Occupational reporiductive system diseases in female workers employed at worplaces with harmful working conditions
M.A. Fesenko1, O.V. Sivochalova1, E.V. Fedorova2
1 Izmerov Research Institute of Occupational Health, 31 Budennogo Av., Moscow, 105275, Russian Federation
2 National Research University "MEI", 14 Krasnokazarmennaya Str., Moscow, 111250, Russian Federation
The paper outlines the data obtained in the course of long-term research dedicated to studying the extent to which re-productive system pathologies in workers with high-risk occupations are occupationally induced. Their peculiarity is joint impacts of various occupational factors (for example, impacts exerted by chemicals together with physical and biological factors, and labor hardness and intensity as well) on a female body.
Our research goal was to examine the extent to which reproductive system pathologies in workers with high-risk occupations were occupationally induced. To achieve it, we applied statistical estimate of correlation between health disorders and work.
Our occupational group included a number of occupations with harmful or hazardous working conditions in civil en-gineering, metallurgy, chemical industry, polymer-processing industry, and health care as well. As a rule, working condi-tions class of workers from the examined groups varied from 3.1 to 3.3; and occupation with permissible working conditions were used as a comparative group.
The research results revealed that there are certain occupations with high risk of reproductive health disorders evolvement and infants development pathologies evolvement. They are:
– model makers and checkers in civil engineering and crane operators at a metallurgic plant;
– analysts at chemical analysis laboratories, chemical engineers in chemical industry (including petrochemical plants, polymer-processing plants, and organic synthesis plants);
– surgeons, obstetrician-gynecologists, midwives, surgical nurses working in in-patient departments.
Estimate of correlation and occupational dependence of reproductive system diseases on working conditions revealed that women with harmful working conditions (3.1–3.3 hazard class) had defective pregnancies or labor pathologies which had strong and average correlation with working conditions. Health disorders in newborns were estimated as per very strong corre-lation with mother's work. Thus, we can state that a mother occupational risk induction for a child health is fundamentally proved. On the basis of the obtained results we rank female workers with 3 class 2 harm degree working conditions as having an occupation with high risks of reproductive health disorders.
We worked out an algorithm aimed at managing these risks; it should be applied in order to lower occupational risks for reproduction in female workers.
- Denisov E.I., Stepanyan I.V., Chelishcheva M.Yu. Professional'nyi risk: direktorii-spravochnik (svid. o gos. registratsii № 2011610345 ot 11.01.2011) [Occupational risk: directory (State registration certificate No. 2011610345 issued on January 11, 2011)]. Available at: http://medtrud.com/#collapse_One (18.03.2016) (in Rus-sian).
- Ivanova M.K., Sitdikova I.D., Vaziev I.K., Sitdikov A.R. Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e rabotnikov s pozitsii tekhnogeneza [Reproductive health of workers from a position of technogenesis]. Sovremennoe iskusstvo meditsiny, 2011, no. 1, pp. 81–84 (in Russian).
- Makarova-Zemlyanskaya E.N., Potapenko A.A. Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e rabotnits gal'vanicheskogo tsekha [Reproductive health of female workers employed at a electroplating shop]. Gigienicheskaya nauka i sanitarnaya praktika v tvorchestve molodykh: Nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya [Hygienic science and sanitary practices in youth creative work: brief outlines of reports made at a theory and practice conference]. Mytishchi, 2005, pp. 87–90 (in Russian).
- Morozova T.V., Fesenko M.A. Professional'nyi risk i reproduktivnaya patologiya rabotnikov polimerpererabatyvayushchei promyshlennosti [Occupational risk and reproductive pathology in workers employed at polymer-processing plants]. Zhizn' bez opasnostei. Zdorov'e. Profilaktika. Dolgoletie, 2012, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 76–81 (in Russian).
- Sivochalova O.V., Gainullina M.K., Yakupova A.Kh., Karimova L.K., Irmyakova A.R. Otsenka urovnya ginekologicheskoi zabolevaemosti, etiologicheski obuslovlennaya vozdeistviem na rabotnits toksicheskikh vesh-chestv [Evaluation of the level of gynecological morbidity, etiological caused by the impact on workers of toxic substances]. Meditsina truda i ekologiya cheloveka, 2015, no. 2, pp. 33–38 (in Russian).
- Potapenko A.A. Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e meditsinskikh rabotnikov – zhenshchin [Reproductive health of medical workers-women]. Zdravookhranenie, 2013, no. 2, pp. 80–85 (in Russian).
- Izmerov N.F., Sivochalova O.V., Fesenko M.A., Denisov E.I., Golovaneva G.V. Problema sokhraneniya reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya rabotnikov pri vozdeistvii vrednykh faktorov proizvodstvennoi i okruzhayushchei sredy [The issues of workers reproductive health protection from harmful occupational end enviromenral exposures]. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii meditsinskikh nauk, 2012, no. 12, pp. 47–53 (in Russian).
- Babanov S.A., Agarkova I.A., Lipatov I.S., Tezikov Yu.V. Professional'nye porazheniya reproduktivnoi sistemy [Occupational damage to reproductive system]. RMZh, 2013, no. 17, pp. 917–920 (in Russian).
- Sivochalova O.V., Fesenko M.A., Gainullina M.K., Denisov E.I., Golovaneva G.V. Professional'nyi risk reproduktivnykh narushenii, problemy i printsipy prognozirovaniya ikh u rabotnikov pri vozdeistvii khimicheskikh faktorov [Occupational risk for reproductive disturbances, problems and principles of their prediction in workers exposed to chemical factors]. Sovremennye problemy gigieny i meditsiny truda: Nauchno-prakticheskaya konfer-entsiya, Ufa, 2015, pp. 422–428 (in Russian).
- Rukovodstvo po gigienicheskoi otsenke faktorov rabochei sredy i trudovogo protsessa. Kriterii i klassifikatsiya uslovii truda [Guidelines on hygienic assessment of working environment and working process factors. Working conditions criteria and classification. Р. 2.2.2006-05]. Moscow, Federal'nyi tsentr gigieny i epidemiologii Rospotrebnadzora Publ., 2005, 142 p. (in Russian).
- Sivochalova O.V., Fesenko M.A., Golovaneva G.V.Denisov E.I. Sokhranenie i ukreplenie reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya rabotnikov professii vysokogo riska: problemy i perspektivy [Protection and Improvement of Reproductive Health of Workers with High Risk Professions]. Vestnik Rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta, 2013, no. 5–6, pp. 73–77 (in Russian).
- Alex M.R. Occupational hazards for pregnant nurses. American Journal of Nursing. 2011, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 28–37. DOI: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000393056.01687.40
- Henrotin J.B., Vaissière M., Etaix M., Dziurla M., Radauceanu A., Malard S., Lafon D. Deprivation, occupational hazards and perinatal outcomes in pregnant workers. Occup Med (Lond), 2017, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 44–51. DOI: 10.1093/occmed/kqw148.
- Henrotin J.B., Vaissière M., Etaix M., Dziurla M., Malard S., Lafon D. Exposure to occupational hazards for pregnancy and sick leave in pregnant workers: a cross-sectional study. Ann Occup Environ Med, 2017, vol. 29, pp. 12. DOI: 10.1186/s40557-017-0170-3.
- Salihu H.M., Myers J., August E.M. Pregnancy in the workplace. Occup Med (Lond), 2012, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 88–97. DOI: 10.1093/occmed/kqr198.