Hygienic assessment of pm10 and pm2.5 contents in the atmosphere and population health risk in zones infleunced by emissions from stationary sources located at industrial enterprises
I.A. Prosviryakova, L.M. Shevchuk
Scientific-practical Hygiene Center, 8 Akademicheskaya Str., Minsk, 220012, Republic of Belarus
Our research focused on air contamination with solid particles which occurred in settlements influenced by stationary sources located at enterprises involved in construction materials production. Our goal was to examine concentrations and fractional structure of solid particles and to assess health risks caused by air contamination with fine-dispersed solid particles for population living on territories adjoining to sanitary-hygienic zones of industrial enterprises. The research was conducted with laboratory control techniques, health risk assessment, sanitary-hygienic and statistic techniques. We measured solid particles concentrations in real-time detecting them incessantly, and it allowed us to obtain data on concentrations of fine-dispersed solid particles (10 and 2.5 microns diameter) averaged over 20-minutes period; we also managed to calculate sums of solid particles (dust/aerosol not differentiated in its compound) in the atmosphere in settlements influenced by stationary sources located at in-dustrial enterprises. We analyzed fractional structure of solid particles, performed a hygienic assessment of atmospheric air contamination, and determined population health risks caused by atmospheric air contamination with fine-dispersed particles. The obtained results gave grounds for working out analytical (laboratory) techniques for control over atmospheric air contamination at a border between a residential area and a sanitary-hygienic zone and for hygienic assessment of solid particles content in the air in settlements, both for overall fraction and for particles with aerodynamic diameter 10 microns and 2.5 microns.
- Prosviryakova I.A. Metodologicheskie podkhody k gigienicheskoi otsenke soderzhaniya melkodispersnykh tverdykh chastits v atmosfernom vozdukhe [Methodological approaches to hygienic assessment of fine-dispersed solid particles contents in the atmosphere]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda: sbornik nauchnykh trudov. In: S.I. Sychik ed. Minsk, RNMB Publ., 2015, vol. 1, no. 25, pp. 85–87 (in Russian).
- Prosviryakova I.A., Shevchuk L.M. Issledovaniya fonovogo urovnya soderzhaniya tverdykh chastits v atmosfernom vozdukhe [Research on background concentrations of solid particles in the atmosphere]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda: sbornik nauchnykh trudov. In: S.I. Sychik ed. Minsk, RNMB Publ., 2016, no. 26, pp. 53–55 (in Russian).
- Prosviryakova I.A., Shevchuk L.M. Otsenka soderzhaniya tverdykh chastits RM 10 i RM 2.5 v atmosfernom vozdukhe na territorii zhiloi zastroiki v zone vliyaniya vybrosov avtotransporta [Assessment of РМ 10 and РМ 2.5 solid particles content in the atmosphere in settlements on territories influenced by emissions from motor transport]. Zdorov'e i okruzhayushchaya sreda: sbornik nauchnykh trudov. In: S.I. Sychik ed. Minsk, RNMB Publ., 2017, no. 27, pp. 51–54 (in Russian).
- Polichetti G., Cocco S., Spinali A., Trimarco V., Nunziata A. Effects of particulate matter (PM 10 , PM 2.5 and PM 1) on the cardiovascular system. Toxicology, 2009, vol. 261, no. 1–2, pp. 1–8.
- Künzli N., Kaiser R., Medina S., Studnicka M., Chanel O., Filliger P., Herry M., HorakF.Jr., Puybonnieux-Texier V., Quénel P., Schneider J., Seethaler R., Vergnaud J.C., Sommer H. Public-health impact of outdoor and traffic-related air pollution: a European assessment. The Lancet, 2000, vol. 356, no. 9232, pp. 795–801.
- Wang W., Yu T., Ciren P., Jiang P. Assessment of human health impact from PM 10 exposure in China based on satellite observations. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, 2015, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 15100.
- Kalaeva S.Z., ChistyakovYa.V., Muratova K.M., Chebotarev P.V. Vliyanie melkodispersnoi pyli na biosferu i cheloveka [Influencing fine-dispersed dust upon biosphere and human]. Izvestiya Tul'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Nauki o Zemle, 2016, no. 3, pp. 40–63 (in Russian).
- Berico M., Luciani A., Formignani M. Atmospheric aerosol in an urban area – measurements of TSP and PM 10 standards and pulmonary deposition assessments. Atmospheric Environment, 1997, vol. 31, no. 21, pp. 3659–3665.
- Powe N.A., Willis K.G. Mortality and morbidity benefits of air pollution (SO 2 and PM 10 ) absorption attributable to woodland in Britain. Journal of Environmental Management, 2004, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 119–128.
- Zhang X.-X., Chen X., Wang Z.-F., Guo Y.-H., Li J., Chen H.-S., Yang W.-Y., Sharratt B., Liu L.-Y. Dust deposition and ambient PM 10 concentration in Northwest China: spatial and temporal variability. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 2017, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 1699–1711.
- Podbevšek N., Jereb B. PM 10 Risks In Countries of European Union. Vestnik SamGUPS, 2014, no. 3 (25), pp. 9–17.
- Soriano A., Pallarés S., Vicente A.B., Sanfeliu T., Jordán M.M. Assessment of the main sources of PM 10 in an industrialized area situated in a Mediterranean Basin. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 2011, vol. 20, no. 9 A, pp. 2379–2390.
- Bernardoni V., Vecchi R., Valli G., Piazzalunga A., Fermo P. PM 10 Source apportionment in Milan (Italy) using time-resolved data. The Science of the Total Environment, 2011, vol. 409, no. 22, pp. 4788–4795.
- Lim J.-M., Moon J.-H., Chung Y.-S., Lee J.-H., Kim K.-H. Airborne PM 10 and metals from multifarious sources in an industrial complex area. AtmosphericResearch, 2010, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 53–64.
- Lipatov G.Ya., Adrianovskii V.I. Vybrosy vrednykh veshchestv ot metallurgicheskikh korpusov medeplavil'nykh zavodov [Hygienic estimation of harmful substances emissions from metallurgical units of copper plants]. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2013, no. 8, pp. 41–43 (in Russian).
- Strelyaeva A.B., Barikaeva N.S., Kalyuzhina E.A., Nikolenko D.A. Analiz istochnikov zagryazneniya atmosfernogo vozdukha melkodispersnoi pyl'yu [Analysis of sources causing air contamination with fine-disperse dust]. Internet-vestnik VolgGASU. Seriya: Politematicheskaya, 2014, no. 3 (34). Available at: http://vestnik.vgasu.ru/?source=4&articleno=1715 (17.07.2017) (in Russian).
- May I.V., Zagorodnov S.Yu., Maks A.A., Zagorodnov M.Yu. Otsenka potentsial'nogo zagryazneniya atmosfernogo vozdukha melkodispersnymi chastitsami v zone raspolozheniya mashinostroitel'nogo predpriyatiya [Assessment of potential air pollution finely dispersed particles in the zone of machine building enterprise]. Vestnik Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Urbanistika, 2012, no. 2, pp. 109–118 (in Russian).
- Yanin E.P. Khimicheskie elementy v pylevykh vybrosakh elektrotekhnicheskikh predpriyatii i ikh rol' v zagryaznenii okruzhayushchei sredy [Chemical elements in dust discharge of electrical engineering enterprises as source pollution of the environment]. Ekologicheskie sistemy i pribory, 2009, no. 2, pp. 53–58 (in Russian).
- Strelyaeva A.B., Marinin N.A., Azarov A.V. O znachimosti dispersnogo sostava pyli v tekhnologicheskikh protsessakh [On importance of dust disperse compound in technological processes]. Internet-vestnik VolgGASU. Seriya: Politematicheskaya, 2013, no. 3 (28). Available at: http://vestnik.vgasu.ru/?source=4&ar-ticleno=1381 (17.07.2017) (in Russian).
- Strelyaeva A.B., Lavrent'eva L.M., Lupinogin V.V., Gvozdkov I.A. Issledovaniya zapylennosti v zhiloi zone, raspolozhennoi vblizi promyshlennykh predpriyatii chastitsami RM10 i RM 2.5 [Studies of dustiness in a residential area located near industrial enterprises with PM 10 and PM 2.5 particles]. Inzhenernyi vestnik Dona, 2017, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 154–156 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kleyn S.V. Optimizatsiya programm nablyudeniya za kachestvom atmosfernogo vozdukha selitebnykh territorii v sisteme sotsial'no-gigienicheskogo monitoringa na baze prostranstvennogo analiza i otsenki riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya [How to optimize programs for monitoring over atmospheric air quality in settlements in the social-hygienic monitoring system on the basis of spatial analysis and population health risk assessment]. Permskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2010, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 130–138 (in Russian).