A priori assessment of occupational health risk for vegetables greenhouse workers
A.G. Migacheva1, T.A. Novikova1, V.F. Spirin1, D.M. Shlyapnikov2
1 Saratov scientific research institute of rural hygiene, 1A Zarechnaya Str., Saratov, 410022, Russian Federation
2 Federal Scientific Center for Medical and Preventive Health Risk Management Technologies, 82 Monastyrskaya Str., Perm, 614045, Russian Federation
We performed comprehensive hygienic examination of working conditions in greenhouses at a greenhouse complex in Saratov region. Our research goal was to a priori assess occupational health risk for greenhouse workers on the basis of working conditions classification as per deviations of environment parameters and working process from the existing hygienic standards. We examined microclimate parameters in cold and warm seasons, contamination or working area air with hazardous chemicals and aerosols; we also performed occupational and time studies of work activities when basic working tasks were accomplished during an annual vegetables growing cycle in greenhouses. We detected that green-house workers during their working activity were exposed to a set of hazardous factors; the prevailing ones were heating microclimate, occurrence of hazardous chemicals and dust in increased concentrations in working area air, hardness of labor process which involved excessive physical exercise, long-term work in an inconvenient posture, frequent body bend-ings, and necessity to spend a lot of time standing. Overall hygienic assessment of greenhouse working conditions corre-sponded to 3 degree category of hazardous conditions (3.3 danger class) allowing for impacts exerted by a set of hazard-ous working environment factors and working process itself during annual working cycle. Hazardous working conditions caused occupational health risk for greenhouse workers which, in conformity with R 2.21766-03, corresponded to high (intolerable) risk when urgent activities aimed at its reduction were to be accomplished. Our research result prove that it is vital to perform further research on greenhouse workers health as per data on periodical medical examinations, more profound study of morbidity with temporary disablement, and other socially significant health parameters.
- Klepikov O.V., Mamchik N.P., Gabbasova N.V., Kalashnikov Yu.S. Vliyanie uslovii truda na sostoyanie zdorov'ya rabochikh v teplichnom proizvodstve [Influence of work conditions on health state of workers engaged into hothouse production]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2016, no.7, pp. 21–25 (in Russian).
- Mamchik N.P., Borisova L.S., Kameneva O.V. Gigienicheskie aspekty formirovaniya zabolevaemosti rabotnikov teplichnykh khozyaistv [Hygiene-related diseases of greenhouse workers]. Nauchno-meditsinskii vestnik Tsentral'nogo Chernozem'ya, 2014, no. 58, pp. 3–9 (in Russian).
- Migacheva A.G. Sostoyanie uslovii truda i ikh vliyanie na zdorov'e ovoshchevodov zashchishchennogo grunta [The state of labor conditions and their impact on health of vegetable-growing workers of secure soil]. Zdravookhranenie Rossiiskoi Federatsii, 2013, no. 6, pp. 47–48 (in Russian).
- Migacheva A.G., Spirin V.F. Otsenka professional'nogo riska zdorov'yu ovoshchevodov zashchishchen-nogo grunta po gigienicheskim i mediko-biologicheskim pokazatelyam [Assessment of occupational health risk greenhouse workers on the hygienic and medical and biological indicators]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2016, no. 9, pp. 28–32 (in Russian).
- Moiseeva I.V., Borisova L.S., Yatsyna D.S. Rol' proizvodstvennykh faktorov v formirovanii sostoyaniya zdorov'ya u rabotnikov teplichnogo khozyaistva [Contribution made by production factors into greenhouse workers' health state]. Gigiena, toksikologiya, profpatologiya: traditsii i sovremennost': Materialy Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem [Hygiene, toxicology, and occupational pathology: traditions and today situation: Materials of Russian theoretical and practical conference with international participation]. In: A.Yu. Popova, V.N. Rakitskii, eds. Moscow, 2016, pp. 514–517 (in Russian).
- MUK 4.3.2755-10. Integral'naya otsenka nagrevayushchego mikroklimata: Metodicheskie ukazaniya [MG 4.3.2755-10. Integral assessment of heating microclimate: Methodical guidelines]. Moscow, Federal'nyitsentrgigienyiepidemiologii, Publ. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200087779 (22.05.2017) (in Russian).
- Novikova T.A., Spirin V.F., Mikhailova N.A. [et al.]. Professional'nyi risk dlya zdorov'ya rabotnikov sel'skogo khozyaistva, gigienicheskie aspekty ego otsenki i upravleniya (obzor literatury) [Occupational hazard of agricultural workers health, hygienic aspects of its appraisal and management. (A survey of literature)]. Meditsina truda i promyshlennaya ekologiya, 2012, no. 5, pp. 22–28 (in Russian).
- Popova A.Yu. Problemy i tendentsii professional'noi zabolevaemosti rabotnikov sel'skogo khozyaistva Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Issues and trends in occupational morbidity of agricultural workers of the Russian Federa-tion]. Zdorov'e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya, 2016, no. 9, pp. 4–9. (in Russian).
- R 2.2.1766-03. Rukovodstvo po otsenke professional'nogo riska dlya zdorov'ya rabotnikov. Organizatsionno-metodicheskie osnovy, printsipy i kriterii otsenki: rukovodstvo [Guidelines on occupational health risk assessment. Organizational and methodical grounds, principles, and assessment criteria: guidelines]. Moscow, Federal'nyi tsentr gossanepidnadzora Minzdrava Rossii, Publ., 2004, 24 p. (in Russian).
- R 2.2.2006-05. Gigiena truda. Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i tru-dovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassifikatsiya uslovii truda: rukovodstvo [Labor hygiene. Guide on hygienic assess-ment of working environment factors and working processes factors. Working conditions criteria and classification: guidelines]. Availableat: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200040973 (14.02.2017) (inRussian).
- Ryzhkova N.S., Smirnov G.N., Shirokov Yu.A. Problemy uluchsheniya uslovii truda rabotnikov zash-chishchennogo grunta [Issues of working conditions improvement for greenhouse workers]. Sovremennye tendentsii razvitiya nauki i tekhnologii, 2017, no. 2–3, pp. 91–94 (in Russian).
- Wohlfahrt-Veje C., Andersen H.R., Schmidt I.M., Aksglaede L., Sørensen K., Juul A., Jensen T.K., Grandjean P., Skakkebaek N.E., Main K.M. Early breast development in girls after prenatal exposure to non-persistent pesticides. Int. J. Androl., 2012, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 273–82.
- Hansen V.M., Meyling N.V., Jørgen Eilenberg A.W., Madsen A.M. Factors Affecting Vegetable Growers’ Exposure to Fungal Bioaerosols and Airborne Dust. Ann. Occup. Hyg., 2012, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 170–181.
- Barrero L.H., Pulido J.A., Berrio S., Monroy M., Quintana L.A., Ceballos C., Hoehne-Hueckstaedt U., Ellegast R. Physical workloads of the upper-extremity among workers of the Colombian flower industry. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2012, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 926–939.
- Liu S., Li L.Y., Li Z.H., Wen D.L., Wang X.G. Risk factors on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among greenhouse workers in Liaoning province. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 2012, vol. 33, no.3, pp. 280–285.