Giving grounds for physiological-ergonomic activities aimed at reducing eye fatigue caused by work with visual display terminals
V.V. Matyukhin, E.F. Shardakova, E.G. Yampolskaya, V.V. Elizarova
Izmerov Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31 Budennogo Av., Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
The research was performed on occupational groups which combined visual display terminals (VDT) users. Basic oc-cupational activity of such workers was information input and information read-out from a screen. Constant visual work with a display is a risk factor which can cause health disorders. It makes for visual analyzer strain which becomes apparent through decrease in accommodation as a result of changes in the closest and the farthest point of clear vision. As period of work with a screen becomes longer, fatigue grows, and visual analyzer performance decreases. There are other signs prov-ing eye fatigue; they are changes in temporary characteristics of clear vision stability which are determined by a period of successive contrast perception, and critical fusion frequency which reflects the central nervous system instability.
Long-term visually stressful work with VDT causes strain in the body systems which provide visual process. Non-mobile forced "sitting" position can also cause decrease in physical efficiency. Research which was conducted on workers who had to spend more than 4 hours a shift at VDT in their working environment helped to reveal a dependence between their overall physical efficiency and changes in visual analyzer during a shift. The lower workers' physical efficiency was (both male and female), the greater accommodation decrease was detected in them. It is shown that visually stressful work performed by people with low physical efficiency can make for transfer of strain evolving during a shift into overstrain.
To prevent eye fatigue as well as overall one in VDT users, it is necessary to work out complex preventive activities which include work and rest regimes; preventive measures aimed at vision strain relieving; correction techniques which help to improve physical efficiency; rational workplace organization.
- Bakutkin I.V., Spirin V.F., Bakutkin V.V. Rannyaya diagnostika zritel'nogo utomleniya i blizorukosti v usloviyakh vysokoi zritel'noi nagruzki v techenie rabochei smeny [Early diagnostics of eye fatigue and myopia under high visual load during a working shift]. Professiya i zdorov'e: Materialy ХI Vserossiiskogo congress [Occupation and health: materials of the ХI All-Russian congress]. In: N.F. Izmerov, ed. Moscow, REINFOR Publ., 2012, pp. 75–76 (in Russian).
- Videodispleinye terminaly i zdorov'e pol'zovatelei: materialy Vsemirnoi organizatsii zdravookhraneniya № 99 [Visual display terminals and users' health: World Health Organization materials No. 99]. From Eng. V.M. Bon¬darovskaya, A.S. Kovalenko. Zheneva, WHO Publ., 1989, 150 p. (in Russian).
- Agadzhanyan N.A., Dvoenosov V.G., Ermakova N.V., Morozova G.V., Yusupov R.A. Dvigatel'naya ak-tivnost' i zdorov'e [Physical activity and health]. Kazan', Izd-vo KGU, Publ., 2005, 216 p. (in Russian).
- Ignat'ev S.A., Kornyushina T.A., Shapovalov S.L., Milyavskaya T.I. Zritel'noe utomlenie pri rabote s vide-odispleinymi terminalami i sovremennye metody ego profilaktiki [Eye fatigue caused by work with visual display terminals and contemporary techniques used to prevent it]. Moscow, MIK, Publ., 2013, 240 p. (in Russian).
- Fatkhutdinova L.M., Izmailov M.F., Amirov N.Kh., Gallyamov A.B. Izuchenie vegetativnykh narushenii u pol'zovatelei videodispleinykh terminalov [Studies on vegetative disorders in visual display terminals users]. Ka-zanskii meditsinskii zhurnal, 1999, no. 6, pp. 443–445 (in Russian).
- Kuz'menko M.A., Poteryaeva E.L., Gusarevich O.G., Romeiko V.L. Komp'yuternyi zritel'nyi sindrom i razvitie professional'noi oftal'mopatii u operatorov PEVM [Computer visual syndrome and occupational ophthalmopathy in PC operators]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2010, no. 1, pp. 31–35 (in Russian).
- Kornyushina T.A. Fiziologicheskie mekhanizmy razvitiya zritel'nogo utomleniya pri vypolnenii zritel'no-napryazhennykh rabot [Physiological mechanisms of eye fatigue evolvement caused by visually stressful work]. Vestnik oftal'mologii, 2000, no. 4, pp. 33–36 (in Russian).
- Kudryashova Zh.M. O nekotorykh osobennostyakh zritel'nogo sensornogo vospriyatiya pri dlitel'nom ogranichenii myshechnoi aktivnosti [On certain peculiarities of visual sensory perception under long-term restricted muscular activity]. Funktsionirovanie analizatorov pri deistvii na organizm ekstremal'nykh razdrazhitelei: Sbornik materialov simpoziuma. Leningrad, 1974, pp. 21–24 (in Russian).
- Kuz'menko M.A., Nesina I.A., Poteryaeva E.L. Ispol'zovanie vitaminno-mineral'nogo kompleksa «zhivaya kletka» dlya profilaktiki komp'yuternogo zritel'nogo sindroma u ofisnykh rabotnikov [Use of "living cell" vitamin and minerals complex to prevent computer visual syndrome in office workers]. Professiya i zdorov'e: Materialy IХ Vserossiiskogo kongressa i IV Vserossiiskogo s"ezda vrachei-profpatologov [Occupation and health: materials of the ХI All-Russian congress and IV All-Russian congress of occupational pathologists]. In N.F. Izmerov, ed. Mos-cow, Del'ta Publ., 2010, pp. 296–298 (in Russian).
- Metody issledovaniya i farmakologicheskoi korrektsii fizicheskoi rabotosposobnosti cheloveka [Tech-niques for examination and pharmaceutical correction of human physical performance]. In: I.B. Ushakov, ed. Moscow, Meditsina Publ., 2007, 104 p. (in Russian).
- Mironov A.I., Gadakchan K.A., Zhilova N.A. Fiziologo-gigienicheskaya otsenka truda i zdorov'ya lits zritel'no-napryazhennogo truda [Physiological-hygienic assessment of labor and health for people employed at workplaces with visually stressful labor]. Materialy Х Vserossiiskogo s"ezda gigienistov i sanitarnykh vrachei [Materials of Х All-Russian congress of hygienists and sanitary inspectors]. In: G.G. Onishchenko, A.I. Potapov, eds. Moscow, 2007, vol. 2, pp. 1180–1182 (in Russian).
- Feigin A.A., Mikhaleva S.P., Korzh T.V., Kornyushina T.A. Professional'naya oftal'mopatiya i gipok-ineziya: diagnostika, lechenie, profilaktika [Occupational ophthalmopathy and hypokinesis: diagnostics, treatment, and prevention]. Professiya i zdorov'e: Materialy III Vserossiiskogo kongressa [Occupation and health: Materials of III All-Russian congress]. In: N.F. Izmerov, ed. Moscow, Del'ta, Publ., 2004, pp. 415–417 (in Russian).
- Sarkisyan G.T. Otsenka uslovii truda, funktsional'nye narusheniya nervnoi sistemy, zritel'nogo analizatora u rabochikh komp'yuternykh firm g. Erevana i ikh profilaktika [Working conditions assessment, functional disorders of nervous system and visual analyzer in workers employed by computer firms in city of Erevan and their prevention]. Professiya i zdorov'e: Materialy IХ Vserossiiskogo kongressa i IV Vserossiiskogo s"ezda vrachei-profpatologov [Occupation and health: materials of the ХI All-Russian congress and IV All-Russian congress of occupational pathologists]. In: N.F. Izmerov, eds. Moscow, Del'ta, Publ., 2010, pp. 448–450 (in Russian).
- Sautkin V.S., Potapov N.N. Sostoyanie zritel'nogo analizatora i profilaktika utomleniya pri rabote s vide-odispleinymi terminalami [Visual analyzer state and prevention of fatigue during work with visual display termi-nals]. Oftal'mologicheskii zhurnal, 2000, no. 1, pp. 74–76 (in Russian).
- Tebenova K.S. K voprosu o professional'noi deyatel'nosti rabotnikov VDT s ergonomicheskikh pozitsii i spetsifiki okazyvaemykh imi uslug svyazi [On issues of occupational activities which VDT workers are involved in from the ergonomic point of view and peculiarities of communication services they provide]. Gigiena truda i med-itsinskaya ekologiya, 2011, no. 1, pp. 42–51 (in Russian).
- Feigin A.A. Komp'yuternyi zritel'nyi sindrom (KZS) u rabotayushchikh na PEVM [Computer vision syn-drome (CVS) in people working on PCs]. Problemy snizheniya professional'nykh riskov pri rabote na PEVM i VDT: sbornik vystuplenii uchastnikov nauchno-prakticheskikh seminarov [Issues of lowering occupational risks during work on a PC or with a VDT: a collection of reports by participants of theory and practical workshops]. Moscow, VNII okhrany i ekonomiki truda Roszdrava, Publ., 2008, pp. 85–90 (in Russian).
- Fudin N.A., Klassina S.Ya., Pigareva S.N. Vzaimosvyaz' pokazatelei myshechnoi i serdechno-sosudistoi sistem pri vozrastayushchei fizicheskoi nagruzke u lits, zanimayushchikhsya fizicheskoi kul'turoi i sportom [Rela-tionship between the parameters of muscular and cardiovascular systems in graded exercise testing in subjects do-ing regular exercises and sports]. Fiziologiya cheloveka, 2015, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 82–90 (in Russian).
- Shumilin V.K., Elin A.M. Osnovnye faktory riska pri rabote na PEVM i ikh vliyanie na zdorov'e pol'zovatelei [Basic risk factors of work on PCs and their influence on users' health]. Problemy snizheniya professional'nykh riskov pri rabote na PEVM i VDT: sbornik vystuplenii uchastnikov nauchno-prakticheskikh seminarov [Issues of lowering occupational risks during work on a PC or with a VDT: a collection of reports by participants of theory and practical workshops]. Moscow, VNII okhrany i ekonomiki truda Roszdrava, Publ., 2008, pp. 31–43 (in Russian).
- Yampol'skaya E.G., Shardakova E.F., Elizarova V.V. Osobennosti funktsional'nykh izmenenii organizma rabotnikov, vypolnyayushchikh pretsizionnye raboty [The peculiarities of functional changes of organisms of workers, who carried out precession works]. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Biologiya i ekologiya, 2007, no. 6, pp. 75–79 (in Russian).
- Nakazawa T., Okubo Y., Suwazono Y., Kobayashi E., Komine S., Kato N., Nogawa K. Association be-tween duration of daily VDT use and subjective symptoms. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2002, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 421–426.
- Parihar J.K., Jain V.K., Chaturvedi P., Kaushik J., Jain G., Parihar A.K. Computer and visual display termi-nals (VDT) vision syndrome (CVDTS). Medical Journal Armed Forces India, 2016, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 270–276.
- Irbarren R., Irbarren G. Visual function study in work with computer. Medicina (B. Aires), 2002, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 141–144.
- Mocci F., Serra A., Corrias G.A. Psychogical factors and visual fatigue in working with video display terminals. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2001, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 267–271.
- Sheedy I.E. What is in a name: computer vision syndrome. Optometry, 2002, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 399–402.