Social health and perception of risks by students living in southern russian regions (based on sociological questioning data obtained in Rostov-on-Don)
N.Kh. Gafiatulina1, L.V. Tarasenko1, S.I. Samygin2, S.Yu. Eliseeva3
1Southern Federal University, 105/42 Bolshaya Sadovaya Str., Rostov-on-Don, 344006, Russian Federation
2Rostov State University of Economics, 69 Bolshaya Sadovaya Str., Rostov-on-Don, 344002, Russian Federation
3Perm State University, 15 Bukireva Str, Perm, 614990, Russian Federation
We chose young students as our research object as they represent a social-demographic group with a specific social health, lifestyle, social activity, and social well-being. Our research goal was to assess students' social health and to determine how they perceived risks for it. Analysis of social health risks perception by young students was performed within socio-centric and sociogenic approaches as well as risk-examining paradigm. We considered social activity, social networks involvement, and social well-being as key aspects of social health. It is shown that young students mostly have average social health as per its integral index. But here we detected low social activity, high social networks involvement, and average social well-being. We singled out 3 typical groups of young students: "socially active integrated optimists", "socially passive moderately integrated pessimists", and "socially passive integrated optimists". All three students groups mentioned difficulties related to employment as important social health risk factors; however, it were respondents with low social health who were most preoccupied with "future uncertainty". Young students with low social health are to a greater extent preoccupied with risk factors causing personal danger for themselves than for a society as a whole.
It is necessary to create complex activities in a contemporary education space; these activates are to aimed at minimizing and preventing risks for Russian students' social health. We should make for higher social activity as it will inevitably lead to higher social well-being and improve overall students' social health.
- Anisimov A.I., Kireeva N.N. Psikhologicheskoe obespechenie sotsial'nogo zdorov'ya uchitelei [Psychological provision of teachers' social health]. Psikhologiya obucheniya, 2012, no. 4, pp. 100–114 (in Russian).
- Babintsev V.P., Ushamirskii A.E. Rossiiskaya molodezh': sotsializatsiya kak sotsial'naya adaptatsiya [Russian youth: socialization as social adaptation]. Nauchny evedomosti Belgorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Filosofiya. Sotsiologiya. Pravo, 2016, vol. 37, no. 17 (238), pp. 85–89 (in Russian).
- Baikova L.A. Sotsial'noe zdorov'e detei i molodezhi: metodologiya, teoriyaipraktika: monografiya [Social health of children and youth: methodology, theory, and practice: monograph]. Ryazan', 2011, 224 p. (in Russian).
- Barg A.O., Lebedeva-Nesevrya N.A. Risk-kommunikatsiya kak mekhanizm formirovaniya adekvatnoi otsenki riskov dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya[Risk-communication as an effective way of producing the cumulative acceptability of human health risks]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2014, vol. 12, no. 261, pp. 9–11 (in Russian).
- Gafiatulina N.Kh. Sotsial'noe samochuvstvie molodezhi v usloviyakh riskogennosti rossiiskogo ob-shchestva [Social self sensitiveness of the youth in the terms of risk of the russian society]. Lichnost' v ekstrem-al'nykh usloviyakh i krizisnykh situatsiyakh zhiznedeyatel'nosti, 2011, no. 1, pp. 17–24 (in Russian).
- Gorshkov M.K., Sheregi F.E. O zhiznennykh planakh rossiiskoi molodezhi: nastoyashchee I budushchee [On life plans of Russian youth: present and future]. Rossiya i Kitai: molodezh' XXI veka. In: M.K. Gorshkov, F.E. Sheregi [et al.], eds. Moscow, 2014, pp. 384–404 (in Russian).
- Zhiznennye prioritety rossiyan: sem'ya, den'gi ili tvorchestvo? [Life priorities of Russians: family, wealth, or creation?]. Vserossiiskii tsentr izucheniya obshchestvennogo mneniya, 2017, Press-vypusk no. 3391. Available at: https://wciom.ru/index.php?id=236&uid=116264 (24.08.2017) (in Russian).
- Zaitseva N.V., Lebedeva-Nesevrya N.A. Podkhody k postroeniyu effektivnoi regional'noi sistemy informi-rovaniya o riskakh zdorov'yu [Methodological approaches to building of regional system of health risks infor-mation]. Zdorov'e sem'i - 21 vek, 2010, no. 4, pp. 8 (in Russian).
- Zobov R.A., Kelas'ev V.N. Zhiznennyi uspekh i orientatsii sovremennoi rossiiskoi molodezhi [Success in life and orientations of contemporary Russian youth]. Molodezhnaya Galaktika, 2013, no. 9, pp. 20–28 (in Rus-sian).
- Zubok Yu.A., Chuprov V.I. Sovremennaya sotsiologiya molodezhi: izmenyayushchayasya real'nost' i novye teoreticheskie podkhody [Modern sociology of youth: changing reality and theoretical approaches]. Rossiya reformiruyushchayasya, 2017, no. 15, pp. 12–48 (in Russian).
- Kolpina L.V. Sotsial'noe zdorov'e: opredelenie i mekhanizmy vliyaniya na obshchee zdorov'e: obzor literatury [Social health: definition and mechanisms of influence on individual health: literature review]. Sinergiya, 2017, no. 2, pp. 73–81 (in Russian).
- Kolpina L.V., Serbai I.N. K voprosu ob opredelenii ponyatiya «sotsial'noe zdorov'e» [On "social health" concept].Srednerusskii vestnik obshchestvennykh nauk, 2011, no. 1, pp. 49–56 (in Russian).
- Konstantinovskii D.L., Voznesenskaya E.D., Cherednichenko G.A. Rabochaya molodezh' segodnya: obrazovanie, professiya, sotsial'noe samochuvstvie [Workers Today: Education, Profession, Social Health]. Sotsiologicheskaya nauka i sotsial'naya praktika, 2013, no. 2, pp. 21–38 (in Russian).
- Lebedeva-Nesevrya N.A. Sotsial'nye factory riska zdorov'yu kak ob"ekt upravleniya [Social health risk factors as an object of management]. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya, 2010, no. 3, pp. 36–41 (in Russian).
- Tarasenko L.V., Nor-Arevyan O.A., Kirik V.A. [et al.]. Modelirovanie professional'noi sotsializatsii stu-dencheskoi molodezhi v usloviyakh sotsial'noi neopredelennosti [Modeling of students' professional socialization under social uncertainty]. Rostov on Don, 2016, 164 p. (in Russian).
- O chem mechtayut rossiyane (razmyshleniya sotsiologov): Analiticheskii doklad [What Russians dream about (sociologists' thinking): analytical report]. Moscow, ISRAN, Publ., 2012, 106 p. (in Russian).
- Parsons T. Sistema sovremennykh obshchestv [A system of modern societies]. Moscow, Aspekt-Press, Publ., 1997, 270 p. (in Russian).
- Fromm E. Zdorovoe obshchestvo [A healthy society]. Moscow, Ast, Astrel', Publ., 2011, 314 p. (in Rus-sian).
- Shilkina N.E. Kontseptsiya tselevoi tsennosti deistviya kak teoretiko-metodologicheskoe osnovanie ot-senki i prognoza sotsial'noi adaptatsii studencheskoi molodezhi v usloviyakh sotsial'noi neopredelennosti i riska [A target action value concept as theoretical and methodological grounds for assessing and predicting young students' social adaptation under social uncertainty and risks]. Devyatye Kovalevskie chteniya. Sotsiologiya i sotsiologicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii: materialy konferentsii, posvyashchennoi 25-letiyu sotsiologicheskogo obrazovaniya v Rossii i Sankt-Peterburgskom gosudarstvennom universitete [The ninth Kovalev's readings. Sociology and sociological education in Russia: materials of the conference, dedicated to the 25th anniversary of sociological education in Russia and in saint Petersburg State University]. St. Peterburg, Skifiya-print, Publ., 2014, pp. 229–231 (in Russian).
- Berkman L.F., Kawachi I. Social epidemiology. New York, Oxford University Press, Publ., 2000, pp. 174–190.
- Closing the gap in a generation: Health equity through action on the social determinants of health.World Health Organization: Commission on the Social Determinants of Health. Geneva, 2008, 256 p.
- Hanefeld J., Vearey J., Lunt N. A global research agenda on migration, mobility, and health. The Lancet, 2017, vol. 389, no. 10087, pp. 2358–2359.
- Herzman C., Boyce T. How experience gets under the skin to create gradients in developmental health. Annu. Rev. Public. Health, 2010, vol. 31, pp. 329–347.
- Manor O., Matthews S. Power Health selection: The role of interand intragenerational mobility in social inequalities in health. Soc. Sci. Med., 2003, vol. 57, pp. 2217–2227.
- Tobias M. Social rank: a risk factor whose time has come? The Lancet, 2017, vol. 389, no. 10075, pp. 1172–1174.
- Trenton D. Mize Profile in health: Multiple roles and healthy lifestyles in early adulthood. Social Science & Medicine, 2017, vol. 178, pp. 196–205.