Risk factors causing persistent delay in neuro-psychic development in infant children during their first year in a foster family
O.Yu. Kocherova1, E.N. Antysheva1, V.V. Chubarovsky2, O.M. Filkina1
1V.N. Gorodkov's Ivanovo Scientific Research Institute for motherhood and childhood, 20 Pobedy Str., Ivanovo, 153045, Russian Federation
2National Medical Research Center for Children's Health, 2 Lomonosovskiy avenue, Bldg. 1, Moscow, 119991, Russian Federation
Our research goal was to detect risk factors which cause delay in neuro-psychic development in infant children a year after they were adopted by a foster family. We examined health of 100 infant children at the moment they were adopted and after their first year spent in a foster family; we also examined health of their 100 hundred parents. Our research was focused on social and biological case histories, clinical examinations performed on children, and assessment of their mental development ("Chart for Infants' Neuro-Psychic Exam" technique), as well as psychological examination of foster parents: MINI-SPET (standardized personality examination technique) test, techniques developed by Yu.A. Alyoshina, L.Ya, Gozman, E.M. Dubovskaya and A.Ya. Varga, and V.V. Stolin. All the results were statistically processed with MA Excel XP and Statistica 6.0 software. Relative risks caused by various factors were calculated with Open Epi program; we applied Wald's sequential analysis to draw up an expectancy table. We revealed the following factors which could cause persistent delay in a child's mental development after a year spent in a foster family: a child already suffered from retarded mental development prior to being adopted; a child was adopted when he or she was older than 7 months; a child had had a psychological traumatic experience; a foster mother's attitude towards an infant also mattered a lot. Younger age of a child at the moment of adoption, psychological traumas minimization, and adequate educating techniques in a foster family make for better prevention of any delays in mental development. The obtained data prove it is necessary to provide long-term complex medical, psychological, and pedagogical support for an infant in a foster family under a psychiatrist's supervision.
- Zakirov F.I. Sravnitel'nyi analiz sostoyaniya nervno-psikhicheskogo razvitiya detei, vospityvayushchikhsya v domakh rebenka i nakhodyashchikhsya v priemnoi sem'e [Neuro-psychic development of children living in orphanages and those adopted by a foster family: comparative analysis]. Akusherstvo, ginekologiya, pediatriya (Aspirantskii vestnik Povolzh'ya), 2014, no. 5–6, pp. 39–42 (in Russian).
- Kocherova O.Yu., Fil'kina O.M., Antysheva E.N. Osobennosti zabolevaemosti i fizicheskogo razvitiya detei, ostavshikhsya bez popecheniya roditelei i vospityvayushchikhsya v raznykh sotsial'nykh usloviyakh [The peculiarities of morbidity and physical development in children who are not in charge of parents: upbringing under various social conditions]. Vestnik Ivanovskoi meditsinskoi akademii, 2016, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 16–19 (in Russian).
- Lebedeva O.V., Sorokoumova S.N. Problema formirovaniya psikhologicheskogo zdorov'ya detei s zaderzhkoi psikhicheskogo razvitiya [Problem of Psychological Health Formation at Children with Mental Development Delay]. Defektologiya, 2016, no. 1, pp. 21–26 (in Russian).
- Nikolaeva E.I. Svyaz' intellekta rebenka s dlitel'nost'yu prebyvaniya v detskom dome (na primere priemnykh semei Respubliki Khakasiya) [the relationship of the child's intellect with the duration of staying at an orphanage (on the example of foster families of the republic of Khakassia)]. Psikhologiya obrazovaniya v polikul'turnom prostranstve, 2016, 3, pp. 25–33 (in Russian).
- Akcinar B., Baydar N. Development of externalizing behaviors in the context of family and non-family relationships. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 2016, vol. 25, pp. 1848–1859.
- Gabrielli J., Jackson Y., Brown S. Associations betweenmaltreatment history and severity of substance use behaviorin youth in foster care. Child Maltreatment, 2016, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 298–307.
- Mashina N.S., Galaktionova M.Yu. Sostoyanie zdorov'ya detei pervogo goda zhizni i opredelyayushchie ego factory [Health status of infants and its determining factors]. Sibirskoe meditsinskoe obozrenie, 2015, no. 2, pp. 26–31 (in Russian).
- Hayes M.J., Geiger J.M., Lietz C.A. Navigating a complicated system of care: foster parent satisfaction with behavioral and medical health services. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal, 2015, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 493–505.
- Al'bitskii V.Yu., Pozdnyakova M.A., Ibragimov A.I., Gasilovskaya T.A. Mediko-sotsial'nye problemy sirotstva v sovremennoi Rossii [Medico-social problems of orphans in modern Russia]. Aktual'nye problemy sotsial'noi pediatrii: izbrannye ocherki. Sotsial'naya pediatriya, 2012, pp. 160–168 (in Russian).
- Fil'kina O.M., Vorob'eva E.A., Shanina T.G., Pykhtina L.A., Kocherova O.Yu., Dolotova N.V.Sostoyanie zdorov'ya detei rannego vozrasta s perinatal'nymi porazheniyami tsentral'noi nervnoi sistemy, vospityvay ushchikhsya v domakh rebenka [Health of infants living in orphanages who suffer from perinatal damage to the central nervous system]. Aktual'nye voprosy pediatrii, akusherstva i ginekologii, 2011, no. 2, pp. 14–16 (in Russian).
- Detskaya i podrostkovaya psikhiatriya: Klinicheskie lektsii dlya professionalov [Children and teenagers psychiatry: Clinical lectures for experts]. In: Yu.S. Shevchenko ed. Moscow, OOO «Meditsinskoe informatsionnoe agentstvo» Publ., 2011, 928 p. (in Russian).
- Ivanov M.V., Kozlovskaya G.V. Kontseptual'nyeidei A.V. Snezhnevskogo i psikhoprofilaktika v rannem detskom vozraste [A.V. Snezhnevskiy's conceptual ideas and psychic prophylaxis at younger age]. Psikhiatriya, 2014, no. 3, pp. 18–20 (in Russian).
13 Zhil'tsova E.S. Osobennosti vospitaniya rebenka v zameshchayushchei sem'e [Peculiarities of Up-Bringing a Child in Foster Families]. Yaroslavskii pedagogicheskii vestnik, 2014, no. 1, pp. 73–77 (in Russian).
- Makushkin E.V., Baibarina E.N., Chumakova O.V., Demcheva N.K. Osnovopolagayushchie zadachi i problemy okhrany psikhicheskogo zdorov'ya detei v Rossii [Basic issues and tasks related to protection of children's mental health in Russia]. Psikhiatriya, 2015, no. 4, pp. 5–11 (in Russian).
- Serova E.V. Zameshchayushchaya sem'ya: faktory, vliyayushchie na psikhologicheskoe zdorov'e, predposylki dlya vozniknoveniya strakhov u priemnogo rebenka [A foster family: factors influencing mental health, and preconditions for fears occurring in an adopted child's mind]. Voprosy psikhicheskogo zdorov'ya detei i podrostkov, 2012, no. 1, pp. 21–27 (in Russian).
- Sukhotina N.K. Psikhicheskoe zdorov'e detei i opredelyayushchie ego faktory [Children's mental health and factors determining it]. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S.S. Korsakova, 2013, vol. 113, no. 5–2, pp. 16–22 (in Russian).
- Escueta М., Whetten K., Ostermann J., O’Donnell K. Adverse childhood experiences, psychosocial well-being and cognitive development among orphans and abandoned children in Ave low income countries. BMC International Health and Human Rights, 2014. Available at: https://bmcinthealthhumrights.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-69... (18.01.2018).
- Portnova A.A. Ostrye stressovye narusheniya u detei rannego vozrasta [Acute stress damages in infant children]. Psikhiatriya, 2013, no. 4, pp. 37–40 (in Russian).
- Clausen J.M., Ruff S.C., Wiederhold Von W., Heineman T.V. For as long as it takes: Relationship-based play therapyfor children in foster care. Psychoanalytic Social Work, 2012, vol. 19, no. 1–2, pp. 43–53.
- Assis S.G., Pinto L.W., Avanci J.Q. Nationwide Study on children and Adolescent in foster care in Brazil. Paediatrics Today, 2014, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 135–146.
- Morozova I.S., Belogai K.N., Ott T.O. Osobennosti detsko-roditel'skikh otnoshenii v priemnykh sem'yakh [Special features of children- parents relations in foster families]. Vestnik Kemerovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2014, vol. 3, no. 3 (59), pp. 146–151 (in Russian).
- Trushkina S.V. Pomoshch' detyam rannego vozrasta s narusheniyami psikhicheskogo zdorov'ya: mezhdistsiplinarnyi podkhod [Aid for young children with mental health disorders: an interdisciplinary approash]. Meditsinskaya psikhologiya v Rossii, 2015, no. 2 (31), pp. 5 (in Russian).
- Buist K.L., Vermande M. Sibling relationship patterns and their associations with child competence and problem behavior. Journal of Family Psychology, 2014, vol. 28, p. 529–537.
- Vaughan E.L., Feinn R., Bernard S., Brereton M., Kaufman J.S. Relationships between child emotional and behavioral symptoms and caregiver strain and parenting stress. Journal of Family Issues, 2013, vol. 34, pp. 534–556.
- Simmel C., Morton C., Cucinotta G. Understanding extended involvement with the child welfare system. Children and Youth Services Review, 2012, vol. 34, no 9, pp. 1974–1981.