Analysis of legal and methodological grounds for risk-oriented surveillance over consumer products: tasks and development prospects in the Eurasian Economic Union
N.V. Zaitseva1, I.V. May1, S.I. Sychik2, E.V. Fedorenko2, L.M. Shevchuk2
1Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
2Scientific-practical Hygiene Center, 8 Akademicheskaya Str., Minsk, 220012, Republic of Belarus
The paper dwells on basic legal and sub-legislative documents issued in the EU, the USA, Canada, by the WTO and Codex Alimentarius Commission which provide control of consumer products safety on the basis of assessing risks for consumers' life and health. Risk-oriented surveillance is shown as a system which makes for lower loads on business but still provides systemic control over most hazardous products. The EU legislation fixes the right to perform supranational control over state control systems existing in the EU member states in terms of their relevance and legitimacy. This supranational control is supported by organizational structures and regulatory and methodological documents. National control systems are systematically reviewed and analyzed in order to secure their conformity to supranational regulatory acts, to detect any cases of non-compliance, and to spread the best practices. Risk analysis reviews and results are open and discussable. As a result of products hazards assessment their turnover can be limited, or they can be withdrawn from the market, or additional information on hazards or risks they may cause is to be provided for consumers. Public and constantly operating systems of informing about hazardous goods are well-developed. International experience and practices in the sphere of risk-oriented surveillance over consumer products can be and should be applied in the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) countries.
The Eurasian Economic Union countries fix orientation at observing consumer goods safety principles in their legislation. There are also legal grounds for and practices in the sphere of risk-oriented approach to products manufactures. But it is necessary to further develop a products classification system as per consumer health risk parameters. And this task requires working out unified approaches to classification of both eatable and non-eatable products. It seems relevant to develop a public analytical database of risk-oriented control created with the use of the control and surveillance activities results obtained in the EEU countries. All the involved parties should more actively interact and exchange information on issues of products risks assessment as it is a vital component required for further development of the system.
- Arnautov O.V. O sovershenstvovanii mekhanizmov ustanovleniya i izmeneniya pokazatelei kachestva i bezopasnosti pishchevoi produktsii v normativnykh i pravovykh aktakh Evraziiskogo Ekonomicheskogo Soyuza [On improvement of the mechanism for establishing and changing indicators of quality and food safety in the regulatory and legal acts of the Eurasian Economical Union]. Voprosy pitaniya, 2016, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 110–116 (in Russian).
- Kuchinskaya L.V. Opyt kontrolya i nadzora za potrebitel'skim rynkom stran-uchastnits Evropeiskogo so-yuza [Consumer market control and monitoring experience gained by eu countries]. Vestnik Rossiiskoi tamozhennoi akademii, 2010, no. 3, pp. 38–45 (in Russian).
- Litvinova O.S. Bezopasnost' pishchevoi produktsii v Rossiiskoi Federatsii: retrospektivnyi analiz, perspektivy kontrolya na osnove risk-orientirovannogo podkhoda [Food safety in the russian federation. retrospec-tive analysis, the prospects of control]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2016, no. 10, pp. 32–35 (in Rus-sian).
- Metodologiya otsenki riskov zdorov'yu naseleniya pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh, fizicheskikh i biologicheskikh faktorov dlya opredeleniya pokazatelei bezopasnosti produktsii (tovarov) [Methodology for assessing population health risks under exposure to chemical, physical, and biological factors to determine products (goods) safety parameters]. Moscow, Yumanite media, Publ., 2014, 120 p. (in Russian).
- Murzashev M.N., Kozhogulova G.A. Epidemiologicheskaya situatsiya po pishchevym otravleniyam, v tom chisle po botulizmu v g. Bishkek [Epidemiological situation on food poisoning, including botulism in Bishkek]. Zdravookhranenie Kyrgyzstana, 2016, no. 3, pp. 38–40 (in Russian).
- O sostoyanii sanitarno-epidemiologicheskogo blagopoluchiya naseleniya v Zabaikal'skom krae v 2016 godu: Doklad [On sanitary and epidemiologic welfare of the population in Zabaikalsk region in 2016: Report]. Upravlenie Federal'noi sluzhby po nadzoru v sfere zashchity prav potrebitelei i blagopoluchiya cheloveka po Za-baikal'skomu krayu, 2017, 224 p. (in Russian).
- Ryzhkov V.V., Kolupaev V.V., Efremov A.Yu. Issledovanie kharakternykh sluchaev pishchevykh otrav-lenii v molodezhnoi srede [Examination of typical food intoxications among young people]. Formirovanie issle-dovatel'skikh kompetentsii lichnosti didakticheskimi sredstvami: materialy nauch.-prakt. studench. konf.
(Voronezh, 20 apr. 2017 g.) [Developing research competences of a person via didactic techniques: materials of theoretical and practical students' conference (Voronezh, 20 April 2017 г.)]. In: A.Yu. Efremov, I.F. Berezhnaya, M.D. Kniga, eds. Cheboksary, TsNS «Interaktiv plyus», Publ., 2017, pp. 177–180 (in Russian).
- Sedik D., Ul'brikht K., Dzhamankulov N. Sistema kontrolya bezopasnosti pishchevoi produktsii v Evro-peiskom Soyuze i Evraziiskom ekonomicheskom soyuze [Control system food safety in the European Union and the Eurasian Economic Union]. Torgovaya politika, 2016, no. 2 (6), pp. 41–83 (in Russian).
- Fedorenko E.V. Pravovye osnovy primeneniya metodologii analiza riska pri obespechenii bezopasnosti pishchevoi produktsii v Evraziiskom ekonomicheskom soyuze i Respublike Belarus' [Legal basis for risk analysis methodology while ensuring food safety in the Eurasian Economic union and the Republic of Belarus]. Health Risk Analysis, 2015, no. 3, pp. 13–18. DOI: 10.21668/health.risk/2015.3.02.eng
- Fokin V.A. Identifikatsiya opasnosti s posleduyushchim provedeniem otsenki riska ostatochnykh kolichestv kadmiya v pishchevoi produktsii kak faktora riska razvitiya negativnykh effektov na zdorov'e cheloveka [Hazard identification, followed by risk assessment of residues of cadmium in food as a risk factor for adverse effects on human health]. Sanitarnyi vrach, 2015, no. 10, pp. 63–67 (in Russian).
- Formirovanie Evraziiskogo Ekonomicheskogo Soyuza: riski i shansy. Ezhegodnyi doklad Integratsionnogo kluba pri Predsedatele Soveta Federatsii Federal'nogo Sobraniya RF za 2014 god [Creation of the Eurasian Economic Union: risks and opportunities. The annual report by the Integration club supervised by the Chairman of the Federal Council, the RF Federal Assembly, 2014]. Moscow, Izdanie Soveta Federatsii, Publ., 2015, 95 p. (in Russian).
- Solodovnikov Yu.P., Gladkikh A.M., Shusherina T.F., Andreeva I.V., Tibekin A.T., Lytkina I.N., Ermolenko M.V. Epidemicheskaya vspyshka pishchevogo otravleniya vo vremya svad''by (chast' 1) [An epidemic out-break of food poisoning during the wedding (part 1)]. Zhurnal mikrobiologii, epidemiologii i immunobiologii, 2005, no. 1, pp. 111–112.
- Eriksson J., Öborn I., Olsson I.-M., Oskarsson A., Skerfving S., Eriksson J. Cadmium in food production systems: a health risk for sensitive population groups. Ambio, 2005, vol. 34, no. 4–5, pp. 344–351.
- Phillips Ia., Casewell M., Cox T., De Groot B., Friis Ch., Jones R., Nightingale Ch., Preston R., Waddell J. Does the use of antibiotics in food pose a risk to human health? A critical review of publishing data. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 2004, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 28.
- FAO Risk based imported food control. Rome. 2016. Available at: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i5381e.pdf (07.08.2017).
- General Use Products: Certification and Testing / United States Consumer Product Safety Comission. Business & Manufacturing. Testing Certification. Available at: https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufactu-ring/Testing-Certification/Gene... (07.08.2017).
- Guidance for risk assessment of food and feed from genetically modified plants. EFSA Journal, 2011, no. 9, pp. 2150.
- New Legislative Framework. European Commission: Single Market for Goods. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/goods/new-legislative-framewor... (07.08.2017).
- Overview Reports. European Commission: Food. Health and Food audits and analysis. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/food/audits-analysis/overview_reports/index.cfm (07.08.2017).
- Port Surveillance News: CPSC Uses Pilot Risk Assessment Tool to Strengthen Import Safety Program. CPSC.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal, 2013. Available at: https://www.cpsc.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2014/cpsc-uses-pilot-risk-as... (07.08.2017).
- Snyder v. Am. Ass’n of Blood Banks, 144 N.J. 269 (N.J. June 4, 1996). Available at: https://www.case-briefs.com/blog/law/torts/torts-keyed-to-dobbs/the-duty... (07.08.2017).