Fatigue risk assessment for workers with neuro-enmotional labor
I.V. Bukhtiyarov1,2, O.I. Yushkova1, M.A. Fesenko1, A.G. Merkulova1
1Izmerov's Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31, Budennogo avenue, Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
2I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, 8 Trubetskaya Str., build. 2, Moscow, 119991, Russian Federation
The papers dwells on the results obtained during fatigue risk assessment as per subjective and objective parameters in civil aviation crew members.
Our research goal was to assess fatigue and overfatigue risks as per subjective and objective cardiovascular system parameters and central nervous system parameters in workers with morning and evening biorhythms under neuro-emotional workloads and shift work performed by planes crew members, air traffic controllers, and operators. Our examined workers were mostly people aged 35-45 with working period equal to 5-15 years.
Fatigue which occurred during flights was assessed subjectively by crew members questioning as per Epworth Sleep Scale, Karolinska Sleepiness Scale, and crew state control as per Samn-Perelli. Working efficiency was studied via PVT test (psychomotor vigilance test), sleep monitoring, and actigraphy. Circadian rhythms dynamics was examined as per changes in minimal body temperature which aircrew members had. We applied Ostberg's questionnaires to assess biorhythmologic activity type. Workers' functional reserves were assessed via stress testing. We calculated functional changes index to assess functional abilities of the circulatory system and adaptation state during a working shift in workers with various biorhythmologic types.
The paper outlines the examination results for physiological reactions appearing in the cardiovascular system and central nervous system of workers with morning and evening biorhythms. We revealed that functional state peculiarities in operators when they performed their work tasks in a shift regime were closely connected with their biorhythmologic activity type. "Early risers" had more adverse physiological reactions during their work activities. We developed ways to lower risks related to fatigue and overfatigue caused by shift work. It was shown that regulatory mechanisms stress occurring in the circulatory system, lower labor motivation, and poorer health in people with the morning biorhythmologic type made it necessary to correct the body functional state during shift work, especially when labor was very intense.
- Dementienko V.V., Dorokhov V.B. Otsenka effektivnosti sistem kontrolya urovnya bodrstvovaniya che-loveka-operatora s uchetom veroyatnostnoi prirody vozniknoveniya oshibok pri zasypanii [Assessment of the effectiveness of the wake-up system of the human operator, taking into account the probabilistic nature of the occurrence of errors when falling asleep]. Zhurnal vysshei nervnoi deyatel'nosti im. I.P. Pavlova, 2013, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 24–32 (in Russian).
- Thomas L.C., Gast C., Grube R., Craig K. Fatigue detection in commercial flight operations: Results using physiological measures. Procedia Manufacturing, 2015, no.3, pp. 2357–2364.
- Fatigue in fly-in, fly-out оperations. Guidance document for the oil and gas industry. IOGP Report 536. IPIECA-IOGP, 2015, 44 p.
- Performance indicators for fatigue risk management systems. IOGP Report 488. IPIECA-IOGP, 2012, 24 p.
- Rukovodstvo dlya reglamentiruyushchikh organov: sistemy upravleniya riskami, svyazannymi s utom-lyaemost'yu [Guide for regulatory bodies: systems aimed at managing fatigue-related risks]. International Civil Aviation Organization, 2013, 250 p. (in Russian).
- Dorokhov V.B. Somnologiya i bezopasnost' professional'noi deyatel'nosti [A psychomotor test for assess-ment of visuomotor coordination during performance of a monotonous target-tracking activity]. Zhurnal vysshei nervnoi deyatel'nosti im. I.P. Pavlova, 2013, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 33–47 (in Russian).
- Fesenko M.A., MerkulovaA.G., Kalinina S.A. Otsenka razvitiya ustalosti voditelei [Assessment of the development of fatigue in drivers]. Materialy XXIII s"ezda Fiziologicheskogo obshchestva imeni I.P. Pavlova [Materials of the XXIII congress by I.I. Pavlov's Physiological Society]. Voronezh, ISTOKI Publ., 2017, pp. 1256–1257(in Russian).
- Boivin D.B., Boudreau P. Impacts of shift work on sleep and circadian rhythms. Pathologie Biologie, 2014, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 292–301.
- Lombardi D.A., Folkard S., Willetts J.L., Smith G.S. Daily sleep, weekly working hours, and risk of work-related injury: US National Health Interview Survey (2004–2008). Chronobiology International, 2010, no. 27, pp.1013–1030.
- Doskin V.A., Lavrent'eva N.A. Aktual'nye problemy profilakticheskoi khronomeditsiny [Vital issues of preventive chronomedicine]. Moscow, VNIMI Publ., 1985, 80 p. (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F., Matyukhin V.V., Yushkova O.I. Stress narabote [Stress at work]. Bezopasnost' imeditsina-truda, 2001, no. 3, pp. 32–37 (in Russian).
- Matyukhin V.V., Yushkova O.I. Smena nochnaya i smena vechernyaya [A night shift and an evening shift]. Okhrana truda i sotsial'noe strakhovanie, 2001, no.8, pp.56–61(in Russian).
- Smirnov K.M., Navakatikyan A.O., Gambashidze G.M. [et al.]. Bioritmy i trud [Biorhythms and labor]. Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1980, 142 p. (in Russian).
- Agadzhanyan N.A., Shabatura N.N. Bioritmy, sport, zdorov'e [Biorhythms, sport, health]. Moscow, Fizkul'tura i sport Publ., 1989, 208 p. (in Russian).
- Stepanova S.I. Bioritmologicheskie aspekty problemy adaptatsii [Biorhythmological aspects of the adaptation problem]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1986, 241 p. (in Russian).
- Gambashidze G.M. O vozmozhnosti prisposobleniya organizma k smennym i nochnym rabotam [On the Possibility of Adaptation of the Organism to Shift and Night Work]. Gigiena truda i profzabolevaniya, 1965, no. 1, pp. 12–16 (in Russian).
- Chernikova E. F. Vliyanie smennogo kharaktera truda na sostoyanie zdorov'ya rabotnikov [Effect of shifts work on a rotational basis change in the nature of work on the health of workers]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2015, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 44–48 (in Russian).
- Yushkova O.I., Kuz'mina L.P., Poroshenko A.S., Kapustina A.V. Osobennosti formirovaniya perenapryazheniya pri vysokikh psikhoemotsional'nykh nagruzkakh i smennom rezhime truda [Features of overexertion formation due to high psychoe motional strain and shift work]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2008, no. 4, pp. 1–8 (in Russian).
- Khronobiologiya i khronomeditsina: rukovodstvo [Chronobiology and chronomedicine: guide]. In: F.I. Komarov, ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1989, 400 p. (in Russian).
- Baevskii R.M. Prognozirovanie sostoyanii na granitse normy i patologii [Prediction of states at the border of norm and pathology]. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1979, 294 p. (in Russian).
- R 2.2.2006-05. Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i trudovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassifikatsiya uslovii truda: rukovodstvo [Guide on Hygienic Assessment of Factors of Working Environment and Work Load. Criteria and Classification of Working Conditions]. Moscow, 2005, 142 p. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200040973 (18.06.2017) (in Russian).
- Tochilov K.S. Praktikum po fiziologii truda [Manual on the physiology of labor]. Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1970, 200 p. (in Russian).
- Zagryadskii V.P., Sulimo-Samuillo Z.K. Metody issledovaniya v fiziologii truda [Methods of research in the physiology of labor]. Leningrad, Nauka Publ., 1976, 88 p. (in Russian).
- Preventivnaya kardiologiya [Preventive cardiology]. In: G.I. Kositskii ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1977, 560 p. (in Russian).
- Instrumental'nye metody issledovaniya serdechno-sosudistoi sistemy [Instrumental methods of the cardiovascular system studying]. In: T.S. Vinogradova ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 1986, 416 p. (in Russian).
- Gander P.H., Mulrine H.M., Berg M.J., Smith A.A.T., Signal T.L., Mangie J. Does the circadian clock drift when pilots fly multiple transpacific flights with 1-to 2-day layovers? Chronobiology international, 2016, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 982–994.
- Gander P.H., Mulrine H.M., Berg M.J., Smith A.A.T., Signal T.L., Wu L.J., Belenky G. Effects of sleep/wake history and circadian phase on proposed pilot fatigue safety performance indicators. Journal of sleep research, 2014, vol. 24, no.1, pp. 110–119.
- Gander P.Kh., Rouzkaind M.R., Gregori K.B. Utomlyaemost' chlenov letnogo ekipazha. Chast' VΙ: kompleksnyi obzor [Fatigue of flight crew members. Part VΙ: a holistic review]. Aviakosmicheskaya i ekologicheskaya meditsina, 1998, vol.69, no. 9, pp. V49–V60 (in Russian).