Risk of arterial hypertension in workers employed at coal-mining enterprises: social and hygienic assessment
A.N. Chigisova1, M.Yu. Ogarkov1,2, S.A. Maksimov1
1 Research Institute for Complex Issues of Cardiovascular Diseases, 6 Sosnoviy blvd, Kemerovo, 650002, Russian Federation
2 Novokuznetskiy State Institute for Medical Workers Development, 5 Stroiteley Ave., Novokuznetsk, 654005, Russian Federation
We analyzed risks of arterial hypertension development in occupational groups employed at coal-mining enterprises in Kemerovo region (1,915 workers). We used data on arterial hypertension development in Kemerovo region as our reference group; these data were obtained within the framework of ESSE-RF epidemiologic research (700 people aged 25–64 were exam-ined). We noted that work at coal-mining enterprises involved several factors which could have negative influence on workers' health. Working conditions for those workers who had to stay in a mine during the whole working shift meant that workers were under negative impacts caused by unfavorable microclimate and heavy dust loads. To eliminate age discrepancies between workers employed at coal-mining enterprises and the reference group, we performed standardization as per age (data on the reference group were taken as our standard). We calculated arterial hypertension frequencies in the chosen occupational groups and determined relative risks of arterial hypertension via creation of contingency tables. To exclude any influence that might be exerted on relative risks of arterial hypertension by occupational selection, we corrected the obtained results as per "health recruitment effect". Miners had lower arterial hypertension prevalence among them than unorganized sampling made of ordinary Kemerovo region population, 28.46 % and 53.29 % (p<0.001). We showed that statistically significant low risks of arterial hypertension among workers were due to occupational selection they had to undergo when being recruited. As we per-formed this correction as per "healthy recruitment effect" arterial hypertension risks for miners and drifters changed from sta-tistically significant low to statistically significant high, from 0.55 (95 % CI 0.48–0.64) to 1.14 (95 % CI 1.04–1.26). So, if we want to assess arterial hypertension prevalence and risks in occupational groups where occupational selection can't be excluded we should perform this additional correction to remove "healthy recruitment effect".
- Babanov S.A., Baraeva R.A. Porazheniya serdechno-sosudistoi sistemy pri professional'nykh zabo¬le¬va-niyakh [Damage to cardiovascular system caused by occupational diseases]. Consilium Medicum, 2014, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 68–74 (in Russian).
- Bondarev O.I., Bugaeva M.S. Patogeneticheskie aspekty razvitiya arterial'noi gipertenzii u rabotnikov ugol'noi promyshlennosti [Pathogenetic aspects of development of arterial hypertension in coal workers]. Kompleksnye problemy serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevanii, 2015, no. 1, pp. 46–50 (in Russian).
- Maksimov S.A., Skripchenko A.E., Mikhailuts A.P., Artamonova G.V. Identifikatsiya professional'nogo riska arterial'noi gipertenzii. Soobshchenie II: Ustranenie effekta zdorovogo rabochego [Identification of occupational risk for arterial hypertension. Report II: elimination of the modifyng influence of factors of cardiovascular risk]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 365–369 (in Russian).
- Kulesh S.D. Vozrastnaya standartizatsiya pokazatelei zdorov'ya [Age standardization of health indicators]. Zhurnal Grodnenskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta, 2011, no. 4, pp. 78–79 (in Russian).
- Maksimov S.A., Mikhailuts A.P., Artamonova G.V. Identifikatsiya professional'nogo riska arterial'noi gipertenzii. Soobshchenie I: ustranenie modifitsiruyushchego vliyaniya faktorov serdechno-sosudistogo riska [Identification of occupational risk for arterial hypertension. 1: elimination of the modifyng influence of factors of cardiovascular risk]. Gigiena i sanitariya, 2016, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 262–266 (in Russian).
- Maksimov S.A. Effekt zdorovogo rabochego v epidemiologicheskikh issledovaniyakh [Healthy worker effect in epidemiological researches]. Meditsina v Kuzbasse, 2015, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 10–16 (in Russian).
- Golovkova N.P., Chebotarev A.G., Kaledina N.O., Khelkovskii-Sergeev N.A. Otsenka uslovii truda, professional'nogo riska, sostoyaniya professional'noi zabolevaemosti i proizvodstvennogo travmatizma rabochikh ugol'noi promyshlennosti [Assessment of working conditions, occupational risk, occupational morbidity and occupational traumatism of coal-mining workers]. Gornyi informatsionno-analiticheskii byulleten' (nauchno-tekhnicheskii zhurnal), 2011, no. 7, pp. 9–40 (in Russian).
- Maksimov S.A., Zinchuk S.F., Davydova E.A., Zinchuk V.G. Riski i ikh otsenka v mediko-biologicheskikh issledovaniyakh: metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Risks and their assessment in medical and biological research: methodical guidelines]. Kemerovo, GOU VPO KemGMA Roszdrava Publ., 2010, 29 p. (in Russian).
- R 2.2.2006-05. Gigiena truda. Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i trudovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassifikatsiya uslovii truda: Rukovodstvo [Labor hygiene. Guidelines on hygienic assessment of working environment and labor process factors. Criteria and working conditions classification: Guidelines]. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200040973 (23.04.2017) (in Russian).
- Semenikhin V.A. Profilaktika professional'nykh zabolevanii u rabotnikov, zanyatykh vo vrednykh usloviyakh truda: metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Prevention of occupational diseases for workers functioning under hazardous working conditions: methodical guidelines]. Kemerovo, 2015, 34 p. (in Russian).
- Telkova I.L. Professional'nye osobennosti truda i serdechno-sosudistye zabolevaniya: risk razvitiya i problemy profilaktiki. Kliniko-epidemiologicheskii analiz [Occupational characteristics and cardiovascular diseases: the risk of development and the challenges for prevention. Clinical-epidemiological analysis]. Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 2012, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 17–26 (in Russian).
- Epidemiologiya serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevanii v razlichnykh regionakh Rossii (ESSE-RF). Obosnovanie i dizain issledovaniya [Epidemiology of cardiovascular diseases in different regions of Russia (esse-rf). The rationale for and design of the study]. Profilakticheskaya meditsina, 2013, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 25–34 (in Russian).
- Narváez I., Sáez de Lafuente J.P., Sáez Y., Lafuente P.J., Iriarte J.A. Arterial Hypertension as a Cardiovascular Risk Factor in an Elderly Community of Low Social Condition. Journal of Clinical and Basic Cardiology, 2001, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 225–227.
- Basanec' A.V., Andrushhenko T.A. Hvoroby systemy krovoobigu pry dii profesijnyh faktoriv [Cardio¬vas-cular diseases under the action of occupational factors]. Ukrains'kyj zhurnal z problem medycyny praci, 2010, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 71–81 (In Ukrainian).
- Bonita R., Beaglehole R., Kjellstrom T. Basic epidemiology. 2nd edition. Genevе, World Health Organization, 2006, 213 p.
- Zheng Y., Liang L., Qin T., Yang G., An S., Wang Y., Li Z., Shao Z., Zhu X., Yao T., Wu S., Cai J. Cross-section analysis of coal workers’pneumoconiosis and higher brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity within Kailuan study. BMC Public Health, 2017. Available at: https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/ar-ticles/10.1186/s12889-017-4... (12.03.2017). DOI: 10.1186/s12889-017-4048-7
- Milojković B., Đindjić B., Radenković S., Kocić G., Milojković B. Essential arterial hypertension and risk factors associated with hypertensive nephropathy. Acta Medica Medianae, 2014, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 15–21. DOI: 10.5633/amm.2014.0403
- Epidemiology of occupational health. In: M. Karvonen, M.I. Mikheev, eds. Genevе, World Health Orga-nization. WHO Regional Publications, European Series, 1986, no. 20, 394 p.
- Maksimov S.A., Artamonova G.V. Modeling of arterial hypertension’s risk in occupational groups. Russian Open Medical Journal, 2013, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–5.