Examination of social and psychological factors casuing occupational stress in labor migrants
M. Khodzhiev, N.F. Izmerov , I.V. Bukhtiyarov
Izmerov's Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31 Budennogo avenue, Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
We examined significance which social and psychological factors had in occupational stress evolvement in labor migrants who came to Moscow and Moscow region from Central Asia republics. A separate issue was sexual harassment occurrence which female migrants and Moscow region females faced. Psychological tension, i.e. occupational stress, is a contemporary danger in non-conventional working process (labor migration) and it attracts attention of occupational medicine experts. We determined that there were some social and psychological reasons for occupational stress, such as dissatisfaction with work, low level of integration in working teams, poor living conditions. As per questioning results we revealed single harassment cases (3-5%) and their number was the same both for female migrants and for females from Moscow region. Neuro-emotional labor intensity category amounted to 3.3-3.2 for millwrights, subways builders, steelmen, and road construction workers; it amounted to 3.1 for other workers; as for female migrants employed in social sphere, their work category was 3.2. The follow-ing physiological and psychological peculiarities characterize people with low working adaptation as per criteria of great occu-pational stress evolvement probability: low attention level, slow visual signals perception, prevalence of high systolic and dia-stolic blood pressure as a sign of arterial hypertension evolvement. Functional state of labor migrants mostly corresponds to "working strain of 1st and 2nd degree" and "overstrain". Staging in occupational stress evolvement in labor migrants is deter-mined by level of labor neuro-emotional intensity.
It seems vital to provide social and psychological support for labor migrants which can include improvements in occupa-tional training, informing workers on health risks occurring at their working places, training on safe working practices, devel-opment of occupational selection culture, organization of rational work and rest regime, providing social support for workers.
- Balabanov S.S., Saralieva Z.Kh. Seksual'nye domogatel'stva na rabote v Rossii [Sexual advances on work in Russia]. Vestnik nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo. Seriya: Sotsial'nye nauki, 2010, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 7–12. (in Russian).
- Velichkovskii B.T. Sotsial'nyi stress, trudovaya motivatsiya i zdorov'e [Social stress, labor motivation and health]. Byulleten' nauchnogo soveta «Mediko-ekologicheskie problemy zdorov'ya rabotayushchikh», 2005, no. 2, pp. 9–18 (in Russian).
- Galimov A.R., Kaibyshev V.T. Zdorov'e kak nravstvennaya tsennost' i ego samootsenka vrachami [Health as moral value and its assessment by doctors]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2005, no. 7, pp. 37–42 (in Russian).
- Dement'eva S.V. Osobennosti adaptatsii migrantov iz zarubezhnykh stran v gorodakh Rossii po dannym sotsiologicheskikh issledovanii [Adaptation peculiarities of migrants from foreign countries in Russian cities as per sociological research data]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Inzhiniring georesursov, 2005, vol. 308, no. 5, pp.195–199. (in Russian).
- Dzhafarli N. Sovershenstvovanie mekhanizma sotsial'noi adaptatsii migrantov v Rossii [Developing a so-cial adaptation mechanisms of migrants in Russia]. Sovremennaya psikhologiya: teoriya i praktika: materialy KhVI mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Contemporary psychology: theory and practice: Materials of the ХVI international theoretical and practical conference]. Moscow, Institut strategicheskikh issledovanii Publ., 2015, pp. 101–105 (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F., Lipenetskaya T.D., Matyukhin V.V. Stress na proizvodstve kak vazhnaya sostavlyayushchaya problemy psikhicheskogo zdorov'ya v obshchestve [Occupational stress as a significant part of psychological health in a society.]. Rossiiskii psikhiatricheskii zhurnal, 2005, no. 2, pp. 12–16 (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F., Matyukhin V.V., Yushkova O.I. Stress na rabote [Stress at work]. Bezopasnost' i meditsina truda, 2001, no. 3, pp. 32–37 (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F., Tikhonova G.I. Problemy zdorov'ya rabotayushchego naseleniya v Rossii [Health protection problems in Russia's working population]. Problemy prognozirovaniya, 2011, no. 3, pp. 56–70 (in Russian).
- Kalinina S.A. Rol' psikho-sotsial'nykh faktorov v formirovanii professional'nogo stressa u rabotnikov s razlichnoi stepen'yu napryazhennosti truda [The role of psychological and social factors in establishment of professional stress of workers with different labor intensity]. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya Biologiya i ekologiya, 2007, no. 6, pp. 44–49 (in Russian).
- Profilaktika stressovogo sostoyaniya rabotnikov pri razlichnykh vidakh professional'noi deyatel'nosti: Metodicheskie rekomendatsii MR 184.108.40.2061-07 [Prevention of stress in workers with various occupations: Me-thodical Guidelines MP 220.127.116.111-07]. Moscow, Gosudarstvennym uchrezhdeniem Nauchno-issledovatel'skii in-stitut meditsiny truda RAMN, 2007, 26 p.
- Poletaev D.V. Adaptatsiya domashnikh rabotnikov-migrantov v Rossii [Adaptation of domestic migrant workers in Russia]. Tezisy dokladov mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii «Chelovek v menyayushchemsya mire. Problemy identichnosti i sotsial'noi adaptatsii v istorii i sovremennosti: metodologiya, metodika i praktiki issledovaniya» [Theses of the reports, International scientific conference «A man in the changing world. Historical and contemporary issues of identity and social adaptation: methodology, methods and research practices»]. Tomsk, Izd-vo Tomskogo universiteta, 2014, pp. 95–96. (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i trudovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassi-fikatsiya uslovii truda R 2.2.20006-05 [Guide on hygienic assessment of working environment factors and working process factors. Labor conditions criteria and classification Р 2.2.20006-05]. Moscow, Federal'nyi tsentr gigieny i epidemiologii Rospotrebnadzora, Publ., 2005, 142 p. (in Russian).
- Simonova N.I. Znachimost' psikhosotsial'nykh faktorov trudovogo protsessa dlya rabotnikov ralichnykh professii v sovremennykh usloviyakh [Importance of psycho-social factors of work process for variable occupations in contemporary conditions]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2008, no. 6, pp.41–47 (in Russian).
- Belkic K., Landsberqis P.A. Is job strain a major source of cardiovascular risk. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2004, vol. 30, no.2, pp.85–128.
- Kivimak M., Leonon-Arjas P. Work stress and risk of coronary mortality :prospective cohort study of in-dustrial employees. British. Medical. Journal, 2002, no.3, pp. 857–863.