Contraceptive behavior as risk factor for reproductive health of junior students attending a medical university
T.N. Govyazina, Yu.A. Utochkin
Perm State Medical University named after Academician E.A. Wagner, 26 Petropavlovskaya Str., Perm, 614000, Russian Federation
1–3 year students attending medical and preventive faculty of a medical university were our research object. Our research had many stages, and at the first one our goal was to examine and to assess basic behavioral risks for reproductive health of students attending medical and preventive faculty of a medical university. We conducted a sociological examination via questioning. 428 students were questioned as per materials collecting program which included 74 parameters; they accounted for 91.6 % out of the overall official number of students, 45.0 % male students and 40.0 % female students combined work and studies.
We detected that, as per questioning results, the specific weight of students who took care of their health amounted to 79.2 % boys and 95.2 % girls. However, the students tended to have bad habits, i.e. constant alcohol intake or smoking. And although information on diseases prevention and on how to pursue healthy lifestyle was perfectly available to them, students didn't try to use it and preserve their health. All the respondents said they were against abortion. Girls were likely to adopt a complex approach when choosing a contraceptive, they resorted to hormonal agents, and, with their partners' consent, to condoms. But they often took hormonal agents without any consultations with a gynecologist or an endocrinologist. Contraceptives were rather rarely applied, and students appeared to have no knowledge on risk factors causing reproductive health deterioration. They also tended to be negligent and too self-confident when it came to reproductive health protection. A risk of abortions was very high for girls who didn't use contraceptives, and also all students ran rather high risk of catching sexual diseases.
Sexual education is needed to correct contraceptive behavior; medical workers are a main source of information on reproductive health of young people in 7–10 % cases only. We need to create interactive educational programs on health protection at university level and to involve specialists from health centers and antenatal clinics to participate in them.
- Davidyan O.V., Davidyan K.V. Planirovanie sem'I I okhrana reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya [Planning a family and reproductive health protection]. Molodoi uchenyi, 2011, no. 1, pp. 256–257 (in Russian).
- Egorova E.I. Puti sovershenstvovaniya okhrany reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya studentov vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii [Ways of perfection of protection of reproductive health of students of higher educational institutions]. Rossiiskii mediko-biologicheskii vestnik im. akademika I.P. Pavlova, 2010, no. 1, pp. 80–84 (in Russian).
- Zaitseva M.A., Shamatonova G.L. Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e studencheskoi molodezhi: sostoyanie i problemy [Reproductive health of young students: status and issues]. Formy i metody sotsial'noi raboty v razlichnykh sferakh zhiznedeyatel'nosti: Materialy V mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi 25-letiyu sotsial'noi raboty v Rossii [Forms and techniques of social work in various fields of activities: Materials of the V international theoretical and practical conference, devoted to 25-th anniversary of social work in Russia]. Ulan-Ude, 2016, pp. 126–127 (in Russian).
- Kozachuk L.V. Profilaktika narushenii reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya u studentov [Prevention of reproductive health disorders in students]. Nauchnyi al'manakh, 2015, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 496–498 (in Russian).
- Opyt razrabotki prognosticheskoi modeli dlya otsenki sostoyaniya reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya sotsial'no-adaptirovannoi molodezhi / T.I. Dolgikh, G.V. Chekmarev, D.A. Serbaev, T.V. Kadtsyna [Creation experience of predictive model to assess the reproductive health status of social-adapted youngs]. Sibirskii meditsinskii zhurnal (Irkutsk), 2013, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 97–101 (in Russian).
- Okhrana zdorov'ya materi i rebenka i planirovanie sem'i: kachestvo pomoshchi: reproduktivnoe zdorov'e: rol' VOZ v global'noi strategii: doklad General'nogo direktora [Protecting a mother and a child's health and planning a family: quality of aid: reproductive health: a role WHO plays in the global strategy: report by Director-General]. Geneva, World Health Organization, 1995, 19 p. (in Russian).
- Pavlova L.A., Ermolaeva E.V. Zdorov'e i zdorovyi obraz zhizni rossiiskogo studenchestva [Health and healthy lifestyle of Russian students]. Byulleten' meditsinskikh internet-konferentsii, 2016, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 101–102 (in Russian).
- Pakhomova Zh.V. Uroven' informirovannosti studentov v voprosakh reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya [Students' awareness on reproductive health issues]. Zhurnal nauchnykh statei Zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke, 2011, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 391–392 (in Russian).
- Pakhomova Zh.V., Pakhomova A.I., Pakhomova N.I. Rasprostranennost' vrednykh privychek sredi studencheskoi molodezhi kak pokazatel' otnosheniya k svoemu zdorov'yu [Bad habits prevalence among young students as a parameter showing attitude towards one's health]. Zhurnal nauchnykh statei Zdorov'e i obrazovanie v XXI veke, 2012, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 161–162 (in Russian).
- Petrov Yu.A. Informirovannost' studentov meditsinskikh vuzov v voprosakh kontratseptsii [The features of contraceptive behavior of the medical students]. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamental'nykh issledovanii, 2016, no. 5–5, pp. 751–753 (in Russian).
- Kutsenko I.P., Kravtsova E.I., Danilova N.R., Khorol'skaya A.E. Razrabotka i vnedrenie informatsionno-obrazovatel'noi programmy po okhrane reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya studentov [Creation and implementation of information and educational program on students' reproductive health protection]. Mezhdunarodnyi zhurnal eksperimental'nogo obrazovaniya, 2012, no. 4–2, pp. 130–133 (in Russian).
- Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e naseleniya Rossii 2011: Rezyume otcheta [Reproductive health of the Russian Federation population in 2011: Summary of the report]. Moscow, Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoi statistiki Publ., 2012, 60 p. (in Russian).
- Sazhina N.S. Okhrana reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya podrostkov kak problema sotsial'noi bezopasnosti v Rossii [Protecting teenagers' reproductive health as a social security issue in Russia]. Sborniki konferentsii NITs Sotsiosfera, 2014, no. 27, pp. 21–23 (in Russian).
- Stetsenko A.P., Govyazina T.N. Rol' akusherki v sokhranenii reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya zhenshchin [A midwife's role in preserving women's reproductive health]. Innovatsionnye podkhody v reshenii aktual'nykh problem srednego professional'nogo obrazovaniya: sbornik materialov mezhregional'noi pedagogicheskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Innovative approaches in solving vital tasks of secondary vocational education: collected materials of international pedagogical theoretical and practical conference]. In: L.A. Ponomarevoi ed. Syzran', 2016, pp. 75–78 (in Russian).
- Stetsenko A.P., Govyazina T.N. Formirovanie reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya i profilaktika bakterial'nogo vaginoza [Reproductive health formation and bacterial vaginosis prevention]. Luchshee iz opyta prepodavaniya: Materialy Vserossiiskoi zaochnoi nauchno-pedagogicheskoi konferentsii [The best teaching experience: Materials of All-Russian correspondence scientific and pedagogical conference]. Saransk, Saranskii meditsinskii kolledzh Publ., 2016, pp. 161–163 (in Russian).
- Tarusin D.N., Rumyantsev G.A., Gavrilova L.V. Okhrana reproduktivnogo zdorov'ya mal'chikov [Protecting boys' reproductive health]. Praktika pediatra, 2007, no. 5, pp. 12–17.
- Sharafutdinova L.A., Gurova Z.G. Reproduktivnoe zdorov'e i povedenie studentov, obucha-yushchikhsya v vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniyakh [Reproductive health and behaviour in students of higher educational institutions]. Meditsinskii vestnik Bashkortostana, 2011, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 25–27.