P., Bolan N.S., Mbene K., Naidu R. Impact of waste-derived organic and inorganic amendments on the mobility and bioavailability of arsenic and cadmium in alkaline and acid soils. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2018, vol. 25, no. 26, рр. 25896–25905.
- Dagvadorzh M., Chonokhuu S., Davaasuren D., Dorzhsuren B., Borkhuu S. Soderzhanie tyazhelykh metallov v poch-vakh poligona po zakhoroneniyu otkhodov v Ulan-Batore [The content of heavy metals in the soil of the landfill for waste disposal in Ulan-Bator]. Molodoi uchenyi, 2016, no. 4, pp. 169–181 (in Russian).
- Grebeneva O.V., Sakiev K.Z., Otarbaeva M.B., Zhanbasinova N.M. Problemy zagryazneniya pochvy tverdymi otkho-dami promyshlennykh predpriyatii v Kazakhstane [Problems of soils pollution with solid industrial waste in Kazakhstan]. Med-itsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2014, no. 8, pp. 9–13 (in Russian).
- Nie E., Zheng G., Shao Z., Yang J., Chen T. Emission characteristics and health risk assessment of volatile organic compounds produced during municipal solid waste composting. Waste Management, 2018, no. 79, рр. 188–195.
- Petrovic M., Sremacki M., Radonic J., Obrovski B., Miloradov M. Health risk assessment of PAHs, PCBs and OCPs in atmospheric air of municipal solid waste landfill in Novi Sad. Serbia. Science of The Total Environment, 2018, vol. 644, pp. 1201–1206. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.008
- Turetskaya I.V., Potaturkina-Nesterova N.I., Shrol'O.Yu., Panteleev S.V., Nemova I.S. Otsenka zagryazneniya tya-zhelymi metallami poverkhnostnykh vod ozera v raione poligona [The estimation of open lake water pollution with heavy metals in the area of industrial waste burial]. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya, 2012, no. 3–3, pp. 539–541 (in Russian).
- Kleyn S.V., Vekovshinina S.A., Balashov S.Yu., Khoroshavin V.A., Ukhabov V.M. Gigienicheskaya otsenka kantser-ogennogo riska zdorov'yu naseleniya, prozhivayushchego v zone vliyaniya mest skladirovaniya otkhodov gorno-obogatitel'nogo kombinata [Hygienic evaluation of the carcinogenic risk to health of the population living in the zone of the exposure to places of the burial storage of waste of mining and processing enterprises]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2018, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 10–15 (in Russian).
- Hsieh Y.-K., Chen W.-S., Zhu J., Wu Y.-J., Huang Q. Health risk assessment and correlation analysis on PCDD/FS in the fly ash from a municipal solid waste incineration plant. Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 2018, vol. 18, no. 3, рр. 734–748.
- Yushin V.V. faktory riska zdorov'yu naseleniya ot vozdeistviya vybrosov poligona TKO g. Kurska [Risk factors to the health of the population from the impact of the emissions from the Kursk landfill site]. Pokolenie budushchego: vzglyad molodykh uchenykh: sbornik nauchnykh statei 4-i mezhdunarodnoi molodezhnoi nauchnoi konferentsii: v 3 tomakh, Moscow, 2016, pp. 154–157 (in Russian).
- Barquero J.I., Rojas S., Esbrí J.M., García-Noguero E.M., Higueras P. Factors influencing mercury uptake by leaves of stone pine (Pinus pinea L.) in Almadén (Central Spain). Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2017, рр. 1–9. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-017-0446-8
- Rumak V.S., Umnova N.V., Levenkova E.S., Turbabina K.A., Pivovarov E.A., Shelepchikov A.A., Pavlov S.D. Di-oksiny v srede i organizme zhivotnykh vblizi poligona otkhodov proizvodstva i potrebleniya: k metodologii otsenki riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya [Dioxins in the environment and the body of animals near landfill: to the methodology of public health risk evaluation]. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2017, no. 10, pp. 9–15 (in Russian).
- Luzhetsky K.P., Kleyn S.V., Vekovshinina S.A., Tsinker M.Yu. Faktory riska narushenii lipidnogo obmena u nase-leniya, prozhivayushchego v usloviyakh mnogosredovoi ekspozitsii kadmiem i mysh'yakom [Risk factors of lipid metabolism disorders in residents of multi-environmental exposure to cadmium and arsenic]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2016, no. 12, pp. 25–29 (in Russian).
- Zemlyanova M.A., Tarantin A.V. Narusheniya belkovogo profilya cheloveka v usloviyakh vozdeistviya tyazhelykh metallov [Violations of human protein profile in heavy metals exposure]. Ekologiya cheloveka, 2012, no. 7, pp. 7–14 (in Russian).
- Amirova Z.K., Speranskaya O.A. Novye stoikie organicheskie supertoksikanty i ikh vliyanie na zdorov'e cheloveka [New persistent organic supertoxicants and their effect on human health]. Moscow, 2016, 169 p. (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kir'yanov D.A. Metodicheskie podkhody k raschetu fakticheskikh i predot-vrashchennykh mediko-demograficheskikh i ekonomicheskikh poter', assotsiirovannykh s negativnym vozdeistviem faktorov sredy obitaniya [Methodological approaches to the calculation of actual and prevented as a result of the control and supervisory activities, medical-demographic and economic 95 losses, associated with the negative impact of environmental factors]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 95–99 (in Russian).
- Ryzhakov S.A., Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Alekseev V.B., Podluzhnaya M.Ya., Kir'yanov D.A. Makroekonomicheskii analiz poter' zdorov'ya, veroyatnostno obuslovlennykh emissiyami zagryaznyayushchikh veshchestv v atmosfernyi vozdukh [Macroeconomic analysis of health losses probabilistically caused by emissions of pollutants into the atmosphere]. Permskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2009, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 139–143 (in Russian).
- Yastrebov A.E. Pravovye aspekty ekonomicheskogo regulirovaniya v oblasti obrashcheniya s otkhodami proizvodstva i potrebleniya [Legal aspects of economic regulations of production and consumption waste management]. Severo-Kavkazskii yuridicheskii vestnik, 2016, no. 2, pp. 85–91 (in Russian).
- Kozhevnikov O.A. Sovershenstvovanie sudebnoi praktiki po voprosam obrashcheniya s otkhodami proizvodstva i potrebleniya kak odna iz zadach "obnovlennogo" Verkhovnogo Suda RF [Improvement of judicial practice on the management of production and consumption wastes as one of the tasks of the "renewed" Supreme Court of the Russian Federation]. Adminis-trativnoe i munitsipal'noe pravo, 2014, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 975–980 (in Russian).
- Ostrovskii N.V. Evolyutsiya federal'nogo zakona "Ob otkhodakh proizvodstva i potrebleniya" [Evolution of the federal law "on production and consumption waste"]. Voprosy upravleniya, 2015, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 170–176 (in Russian).
- Stepanova I.P., Krasil'nikova S.D. Otsenka kantserogennogo riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya v rezul'tate vozdeistviya khimicheskikh veshchestv pri khranenii tverdykh gal'vanicheskikh otkhodov [Assessment of the carcinogenic risk for public health as a result of exposure to chemicals in the storage of solid galvanic waste]. Uchenye zapiski Komsomol'skogo-na-Amure gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta, 2013, vol. 1, no. 2 (14), pp. 111–116 (in Russian).
- Rastanina N.K., Krupskaya L.T., Golubev D.A., Cherentsova A.A. Otsenka riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya, svyazannogo s tekhnogennym zagryazneniem ot otkhodov byvshego gornogo predpriyatiya "Khrustal'nenskii GOK" [Evaluation of health risk due to pollution with waste of the abandoned khrustalnensky mining and processing plant]. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal), 2017, no. 12, pp. 88–95 (in Russian).
- Vekovshinina S.A., Kleyn S.V., Khankhareev S.S., Makarova L.V., Madeeva E.V., Boloshinova A.A. Otsenka kachestva sredy obitaniya i riskov dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya g. Zakamenska – territorii dlitel'nogo khraneniya otkhodov dzhidinskogo vol'framo-molibdenovogo kombinata [The assessment of environmental quality and risks for thepopulation of the city of Zakamensk – territory of long-term storage of waste of dzhidinsky tungsten-molybdenum combine]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2017, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 15–20 (in Russian).
- Rakhmanin Yu.A., Sinitsina O.O. Sostoyanie i aktualizatsiya zadach po sovershenstvovaniyu nauchno-metodologicheskikh i normativno-pravovykh osnov v oblasti ekologii cheloveka i gigieny okruzhayushchei sredy [Status and actualization of tasks to improve the scientific-methodological and regulatory frameworks in the field of human ecology and environmental hygiene]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2013, no. 5, pp. 4–10 (in Russian).