Standard operating procedures as a trend in ensuring healthcare safety
T.N. Shestopalova, T.V. Gololobova
Scientific Research Institute for Disinfectology, 18 Scientific Lane, Moscow, 117246, Russian Federation
An analysis of healthcare safety indicators has shown that risks associated with providing healthcare which occur in med-ical organizations lead to additional economic and material losses, lower efficiency of government measures aimed at developing healthcare, and poorer public trust in a healthcare system. One of the basic reasons for this situation is the lack of proper regulation of the activities performed by medical organization personnel whose work is related to healthcare provision.
At present there is no scientific justification and procedures required to ensure the needed safety of patients and healthcare professionals are not established. Also, the functions of healthcare personnel related to ensuring healthcare safety have not been formalized and standardized, and also certain methodical ways of ensuring healthcare safety have not been established.
The regulation of certain recurring procedures, important for healthcare safety, is most efficiently provided through SOPs. The risk assessment methodology allows to identify the most important elements of the activities performed by the medical organization personnel, to develop and implement standard operating procedures the use of which increases healthcare safety.
The authors worked out basic principles (an algorithm) of standard operation procedures (SOP) development used to ensure safety in the field of healthcare which can be considered universal and can be applied at any healthcare organization. According to the mentioned principles and taking the relevance into account, the authors have described certain types of activities performed by healthcare personnel and developed standard operation procedures in the field of healthcare safety.
The research of SOP’s implementation efficiency at core medical organizations is being performed at the moment.
- Pratt R.J., Pellowe C., Loveday H.P., Robinson N. [et al]. The epic project: developing national evidencebased guidelines for preventing healthcare associated infections. Phase I: Guidelines for preventing hospitalacquired infections. Department of Health (England). J. Hosp. Infect., 2001, no. 47, pp. S3–82.
- Donabedian A. Evaluating the quality of medical care. Milbank Quartery, 2005, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 691–729. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0009.2005.00397.x
- Murashko M.A. Innovatsionnye podkhody k obespecheniyu kachestva v zdravookhranenii [Innovative approaches to providing healthcare quality]. Vestnik Roszdravnadzora, 2017, no. 6, pp. 5–9 (inRussian).
- Ivanov I.V., Kovalishina O.V., Shvabskii O.R. Opyt audita obespecheniya kachestva i bezopasnosti meditsinskoi deyatel'nosti v meditsinskoi organizatsii po razdelu "Epidemiologicheskaya bezopasnost" [Experience in auditing the quality and safety assurance of medical activities in a healthcare organization within the "Epidemiological safety" section]. Vestnik Roszdravnadzora, 2017, no. 4, pp. 9–15 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., May I.V., Kir'yanov D.A., Goryaev D.V., Kleyn S.V. Sotsial'no-gigienicheskii monitoring na sovremennom etape: sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya v sopryazhenii s risk-orientirovannym nadzorom [Social and hygienic monitoring today: state and prospects in conjunction with the risk-based supervision]. Analiz riska zdorov'yu, 2016, no 4, pp. 4–16. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2016.4.01.eng
- Doklad o sostoyanii zdravookhraneniya v mire [World Health Report]. Zheneva, Vsemirnaya organizatsiya zdravookhraneniya, 2010, 106 p. (in Russian).
- Utverzhdennye standarty meditsinskoi pomoshchi [Approved standards for medical aid]. Ministerstvo zdravookhraneniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii: ofitsial'nyi sait. Available at: https://www.rosminzdrav.ru/open-data/7707778246-utverzdenniestandartimed... (25.04.2018) (in Russian).
- Nolen J.L. Standard operating procedure. Encyclopedia Britannica. Available at: https://www.britannica.com/topic/standard-operating-procedure (25.04.2018).
- Bauer M., Riech S., Brandes I., Waeschle R.M. Vor-und Nachteile verschiedener Techniken zur Bereitstellung und Pflege von Standard Operating Procedures. Der Anaesthesist, 2015, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 874–883.
- Ferdinandy Cs. Practical implementation of a clinical nutritional protocol: From the initiative to local SOPs. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN, 2016, vol. 11, pp. e72. Available at: https://clinicalnutritionespen.com/article/S2405-4577%2815%2900138-2/ful... (25.04.2018).
- Niebel P., Wulf H. Deklaration von Helsinki zur Patientensicherheit in der Anästhesiologie – Teil 4: SOP zur perioperativen Anaphylaxie. AINS – Anästhesiologie Intensivmedizin Notfallmedizin Schmerztherapie, 2013, pp. 230–232.
- Guideline for good clinical practice E6 (R2): Step 5. European Medical Agency, 2017, 70 p.
- Kee A.N. Standard operating procedures for clinical research departments. J. Med. Pract. Manage, 2011, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 172–174.
- Ob utverzhdenii Pravil nadlezhashchei laboratornoi praktiki: Prikaz Ministerstva zdravookhraneniya Rossiiskoi Federatsii ot 01.04.2016 g. N199n [On Approval of Rules for Proper Clinical Practices: The Order by the RF Public Healthcare Ministry issued on April 01, 2016. No. 199н]. Available at: https://minjust.consul-tant.ru/documents/20332 (24.04.2018) (in Russian).
- O vvedenii v deistvie metodicheskikh ukazanii «Proizvodstvo lekarstvennykh sredstv. Dokumentatsiya. Obshchie trebovaniya. Primernye formy i rekomendatsii po ikh zapolneniyu». MU 64-04-003-2002: Rasporyazhenie Ministerstva promyshlennosti nauki i tekhnologii Rossiiskoi Federatsii ot 15 aprelya 2003 g. N R-16 [On implementing Methodical Guidelines «Production of Pharmaceuticals. Documents. Basic requirements. Model forms and recommendations how to fill them in». MG No. 64-04-003-2002: The Order by the RF Ministry for Industry, science, and Technology issued on April 15, 2003 No. Р-16]. Available at: http://base.garant.ru/6147324/ (24.04.2018) (in Russian).
- VyalkovA.I. Problemy zdorov'ya naseleniya RF v period reformy zdravookhraneniya [Issues related to health of the RF population at a time when public healthcare system is being reorganized]. Glavvrach, 2005, no. 7, pp. 12–18 (in Russian).
- Gómez-Almaguer D., Gómez-Peña Á., Jaime-Pérez J.C., Gómez-Guijosa M.Á., Cantú-Rodríguez O., Gutiérrez-Aguirre H., Martínez-Cabriales S.A., García-Rodríguez F., Olguín-Ramírez L.A., Salazar-Riojas R., Méndez-Ramírez N. Higher doses of CD34+ progenitors are associated with improved overall survival without increasing GVHD in reduced intensity conditioning allogeneic transplant recipients with clinically advanced disease. J. Clin. Apher, 2013, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 349–355. DOI: 10.1002/jca.21278.
- Grimshaw J.M., Russell I.T. Effect of clinical guidelines on medical practice: a systematic review of rigorous evaluations. Lancet, 1993, vol. 342, no. 8883, pp. 1317–1322.
- Deveugele M., Derese A., De Bacquer D., van den Brink-Muinen A., Bensing J., De Maeseneer J. Consultation in general practice: A standard operating procedure? Patient Educ. Couns., 2004, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 227–233.
- Predlozheniya (prakticheskie rekomendatsii) po organizatsii vnutrennego kontrolya kachestva i bezopasnosti meditsinskoi deyatel'nosti v meditsinskoi organizatsii (poliklinike) [Proposals (practical recommensdations) on organizing internal control over quality and safety of medical activities at a medical organization (polyclinic)]. Moskow, Federal'noi sluzhby po nadzoru v sfere zdravookhraneni, FGBU «Tsentr monitoringa i kliniko-ekonomicheskoi ekspertizy» Publ., 2017, 121 p. (in Russian).
- Paula H., Becker R., Assadian O., Heidecke C.D., Kramer A.Wettability of hands during 15-second and 30-second handrub time intervals: A prospective, randomized crossover study. American Journal of Infection Control, 2018, pii: S0196-6553 (18) 30137-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2018.02.015
- Janota J., Šebková S., Višňovská M., Kudláčková J., Hamplová D., Zach J. Hand hygiene with alcohol hand rub and gloves reduces the incidence of late onset sepsis in preterm neonates. Acta Paediatr, 2014, vol. 103, no. 10, pp. 1053–1056. DOI: 10.1111/apa.12731.
- Santos-Junior A.G., Ferreira A.M., Frota O.P., Rigotti M.A., Barcelos L. da S., Lopes de Sousa A.F., de Andrade D., Guerra O.G., Furlan M.C.R. Effectiveness of Surface Cleaning and Disinfection in a Brazilian Healthcare Facility. Open Nurs. J., 2018, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 36–44.
- Kingston L., O’Connell N.H., Dunne C.P. Hand hygiene-related clinical trials reported since 2010: a systematic review. J. Hosp. Infect., 2016, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 309–320.
- Assadian O., Kramer A., Ouriel K., Suchomel M., McLaws M.-L., Rottman M., Leaper D., Assadian A. Suppression of Surgeons’ Bacterial Hand Flora during Surgical Procedures with a New Antimicrobial Surgical Glove. Surg. Infect. (Larchmt), 2014, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 43–49.
- Carr J., Laing K. Clinical. Hand Decontamination: SOP. 2015, 10 p.
- SathyanarayanaRao T.S., Radhakrishnan R., Andrade Ch. Standard operating procedures for clinical practice. Indian J. Psychiatry, 2011, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1–3. DOI: 10.4103/0019-5545.75542
- Infection Prevention and Control Assurance – Standard Operating Procedure 7 (IPC SOP 7). Decontamination (Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilisation). 2015, 20 p.
- SOP Number: MB-24-03. Standard Operating Procedure for Disinfectant Products Tested against Mycobacterium bovis (BCG) Using theGermicidal Spray Products as Disinfectants Test. US Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs, 2016, 19 p.
- SOP Number: MB-22-03. Standard Operating Procedure for Disinfectant Product Preparation andSampling Procedures. US Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs, 2013, 13 p.