Analysis of hazardous work environment factors at a train conductor workplace
M.F. Vil'k1, O.S. Yudaeva1, V.A. Aksenov2, V.M. Ponomarev2, V.I. Apattsev2, E.A. Sorokina2, V.B. Prostomolotova2, A.S. Kozlov2, E.O. Latynin1
1All-Russian Research Institute of Railway Hygiene, 1, Bldg. 1 Pakgauznoe Shosse Str., Moscow, 125438, Russian Federation
2Russian University of Transport (MIIT), 9, Bldg 9 Obrazcova Str., Moscow, 127994, Russian Federation
The paper dwells on generalized analysis of morbidity which is characteristic for conductors working in passenger carriages of locomotive-driven trains. Working conditions train conductors had to work in were examined as per results of sanitary-hygienic research on intra-carriage environment, specific working conditions assessment, and questioning. Hazards caused by working environment factors for train conductors to a certain extent depend on a carriage type, its technical and hygienic state, as well as on a route a train goes by.
Our research revealed that impacts exerted by various working environment factors, namely physical, chemical, biological, and psychophysical ones, caused respiratory diseases, increased allergic reactivity, changes in hearing sensitivity, and overall morbidity growth among people from this occupational group.
Unordered regime resulting from constant trips and unfavorable living conditions in a carriage lead to the following diseases: varix dilatation in legs, ischemic heart disease together with primary hypertension, and chronic rheumatic heart diseases. More precise classification of conductors' working conditions can be obtained via a mathematical model creation as it enables precise estimation of occupational diseases probability. Such models should be based on a relationship between diseases frequency (or probability) and working conditions as per specific hygienic factors.
We worked out methodical guidelines on providing safe working conditions at conductors' working places which include efficient activities aimed at prevention of hazardous impacts exerted by working environment factors. It will help to improve working conditions substantially, to preserve workers' health, and to ensure safe passengers traffic.
Safe working conditions for conductors can be secured due to a set of activities aimed at equipping new carriages and those after capital repair with air-conditioning, disinfection systems, heating, ecologically clean toilets, modern furnishing materials, as well as at improving sanitary and living conditions, providing comfortable uniforms, and better regulation of work and rest re-gimes.
- Belyakov G.I. Okhrana truda [Labor protection]. Moscow, Yurait, Publ., 2013, 572 p. (in Russian).
- Gigiena truda [Occupational hygiene].In: N.F. Izmerov, V.F. Kirillov, eds. Moscow, GEOTAR-Media, Publ., 2008, 592 p. (in Russian).
- Saikin A.M., Ryabchikov O.B., Yudaeva O.S., Zaikov G.E. K otsenke ekologichnosti i pozharobezopasnosti polimersoderzhashchikh materialov inter'era ATS [An assessment of ecological and fire safety of polymer-containing materials into vehicle interior]. Trudy NAMI, 2012, no. 248, pp.78–91 (in Russian).
- Klochkova E.A. Okhrana truda na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Labor protection at railroad trans-port]. Moscow, Marshrut, Publ., 2004, 412 p. (in Russian).
- Kommunal'naya gigiena [Communal hygiene]. In: V.T. Mazaev, ed. Moscow, GEOTAR-Media, Publ., 2005, part 2, 304 p. (in Russian).
- Mel'nichenko P.I., Prokhorov N.I., Arkhangel'skii V.I. Obshchaya gigiena, sotsial'no-gigienicheskii moni-toring: rukovodstvo k prakticheskim zanyatiyam. Razdel «Obshchaya gigiena» [Common hygiene, social-hygienic monitoring: practical studies guide. "Common hygiene" section]. Moscow, Prakticheskaya meditsina, Publ., 2014, 332 p. (in Russian).
- Ponomarev V.M., Ul'yanov V.A. Vliyanie motivatsii truda na povyshenie bezopasnosti proizvodstvennoi deyatel'nosti personala [Influence exerted by labor motivation on increasing safety of staff production activities]. Nauka i tekhnika transporta, 2012, no. 2, pp. 106–112 (in Russian).
- Potapov A.I, Titova T.S. Ekologicheski bezopasnye tekhnologii na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Environmentally safe technologies in railway transport]. Transport Rossiiskoi Federatsii, 2010, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 72–77 (in Russian).
- Professional'nye zabolevaniya: rukovodstvo [Occupational diseases: Guide]. In: N.F. Izmerov, ed. Moscow, Meditsina, Publ., 1996, vol. 1, 336 p. (in Russian).
- Professional'nye zabolevaniya: rukovodstvo [Occupational diseases: Guide]. In: N.F. Izmerov, ed. Moscow, Meditsina, Publ., 1996, vol. 2, 480 p. (in Russian).
- Prokhorov A.A., Kudrin V.A. Okhrana zdorov'ya rabotnikov lokomotivnykh brigad I obespechenie be-zopasnosti dvizheniya poezdov na zheleznykh dorogakh: rukovodstvo [Protecting health of locomotive teams and providing railroad traffic safety: Guide]. Moscow, VNIIZhG MPS Rossii, Publ., 2000, 107 p. (in Russian).
- Rossol'ko D.S. Osobennosti trudovoi deyatel'nosti i sostoyanie reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya zhenshchin-provodnikov zheleznodorozhnogo transporta: avtoref. dis.. kand. med. Nauk [Working activities peculiarities and reproductive health of female conductors at railroad transport: abstracts of a candidate's dissertation]. Sankt-Peterburg, 2005, 20 p. (in Russian).
- SP 2.5.1198-03. Sanitarnye pravila po organizatsii passazhirskikh perevozok na zheleznodorozhnom transporte. Utv. Glavnym gosudarstvennym sanitarnym vrachom Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Sanitary rules for passenger traffic on railroad. Approved by the RF Chief State Sanitary Inspector]. 2003. Available at: https://ohranatruda.ru/ot_biblio/norma/249197/ (30.07.2017) (in Russian).
- STO RZhD 1.15.003-2008. Proizvodstvennyi kontrol' uslovii truda v OAO «RZhD»: standart OAO «RZhD» [STORR 1.15.003-2008. Industrial surveillance over working conditions in Russian Railways PLC RR PLC Standard]. Available at: www.ttgdt.edu.ru/students/railway/sto/sto%20rzd%201.15.003-2008.pdf (08.08.2017) (in Russian).
- STO RZhD 15.012-2014. Sistema upravleniya okhranoi truda v OAO «RZhD». Spetsial'naya otsenka uslovii truda: standart OAO «RZhD» [STORR 15.012-2014. Labor protection system in RR PLC. Specific assess-ment of working: PLC RR PLC Standard]. Available at: www.dorprof-kbsh.ru/wp-content/uploads/S-STO-RZhD-15.012-2014-SUOT.doc (08.08.2017) (in Russian).
- STO RZhD 15.014-2012. Sistema upravleniya okhranoi truda v OAO «RZhD». Organizatsiya kontrolya i poryadok ego provedeniya: standart OAO «RZhD» [STORR 15.014-2012. Labor protection system in RR PLC. How surveillance is organized and performed: PLC RR PLC Standard]. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/docu-ment/1200102122 (08.08.2017) (in Russian).
- Ul'yanov V.A. Analiz avariinosti i proizvodstvennogo travmatizma na OPO i faktory, vliyayushchie na sostoyanie bezopasnosti truda personala [Analysis of accidence and occupational traumatism at hazardous industrial objects and factors influencing staff labor safety]. Chelovek i trud, 2012, no. 6, pp. 47–51(in Russian).
- Vil'k M.F., Ovechkina Zh.V., Sosnova T.L., Yudaeva O.S., Bukhareva E.A. Uchityvat' potrebnosti i osobennosti vsekh kategorii invalidov [To allow for needs and peculiarities of all disabled people]. Zhelezno¬do-rozhnyi transport, 2011, no. 6, pp. 30–31(in Russian).